Dashboard

Andrew Moult

Just Joined
Jul 8, 2020
Pelsall
Hi I’m an e-bike rider on a special hand trike as I’m disabled, I’ve recently had trouble with a broken wire, on the dashboard plug and a broken lead from the brake lever switch. I have a Cyclotricity 250WATT 48v system

I have managed to use 2 core audio cable to lengthen the brake switch cable to stop it breaking again and re-soldered the wire back onto the switch with great success. I think the main reason for wire breakages is the rotation of the hand pedals. Has anyone else got a hand cycle with similar problems and if so how have you overcome them?

Andrew Moult

Just Joined
Jul 8, 2020
Pelsall
Pictures of the Brake or dashboard or both
Hi I have posted a picture of the brake and pedal system, the dashboard I am picking up today, once re-installed I will post. I have moved most of the equipment like the throttle which sat in front of the brake, which was how it’s supposed to sit, however until I can sort this out, I want to avoid any more breakages. I am pretty well engineer minded, I put a 21 speed system on my trike using an internal 3 speed Sturmey Archer hub with a 7 speed cassette block to make it 21 speed despite that I was told it couldn’t be done, I have done over 850 miles since I transformed it. But this wire breakage is frustrating to say the least.

Attachments

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I can see the problem. All the electrical cables are going round as you pedal (Handel?), so the individual conductors will eventually break. Can you mount the control panel on something that doesn't move because that's the only thing that will leave you stranded if a wire breaks?

Andrew Moult

Just Joined
Jul 8, 2020
Pelsall
Hi thank you for the reply, I have moved it all except the brake cut off, the only thing now is the throttle which I very seldom use will leave me wi in a vulnerable position as I will only have one hand on the steering whilst holding the steering. I would use the throttle if my breathing was struggling. Due to my lung and heart problems.