Death by dangerous cycling...

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Cycling UK said that 99.4% of deaths on the road in the last ten years involved a motor vehicle.
I wonder how many deaths involved walking whilst using a mobile phone. :eek:

This is my dashcam footage, whilst travelling to work, 27/12/17. The woman was on her phone whilst walking in the road! Fortunately, I didn't have a 'Merry Christmas'. :)

• :D
Reactions: TZC

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
What about death by stupid pedestrians walking around starring at there phones
There is a jaywalking law, but not enough police around to enforce it. However I did see a woman in East Grinstead get a really tough ticking off by a police officer who saw her walk out in front of my motorbike without looking. I was doing a cautious barely 30 mph so it didn't cause me any bother, no drama.

or listening to music oblivious to there surroundings
Of course that includes many cyclists, even in the congested London rush hours, really daft not being able to hear other traffic, horns, bells and sirens.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
where can you hire a tank from in ny lol

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
You can bet that they will leave huge loopholes in whatever they actually legislate.

If any new law is required, it should cover causing death by any means such as roller skates, scooters, Segways, hoverboards, skis, prams and buggies, or any other form of transport or toy, powered or unpowered, legal or not.

Can't you just see the actual law failing to cover the above, or unicycles, tricycles or any other multi-wheel cycle-like device? Can't you just see this whole story being re-visited in a few years after one of the loopholes has been identified in the wake of a fatal accident?

Also have to ask why only causing death seems to be being considered - what about serious injury?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
There is a jaywalking law, but not enough police around to enforce it.
Not in the UK, pedestrians are permitted to walk on or cross any road other than those where they are specifically prohibited ie motorways, special roads, or any road with appropriate signing in place.
It is also not mandatory for pedestrians to obey signals on light controlled crossings.

wheeler

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and oyster

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Can't you just see the actual law failing to cover the above, or unicycles, tricycles or any other multi-wheel cycle-like device? Can't you just see this whole story being re-visited in a few years after one of the loopholes has been identified in the wake of a fatal accident?
Trikes etc are covered. In all cycling laws but the Countryside Act mention of Bridlepaths, those included are "bicycles, tricycles and bicycles with four or more wheels".

Public use of those other things like Segways etc can be prosecuted under the 1835 Highway Act, though not for dangerous use, but they can also be confiscated.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I often ride the trike on footpaths marked "2 roues interdits" :rolleyes: But it is usually at one in the morning and not during the tourist high season. Only about 10 days to go before I can get back out riding. Yes it is that bad here... :eek:

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

Advertisers