cyclotricity kit

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
the cyclotricity kit appears to be one that you only buy the components that you are going to need.
i have looked at the price list of these and cannot see any details about a charge level indicator if a bare bones kit is ordered,
by this i mean a kit that only has a throttle ,a rear rack battery and of course the wheel.
from what i can gather these components are all that are required for a throttle only conversion but it,s unclear about any charge level indicator , unless i,m missing some thing.
can any body help with this and the overal cost?
you will note that i have posted a question about the new kits from woosh and ask about the warranty if fitted myself.
this is something that i didn,t think about with kits and does any body know if the cyclotriity kits have any warranty if you fit them yourself
thanks in advance
stevie

SAD12

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2013
Nr Bromyard, Herefds.
I've fitted a couple of cyclotricity kits and have chosen to go for the cheaper LED with the PAS. I think it makes things much better and more smooth to ride than on just throttle. You can choose the assistance (3 levels with the LED) and you also get a battery indicator incorporated in with it. Without the LED or LCD then you'd have to rely on the battery indicator on the battery itself. I've also fitted a speedometer and tend to rely on the mileage covered to give me a more accurate estimation of how far I've got left.

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
thanks for the reply
so if a throttle only option is fitted then the only indication of any sort is on the battery itself.
fitting an independant speedo/ mileometer is a good idea

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
Without pas, I think you'll be disappointed with throttle only. I suppose it would depend on whether you have ever ridden a bike with pas or not.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I fitted one of these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/K1BO-DC-15-to-120V-Waterproof-Red-LED-Panel-Meter-DC-Digital-Voltmeter-Two-wire-/261280581156?
I can see the battery charge level throughout the ride.
I took the battery to empty once which showed 33.3 volts so I know how much I have in hand.
I use throttle only which suits me perfectly for the way I want to ride - as much pedaling as possible without power and only using throttle as a boost for the knee destroying bits, some of which can be as short as 2 or 3 meters.
Mostly off road so works for me.
I should think for commuting or if you want a little help all the time the PAS may be more suitable.
I'm no expert as I've never used PAS, just that throttle is spot on for me.
The voltmeter is handy though thanks to a post by d8veh recommending it.

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
I didn't realise you were throttle only Dave. I daresay you've mentioned it but I've not registered it.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I didn't realise you were throttle only Dave. I daresay you've mentioned it but I've not registered it.
It's on my signature Phil but doesn't seem to show if using tapatalk.
I think different things suit different folk, I would have ordered the PAS system originally but the bike I first fitted the kit to would have been a bit awkward though it will be easy to fit to the Trek if (or more likely when) I need to.
Maybe it's just that I've got used to it now, I no longer use the throttle as an on/off switch as I did for the first few rides and have grown accustomed to using part throttle or just short burst to get me over humps.
Even with PAS I know I would always want a full speed thumb throttle as well.
Dave.
Edit, to clarify, I should have said that I always pedal at the same time as using throttle, the motor for me is just occasional extra help.

Last edited:

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Aah. Tapatalk is my main tool for catching up on posts. I'm all for pas - rarely use the throttle at all, though I agree that it's reassuring to know it's there should I ever want a rest whilst still making progress :eek:

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
I find thumb throttle is great for singletrack & fairly tricky offroad, but always use pas on the road - Too lazy to keep me thumb steady for miles & miles &.....

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
I find thumb throttle is great for singletrack & fairly tricky offroad, but always use pas on the road - Too lazy to keep me thumb steady for miles & miles &.....
Now that I don't really do with my current bike, but I'm wondering about converting my mtb. Trouble is, the frame triangle is tiny, and I don't think a bottle battery would fit.:( Not sure a rack battery would suit off road...

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Now that I don't really do with my current bike, but I'm wondering about converting my mtb. Trouble is, the frame triangle is tiny, and I don't think a bottle battery would fit.:( Not sure a rack battery would suit off road...
You're right, a rack battery isn't ideal though you do get used to it.
Be careful with seat post racks!

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
does any body know if the cyclotriity kits have any warranty if you fit them yourself
thanks in advance
stevie
Getting back on topic, I would ring/email them to ask, Like you I never gave this a thought and assumed if fitted correctly would have a warranty.
I haven't had a problem with mine (touching wood) since I fitted it.
The new woosh kits look good!

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
thanks for the comments.
i only have a throttle and use it in exactly the same way as DC
i have not really tried pas other than a couple of test rides so maybe i should
Hatti has replied on the warranty issue and i am happy with the terms of this
i am going to contact cyclotricity and see if the same applies with them
ta

Last edited:

Tangsoo

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2014
i had the Cyclotricity kit. Get the PAS, it make it sooo much better than having to hold the thumb throttle "roughly" where you want it.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
sounds like both would be good
You could always get throttle first and add PAS if you feel there's something missing.
£100 seems a lot to add for the Cyclotricity LED PAS system, maybe it's possible to fit a cheaper after market option.
I get 21/22mph with throttle though I believe it's possible to make this happen with the LCD.
Dave.