Decent track pump

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
After far too long working 7 days a week 18+ hours a day (8 weeks straight) I'm finally back up and running after a lot of difficulties last year. Not been out on my bikes for ages until yesterday when after a decent night's sleep, I finally got on the Kalkhoff again. Was such a joy to be back on my bike.

Now I've got the car again and can ferry stuff back & forth to Devon in the boot, I've decided to treat myself to a decent track pump. Bit of an extravagance but not having to fart about so much with the flimsy "semi-foot pumps" would be a treat. Now that the weather looks like it's going to turn for a spell, thought this would be the perfect time.

Anyone have any recommendations ? I haven't looked into them at all so it's 'ground zero' with no pre-conceptions.

Aushiker

Pedelecer
Personally I am a huge fan of Lezyne pumps and have actually got a couple in for a colleague at work who uses them to pump up tyres on his 4WD when coming out of sand-dune driving country.

The options in their range are listed at http://www.lezyne.com/products-floorpumps.php and IIRC I got in the classic floor pump.

The likes of Chain Reaction Cycles sell them. Maybe not the cheapest pumps around but they are good quality for sure.

Regards
Andrew

Reactions: 103Alex1

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
I second Peerjay's call on that one. I've had my 'JoeBlow' a few years now and although it got broken once at the business end, I found a replacement head on ebay for pennies and it was next day delivery. After a two minute repair, all was well and the pump continues to give good service.

Tom

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
If you have access to a car, or even a car battery and a charger, why noit get a cheap 12 volt compressor?
I have a cheap £5 garage job, and an old SLA battery in a toolbox, with a switch. It's really good, and will put 60psi into my tires, no problem. Also, very handy for my trailer/boat trailer/etc.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I bought a Blackburn track pump a couple of years back and with four bikes to service I should have got one years ago, around £20-00 at the time and the single connector fits both types of common valves without fiddling.
Dave.

drsolly

Pedelecer
Jan 21, 2014
If I'm near the car, then I use the pump part of a get-you-started battery from Halfords. But you asked about a track pump.

I carry a puncture repair kit, even though I haven't had a puncture for a very long time, because of the tyre, tube and liner that I use. But, of course, if I stopped carrying a puncture repair kit, the Pixies of Gotcha would send me a puncture very soon. So I carry a puncture repair kit, but I want it to be as small as I can get.

The limiting factor in the size of the kit, is the size of the pump. I got this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360855296792?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

You can see the pump in the hand, it really is that small. Of course, to pump up a tire would need a zillion strokes, but I'm really not expecting to have to use this, it's just to keep the Pixies of Gotcha happy.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I have a red basic track pump from Halffords, works fine.

Having said that, I've used a Joe Blow and there's no doubt it has a smoother action than mine.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Thanks all. I've done a bit of research following all the recommendations and just ordered a Joe Blow Sport II from Wiggle. Pennies over £30 after Quidco cashback. Looks just what I need & was braced for £85 so well chuffed with the price.

Always tempted with the battery thing but in the end can never be bothered to connect stuff up, so for the sake of a few pumps if it's robust, stable and the connection isn't a load of faffing about it'll be just the job.

Last edited:
Reactions: peerjay56

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Thanks all. I've done a bit of research following all the recommendations and just ordered a Joe Blow Sport II from Wiggle. Pennies over £30 after Quidco cashback. Looks just what I need & was braced for £85 so well chuffed with the price.

Always tempted with the battery thing but in the end can never be bothered to connect stuff up, so for the sake of a few pumps if it's robust, stable and the connection isn't a load of faffing about it'll be just the job.
Alex,

Good choice, the Joe Blow has a lovely smooth, almost hydraulic action which my cheaper pump lacks.

It's only a pump, but for the sake of an extra tenner or so over a cheapie, it's worth it.

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
I've tried a few track pumps over the years, never spending more than about £20, (because I'm a tight git).

Most have been pretty good, with reasonable gauges and so easy to use that I often use them on the car, if a tyre just needs a few PSI to top it up.

I've just bought one from Clas Ohlson though, and it's definitely the best so far. Quite a few ergonomic details that really make it the best so far for me:
  • Steel cylinder
  • extra tall, so less back bending and more air
  • the accurate, full deflection gauge is at the top, so much easier to read !
  • a much longer air line, so tyres can be pumped up on the bench, or behind other bikes
  • a simple two sided head, so that Presta and Schrader valves can be inflated without fiddly adapters.
They list it for £19.95, but I bought one from my local Ohlson shop, where they were on offer for £15.

I find it far superior to the other track pumps anywhere near that price range.

http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Asaklitt-Bicycle-Pump-with-Pressure-Gauge/31-4844

ohlson pump.jpg

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Topeak Joe Blow is the nuts. Can't believe I waited so long. Must have been well skint last year - it was all those accessories I kept buying for the 2-wheeler conversion !

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I like either the Aldi or Lidl track pump which retails for about a fiver. You simply connect the pump to the inner tube valve, move the pump handle up and down and the tyre pressure increases. Brilliant! What else could you possibly want from a pump?

Reactions: oldtom and D C

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I like either the Aldi or Lidl track pump which retails for about a fiver. You simply connect the pump to the inner tube valve, move the pump handle up and down and the tyre pressure increases. Brilliant! What else could you possibly want from a pump?
An accurate and easy to read pressure gauge.:)

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
What else could you possibly want from a pump?
A sturdy stable base, a twin-head connection that doesn't need screwing on, doesn't need changing between Presta & Schrader (and doesn't leak) and a smooth and effortless pump action. Plus a gauge that's easy to read !

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
A sturdy stable base, a twin-head connection that doesn't need screwing on, doesn't need changing between Presta & Schrader (and doesn't leak) and a smooth and effortless pump action. Plus a gauge that's easy to read !
You've just described the Aldi and Lidl pumps. They have it all for around a fiver.

Reactions: OldBob1 and oldtom

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
^^ can't comment on something I haven't seen. But they don't deliver to your door and you can't guarantee they'll be on the shelf if you go in for one ! Anyhow, I'm very happy with my Topeak pump and looks sturdy enough to get abuse without flaking out. Don't grudge a penny of the cost and that's always the test. Thanks peerjay & oldtom for the recommendation.

Reactions: peerjay56