Decathlon Original 700 e-bike

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Today I had the chance of putting in a few km on my mates bike. He bought it on sale at 30% off retail because, I think, it is a first generation model with a front wheel hub motor. It has a Bafang motor and a 24V battery. I told him the battery was not an issue as he can upgrade to 36V when and if he needs more power, the motor is rated for both voltages. A near new second hand 24V battery would always find a buyer and help reduce the cost of the upgrade keeping his investment under 1000€.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/original-700-electric-bike-id_8328554.html <- current version with rear hub motor.

The reason I was riding the bike is because he broke his chain at the removable link. A short inspection showed the reason why; the small cog on the crankset is bent so changing down from mid gear can cause the chain to block especially if the removable link, which is wider, is at the right spot. I will be taking it back to Decathlon to have the crankset replaced under garantee.

I put in a new link on and set off for a road test. On his commute to work there is a steepish long hill right after leaving his appartment block. I decided to try the climb with only the two bigger cogs changing down from top gear to the lowest on the center cog. By the time I reached the top the motor was making a little bit of noise but nothing horrific, it was working. I managed to maintain 14-15 km/h all the way to the top without pushing too hard on the pedals. I did the same hill on my own bike immediately after to see the difference - not as much as I was expecting.

So what do I think about the bike?

For 699€ it is better value than a 699€ supermarket no name made in China budget pedelec (at least the ones I have seen here). It cost him the price of a kit. The non motorised version of this bike sells for 299.95€ without the rack and halogen lights
Assistance is spot on for his limited needs. His goal is get to work without being all sweaty and not having to find a parking spot. The range advertised is spot on - 40 km per charge.
Other than the bent chainset cog the equipment is OK for an entry level bike. The frame is nice, the ride (fully suspended) comfy as advertised. The brakes work but I can see them chewing through pads because of the weight. The Shimano shifters are precise. The chain is cr.p... The tyres are above average for Decathlon, in general home of the built in puncture...

Front wheel drive? Well this was my first time and I do not like it, there is quite a bit of power steer and the front end just doesn't feel right, at least for a bicycle.

For the reduced sale price and his intended use I think that it is a reasonable deal. With the rear hub motor, a hydraulic front brake and an upgrade to a 36V controller and battery it could be quite a fun little machine with its full suspension. Check the bike components carefully before buying!

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Summer sale in July in Spain, last version of old stock with the front motor.

At 699€ it is good value, at 999€ not so good. I had actually gone to buy him a Rockrider 3.40 to act as a host for a kit. They were on sale at 149€ (the ones in unpopular colours).

Portuguy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 9, 2016
Summer sale in July in Spain, last version of old stock with the front motor.

At 699€ it is good value, at 999€ not so good. I had actually gone to buy him a Rockrider 3.40 to act as a host for a kit. They were on sale at 149€ (the ones in unpopular colours).
i
These sell at 699€ in Portugal also .Ask to buy a demo model and save a hundred or more euros . I nearly did this but instead bought Two Dillenger Cheetahs e bikes for under £400 on special offer in September . £199 each - unbelievable

Portuguy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 9, 2016
Well i also bought the Decathlon 700 e bike which has excellent features and comfort . Very pleased with that model and spec,especially the gears and suspension .Its a lowered crossbar type which i need with hip and knee problem .