Cyclotricity 250W conversion kit

prb

Just Joined
Sep 11, 2014
There has been little written about the Cyclotricity Kit in recent time.
Here are my thoughts after 1000miles + and motors fitted to both my and my wife's bikes.
We are in our 70's, enjoy rides of 30 miles or so and were finding that the hills had got steeper!
In addition I have had some medical problems together with a weak R Leg.
Answer - convert our road bikes - an older men's Halfords Carrera and a recent Ridgeway ladies bike.
We had the 250W front wheel motor, pedal assist and the advanced LCD monitor fitted by Cyclotricity with 15Ah batteries to both, mine on the water bottle fitting and my wife's on the rear pannier. The mileage from the 15Ah battery, using some power all the time, minimal on the flat and maximum up v.steep hills, was 55 for myself ( 11 stone) and 65 for my wife who is lighter and probably pedals harder! The terrain was a hilly Hampshire countryside.
They have worked trouble free for 22 months with 1100miles on my bike and 850 on hers. Our recent holiday was to cycle the French Velo Vert along the canal from Bordeaux to Toulouse doing some 45 miles a day with plenty of battery power left at the end of the day. The route was flat except for the Chambre d'hotes at night which were always uphill to get there!
My thoughts are that we have found then fantastic. They do what they say. They will not take you up a very steep hill unless you pedal really hard but that is common sense. The motor strains at speeds much less than 7mph under load. We have never used the throttle to date but have just readjusted the position of this to enable a walking speed on a very steep hill if we had to get off with loaded panniers.
So far so good and we are pleased to continue to use our old cycles with their added Pedassist! There are many such kits on the market but here is a story about this model.

aardvark5

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 25, 2014
ST3 Blurton
I have 250 watt Cyclotricity kits on both my Trek bikes and they've never given me a problem but I only commute 10 miles a day come rain or shine. I did have a rear 500 watt but found it went too fast on the throttle, took too much juice and was very heavy to ride when I ran out of power twice. I had problems with a Cyclotricity Stealth bike a few years ago and their support was second to none. I ended up putting the Stealth kit onto one of my Treks.

Reactions: Andy88

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
I have 250 watt Cyclotricity kits on both my Trek bikes and they've never given me a problem but I only commute 10 miles a day come rain or shine. I did have a rear 500 watt but found it went too fast on the throttle, took too much juice and was very heavy to ride when I ran out of power twice. I had problems with a Cyclotricity Stealth bike a few years ago and their support was second to none. I ended up putting the Stealth kit onto one of my Treks.
Could you tell me which trek models you have, in in the process of buying a bike for conversion.

aardvark5

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 25, 2014
ST3 Blurton
Could you tell me which trek models you have, in in the process of buying a bike for conversion.
I have a Trek 7.5FX Hybrid and a Trek 4300 MTB.
The Hybrid cost £750 and I bought the 4300 for £160 but to be honest if I only had one bike I would choose the 4300 because it is an all year bike and just as fast.
I haven't got a picture of the converted 4300 but I put normal 2" tyres on and the conversion looks exactly like the 7.5FX.