Decathlon Elops ebike

Skysurfer

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2011
Reviewer: Skysurfer

Purchased From: Decathlon

Purchase Price: £400 new! (Last one in shop - normally £600)

Time Owned: 18 months

Local Terrain: Flat / Moderate Hills

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Strengths:
Easy to mount (step through), sit up and beg riding position, front wheel drive (I like having all wheel drive :)), Li-Ion battery, front shox, 7 speed Nexus rear hub, rear drum brake, modular carrier, Hall effect crank switch, big name manufacturer.

Weaknesses:
As delivered, the battery is mounted on the handlebars! About as stupid a place as you can get. However, the cables reach the rear carrier, neatly without any mods. So that is where it now lives. It only needs a small bracket making, so that mine now clips on/off to the modular carrier.
The modular carrier is a good idea, or it would be if Decathlon offered anything more than a baby seat to clip on it! The previously offered plastic box is no longer available:mad:
Panniers can be found off the shelf at GoOutdoors to fit the large diameter tubing of the carrier. Although they fit on backwards without mods, I'm not bothered, and neither is my shopping :D
Seatpost is 30mm diameter! Talk about making life difficult. I bought a 30-27.2 sleeve so I can use a springy post;)
The speed controller is supposed to have slow/med/fast, but in reality is only on/off. It doesn't take away the ease of use, as the Hall effect switch on the crank means you just get on and pedal.

Summary:
A well built, strdy e-bike with all the gubbings already there. Move the battery, and you have a bike that will hopefully outlive several battery packs without any extra outlay. Decathlon got it nearly spot-on for me. I'm a happy bunny.

Overall Rating (out of 10) : 8