Cyclotricity 250/1000W blues!

sgibbins

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 31, 2019
Hi all; mix of a rant and question here.

A few months ago I built my first pedelec - a cheap-as-chips Gumtree mountain bike + £120 eBay kit + £150 36V battery - was really impressed with it, and decided to go the whole hog and get a decent bike and decent kit.

I opted for a Giant Roam 2 - it's lightweight and a hybrid, and I enjoy riding it. I went for the Cyclotricity 250W/1000W conversion kit, as I have land where I can ride it on full power.

What I did not expect was the amount of faff that ensued. The kit arrived very promptly....but with the wrong controller. Emailed back and forth with Cyclotricity, and eventually got a replacement sent through a week later. In the mean time I have to do some buggering about to get the wheel +freewheel+hydraulic brakes to fit in the frame, but eventually managed it, albeit with lots of swearing.

Controller arrived, went to put it all together tonight...and found that the cable for the controller to brakes/throttle/display was cracked and would not stay in properly. GRRR!

Have just emailed to get a replacement. I have been very underwhelmed with their customer service, as they are very slow to reply, and managed to get so much wrong in the first place. Has anyone else had similar issues?

Also, for the brief moment that I got the wheel to spin holding the cable in place by hand, the display was not showing the speed at all...do I need the PAS system to do this, or is it an error with the display?

Sorry for the rant - has anyone else used this kit, and if so, what do they think?