Dead battery on Hybrid 26 after 7 months

Alan Stewart

Just Joined
Jul 19, 2017
Houghton Regis
Hi everyone.

This is a long story which I am going to shorten somewhat. I purchased a Hybrid 26 in April 2016 from A2B shop. I purchased a brand new battery in which I paid extra for a two-year warranty. In Nov 2016, the bike was stolen from a shopping precinct. I had removed the computer and of course had the charger at home so the bike was pretty much useless to the thief. To make sure that the thief could not go on to A2B and order a charger and computer screen, I reported it stolen to A2B, the police, the bike register and of course my insurance company. The latter subsequently paid out for a new Obree which I also purchased from A2B

About 2 weeks later the Hybrid was recovered having been abandoned in a field. When the police brought it back to me the thieves had maliciously cut all the wires that go inside the frame. I contacted A2B and they said it would be possible to fix. I contacted my insurance company and ‘bought’ the bike back off them for a fee. It took until February 2017 before A2B supplied the parts required as they had to come from Germany. Still, two months is too long for shipping a part. However once fitted, the bike was once again up and running. During this downtime, I did charge the battery once every ten days or so, even though I could not use the bike. It was kept inside my workshop which is heated all day. At that point, I was happy as we now had two pedelecs to use as a family. During the months of March and April, I used the Hybrid to get to the leisure centre 8 miles away where I play badminton so it’s a 16-mile round trip. It behaved perfectly. One morning in early May I went to use it and after having had the battery on charge all night, it failed to switch on. Fortunately, I had the obree. After I got home, I put the Hybrid battery back on charge. It went to amber as if there was no charge. I left in on charge overnight. In the morning, the battery would not switch on. I contacted A2B who told me about a trick to force a trickle charge into the cells. So I did that twice but no luck. On 18th May 2017, I sent the battery to A2B. They still have it as of 19th July 2017.

They tried the trickle charge but no luck. So they opened the battery and there was water damage. The bike had received a right good soaking once in April when caught in a downpour but they have stated the water damage was not recent it had been done some time ago, possibly when the bike was stolen and it had corroded the cells over time causing the failure in May.

The situation at present is that A2B are saying that because the bike was stolen, it effectively changed ownership and the battery warranty is nullified. They are also saying that a gasket is damaged on the battery, as if I am supposed to know that and somehow repair it. They also stated that the gasket damage also probably happened when the bike was stolen. A convenient theme was emerging. They also state that water damage is not covered under the warranty anyway. They are blaming Hero Eco for taking that stance.

This seems ridiculously unfair. On a bike I owned for 7 months before it was stolen in which I took out a 2-year warranty on the battery to be told that I need to purchase a new one for hundreds of pounds is just not acceptable.

If this truly is Hero Eco saying all that, then that is very poor. When a bike is stolen the battery warranty should not be nullified.

Anyways I have eventually got to a question for you all, actually two.

1) Has anyone else ever had a battery warrant nullified because their bike was stolen?

2) The battery is a greenway model ref AX031005-5 36v/ 11Ah lithium Hy26. Does anyone know where I can get one of these batteries at a reasonable cost or if it is possible to re-cell it.

Anyone here from Hero Eco who would like to comment on this?

Thanks,

Alan.

D

Deleted member 4366

It depends what the water damaged. If it's the BMS, then a re-cell won't help.

The water damage clearly wasn't done when it was stolen otherwise it would have been dead when you first got it back.

You have a warranty with whoever sold you the battery. Write them a letter to tell them that you want a replacement within a timescale or you'll pursue the matter further. If that doesn't work, go to CAB and get a solicitors letter. The way I see it is that your contract is with them for that battery. if it changes ownership, the new owner has to make a new contract, but you still have your contract and ownership. whatever happened in between is irrelevant. Your warranty isn't cancelled when someone lends their bike to their brother for a week.

I also have experience of A2B warranty and support. I found it terrible. I would advise anybody not to buy an A2B. You can't fix one yourself, so you need a good warranty and repair service. That's if you can find anybody that wants to try and fix one of their bikes. Most of the people selling them wouldn't have a clue.

Advertisers