Dapu MD250 motor and controller wiring identification

spuddle

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 16, 2019
Hi
For my sins I have bought a Dawes Swift mid motor e-bike. It is in some disrepair missing the battery, and the controller was hanging loosely out of its box at the end of the battery jack-in assembly. It did come with some spare parts, a controller, a motor and an LCD unit all of unknown condition.

Before I dive in and invest in a battery, I want to try and check out some of the fitted/spare parts. Unfortunately Dawes ceased to produce this bike early this year, and despite polite responses to emails, it is obvious they have little or no information on the electrics on the bike (I think they have gone back to selling just ordinary bikes). I have emailed DAPU but they do not respond to emails - I even tried translating one into their language using an internet translator, but still no response. It would appear from their website that they are now producing a newer version of this motor and the controller (perhaps they threw out all the old information!!).

Anyway I am trying to identify the wiring out of the controller and the wiring going into the motor.

There are two black covered cables going into the motor, one contains the three phase wires and Hall sensing wires which is fine, but I would like to know what the other one has in it (eight wires inside).

The wiring on the controller I can identify is as follows:
Red and Black power in
Black cable from Motor containing phase and hall wiring.
Red, white and Black cable from the gear sensor
Black and red cable from pickup on rear wheel (speed?)
Red, Black, Green Blue and yellow - LCD and switch on handlebars
Two Blue and red connectors - lights?

Unknown
Black cable from motor containing 8 wires
Two connectors which were not wired out - one with Black, brown, grey, black and red - one with red, black and blue.

It would be great to have a schematic diagram but conversations with a few bike shops would seem to indicate they don't get any!!

Photos attached. Any assistance would be appreciated

thanks

DAPU Controller 1.JPG
DAPU Controller 2.JPGDAPU MD250 motor1.JPGDAPU MD250 Motor2.JPG

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
That's a standard ebike controller. They all work more or less the same. Can you confirm whether there are 8 or 9 pins in the motor connector?

I can only guess at the other two connectors as one for programming and the other for a throttle.

The other wires from the motor must include the pedal sensor, but I can't think why 8 are needed.

If the motor has the standard 9 pin connector, you should be able to get it working with any standard controller.

Last edited:

spuddle

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 16, 2019
Hi
Thanks for responding. I'm happy the one cable with the phase wires is sorted as there are 3 large gauge wires (Phase) and 5 small gauge (Hall).
The other cable has got me stumped as it has 8 small gauge wires. I suspect they have something to do with pedal assist and/or torque sensing, but what else I don't know.

cheers

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The other cable has got me stumped as it has 8 small gauge wires. I suspect they have something to do with pedal assist and/or torque sensing, but what else I don't know.
that one looks very much like a Julet 4 in one waterproof cable.
If you need Julet cable system parts, I keep them in various lengths, 90cm, 120cm and 140cm, brake levers, throttle etc

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
that one looks very much like a Julet 4 in one waterproof cable.
If you need Julet cable system parts, I keep them in various lengths, 90cm, 120cm and 140cm, brake levers, throttle etc
It looks like one, but that's not its function because it connects to the motor.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi
Thanks for responding. I'm happy the one cable with the phase wires is sorted as there are 3 large gauge wires (Phase) and 5 small gauge (Hall).

cheers
I need to know how many pins in the motor power connector, not how many wires, so that I can help you with an alternative way to get the motor working.