Cyclotricity easy upgrades

Tangsoo

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2014
Been running my Cyclotricity front conversion kit for about 100 miles now, no issues, spare battery capacity after the 18 miles. But, I'm starting to think upgrades - any easy ones I can do to this kit? If not are the bits compatible with some other upgrades I can bolt on, for example better controller etc? I know the warranty will be gone but I'm happy to take that on board.

D

Deleted member 4366

I've still got a couple of my controllers with LCDs left. If you want more control over the pedal assist power. I can adjust the power up to about 19 amps depending how/where you mount it for a bit more power. Alternatively, you can solder your existing shunt to get a bit more climbing power, though top speed will be the same.
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/mxus-motors-and-lcd-display-controllers.15157/

If you want more speed, you need more volts, which means a new battery or a booster pack.

A wattmeter is a useful addition. It tells you a lot about how the control system works and how much power you use in different circumstances. It.s also useful for predicting battery range.You can make your own shunt out of a piece of 14g wire for neater installation.

There's loads of things you can do to improve your bike:
Better forks
Shimano M590 crankset with 48T chainring for more relaxed pedalling:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-FC-M590-Deore-MTB-Chainset-/171167604237?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item27da625e0d
Suntour NCX sprung seat-pin
SKS Beavertail mudguards

Tangsoo

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2014
Hi, would buy one of your controllers - but I don't have pedal sensors, just the thumb throttle. Any good with your controller?

Edit just seen they come with the pedal sensors so yes pls, let me know your bank details and I'll do a transfer if that's ok.19A sound a nice figure.

As an electronics eng' I get the theory of the extra volts of a booster pack but how would one do the practicalities, cell type, charger etc?

Tempted to build a DIY batt terminal welder and buy some cells bulk..

D

Deleted member 4366

I sent you a PM re the controller.

For a few cells in a booster pack, it's OK to solder them into a small pack. You can buy 18650 cells from loads of places, but be aware that many Chinese ones are counterfeit, so often don't perform like they should. Genuine ones from UK suppliers are fairly expensive, but you only need eight cells as long as you get good ones. You could try your local computer repair shop to see if they have any scrap laptop batteries that you can reclaim the cells from, but if you go this route, you have to do a lot of testing of individual cells to get the good ones.

Once you've made your booster pack, you only have to charge it and monitor it. You charge it with any balance charger. Here's a schematic with a 2S4P configuration of 18650 cells which must be a of 2500maH each. 2s5P might be better if you have 2200maH ones.

Booster Wiring2.jpg

Tangsoo

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2014
Looking at the 7.4v model hard packs @ 5000 Mah with 20/30c rate, could I use 4 of these in parallel? Looked at the 18650 individual cells but there seems to be a lot of what look like dodgy surefire cells advertised?

D

Deleted member 4366

Yes, but four will give you 20aH. Do you need that much? Lipos are sometimes over-rated for capacity, so if you have a 10aH cyclotricity battery, 15 aH of lipo should do it. If you have an 8.8aH bottle battery, 10aH of lipo should be enough.

Tangsoo

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2014
Getting through updating the kit, pedelec sensor is a pain as my crank's octalink Used the jigsaw to cut out the middle -it all had to go as the ring nearly fits over the bottom bracket part of the frame, and then epoxy resin did the job of holding the magnet ring in place.

Just hope I don't have to change the rings anytime soon (I doubt it, only use the top since fitting the motor, but yes, they need some lub'..)

Sensor will be mounted tomorrow night, takes a bit of messing around getting the distance right. Should just fit snug behind the rear of the bottom bracket shell, might make a bracket to hold it rather than bending/Devcon-ing the existing one.

Last edited:

Tangsoo

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2014
Got it all fitted and just rode a 10 mile shake-down.

First impressions are it's definitely got a little more torque but the biggest difference is the 5 stage PAS and in-line brake sensors. I'd done over 100 miles on just a thumb throttle, no way I'd got back to just a throttle now..

Going to try the extra battery soon.