Decathlon Elops ebike

Skysurfer

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2011
I own one. I searched the forum for another owner, nada. Most surprising, as I am so impressed with it.
I went to Decathlon in Stockport to look for a mountain bike, and ended up with an electric bike. Hmm. Well the offer was just too good, Normally £600, this demo model was £400! OK.
I've got bad legs/feet, which is why I found the idea so attractive.
Initial impression: Well built (I'm a hands on Engineer, and know how things should be) and sturdy. The rear hub houses the Nexus internal 7 gears, and a drum brake was there, too!
The brushless motor is fitted to the front hub (all wheel drive ;-).
The (laughingly called) speed controller is mounted on the handlebars, but is not customisable in any way, and is physically delicate (I broke the bracket in the first week). It has three positions, presumably slow/med/fast. Naw. On/off more like. It only reads in Km/hr, & Km. Ah well.
It's a step-thru, very easy to dis/mount.It feels very comfortable to ride, thanks to that big fat gel saddle & front suspension. The seatpost is 30mm dia (how non standard can you get?), and I want to fit a springy post, so I sourced a sleeve to use a 27.2mm.
Power take-up is easy, due to (I presume) a soft start BMS. With pedal assist (Hall effect pedelec on the crank), I can get no more than 18miles, max. It uses a 24v 10Ah Li-Ion battery, a good choice, it's a joy to ride. I even do a fair amount of off road, it copes admirably.
All in all, a really good machine, recommended, certainly at this price :D