Cyclists claim they are being cheated from top spots on Strava by e-bike users

Oct 25, 2006
Why does anyone use Strava anyway? Can't they just enjoy cycling?

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon/Dorset
Damn cheating ebikers, they should be ashamed of themselves;). Maybe they just do it to upset those who take it all a bit too seriously.

Sep 18, 2018
I set my Strava to private because I accidentally took a few KOMs. Until Strava add in a default e-ride option.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well they will have to buy ebikes or just up the drugs :p

Adamski

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 27, 2018
ACES!

I shall hunt hills and KOM them!

Deus

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2014
Dewsbury
Strava say ebike users have a different leaderboard if there is one i cant find it

Mar 23, 2018
St Leonards, England
Strava say ebike users have a different leaderboard if there is one i cant find it
It doesn't matter how many leader boards they have, I'll never be on any of them. To paraphrase Arlo Guthrie (c. 1969) 'I don't want a pickle. Just want to ride my e-bicycle.'

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
It's not searchable in the way cycling and running segments are, but there are e-bike segments out there, I've made a few over the years.

In the edit section of a Srava ride you can change the activity type to e-bike afterwhich you can create a segment, or see any that have been created by others that are only accesable when doing an ebike activity. Only problen is that because Strava wont make an ebike activity tab alongside Run, Swim, Ride, then this is only available after the fact.
If I made such a segment and if I was beaten by someone using a dongle, would I cry Cheat?
Really? Life is too short...
I like Strava! I like the way I can tot up my rides and runs, I like the way I can seperate my totalls on different bikes, plan rides, sea heatmaps of where others have been, Download and follow other peoples rides, and at the end of the year be amazed by how far I have ridden and run.
Not everything is a competition..

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
You can set an android device to e-bike, and it will always be on e-bike as its default setting until you change it again.

Sep 18, 2018
You can set an android device to e-bike, and it will always be on e-bike as its default setting until you change it again.
Nice. May have been a recent change as it wasn't permanent when I first played with it.

Mine is sent from my garmin device through garmin connect so not sure if that will work. But I stopped being concerned about it a while ago and if "propper" cyclists don't like it .. tough tityy