Cyclist with 80cc engine on their mountain bike failed to stop for police then fell into a bush

FatBob

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2020
Greater Manchester

From Manchester Evening News:
A cyclist who installed an 80cc engine onto their mountain bike failed to stop for police then fell into a bush.
Traffic officers pursued the rider in Leigh on Tuesday evening (September 8).
They had fitted their standard mountain bike with an 80cc engine - which can power vehicles to reach speeds of up to around 40 miles per hour.
Officers said the rider had 'changed the use of the bike to become a motor vehicle' and should therefore have been insured.
The cyclist led police on 40mph chase before hitting a pothole on Orchard Lane and falling into a bramble bush, police said.
They were then summoned under the Road Traffic Act.
Alongside a picture of the mountain bike, GMP Traffic tweeted: "When you stick an 80cc engine onto a mountain bike you have changed it's use to become a motor vehicle requiring insurance and a valid driver licence.
"When you fail to stop for #traffic it's only going to end one way! Sec165rta and a summons #RPUwest."
In a second tweet, an officer added: "This is the strangest pursuit I've ever had and it even managed to get up to 40mph before the rider hit the big pot holes down Orchard Lane, Leigh and fell into a bramble Bush."

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The other major issue beside illegality is the chance that an innocent vulnerable road user could have been injured or killed if hit, not with standing the brakes would unlikely be able to stop the bike properly.
Problem is the punishment will be laughable, jail sentence is too harsh for such an act and any fine will be small change. The law needs to hit them hard in the pocket with a fine that would hurt them more, a driving ban or points won't deter these jokers even if they had a licence.
One dangerous contraption will be removed from the road but these jokers will build another one on an equally cheap £50 bike.

Likewise scooters are slowly becoming a menace, this week I have encountered one petrol scooter on the road and yesterday two guys on an electric one batting a long the pavement on a shop parade.

Last edited:
Reactions: FatBob

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
I live quite close to a school, at kicking out time the kids jump on their scooters and their mates/girlfriends climb on too and off they shoot in the middle of the road riding 2-up.
The other thing I keep seeing is scooter riders texting on their phones, it amazes me they can be sold as it's still illegal to ride one.

RobN

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
I mentioned seeing a couple of these locally and I fear it is bringing unwanted attention to ebikes.
They are noisy as hell and I have seen them being ridden on the pavement so there is no place for them.
Probably a bit contradictory as my motor is not street legal but I ride it sensibly and respect the rules of the road ie ,stopping at traffic lights etc, so im hoping the police don't start having a purge on all ebikes.

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
Probably a bit contradictory as my motor is not street legal but I ride it sensibly and respect the rules of the road
Obviously not otherwise you would not be riding it, you can't cherry pick the rules you want and disregard the others and then moan about other peoples illegal choices.

Reactions: RobN

Advertisers