Decisions, Decisions! (Ezee)

redalpha3

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2006
I have about a week before I have to decide whether to buy an Ezee Torq, Cadence or Sprint 7. I live in Durham which is pretty hilly, so some of the posts which suggest the Torq, which appeals to the mountain biker in me, is not a hill climber have concerned me somewhat. I also need quite a "sit up and beg" position due to a back injury. The Cadence looks a bit heavy.
As I've retired (due to afore-mentioned injury) I don't need the bike to commute. I would welcome comments.

Thanks
Pete

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My thoughts are for the Sprint 7, and if I didn't already have a Lafree, I'd probably have bought one of those instead of a Torq for my hilly area. The fact is that the Torq is hard work on steep hills, other than very short ones which can be rushed. It's bottom gear is 58", not as published, and that's a typical middle gear on most bikes. Hill climbing below 12 mph is therefore very tough, since that's also where the high geared motor power rapidly starts to disappear. The manual recommends the Torq for up to 10% (1 in 10) gradients and I agree with that. On 12% (1 in 8) it gets tough, and over that is a real struggle or a walk. The direct drive motor on the Sprint is a bit lower power than the Torq, and direct drive isn't the best for hill climbing, but you've got a good set of low gears in that seven speed hub which makes all the difference.

The Cadence is very sit up and beg with the huge cowhorn handlebars, not to my taste, and it is heavy. The Sprint is a bit lighter and has the saddle quite close to the handlebars so has also got an upright position.

redalpha3

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2006
This makes good sense to me. I have already arranged to meet someone who owns a Sprint (3 speed). It appears that this is how Ezee promotes their product. A very good idea, in my opinion.

I agree with your assessment of the Cadence. Reminds me of the European/US cruisers of yesteryear. It even looks heavy! I envy you your Lafree. I subscribe to A to B magazine which has praised it to the heavens. Needless to say, you can't get new ones anymore!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, the Lafree is as good as A to B have always said, and I bought mine on their say so. It now feels very weak compared with the eZee bikes though, but in fairness, the batteries are getting on for four years old and need renewing. I don't know if you've ever seen the Cadence in the flesh, but when I did it was a shock. It really is a tank, the wide set twin top tubes forming the crossbar look ridiculous to me and necessitate wide set legs! I wouldn't be seen dead on one, and can't understand all those who apparently like it. Looks like you'll have to wait until Wednesday for some more to come in with their opinions.

redalpha3

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2006
I've jumped the gun and gone for an Ezee Sprint 7. Even went as far as purchasing an extended warranty!! Hoping to have the bike by the beginning of the week. I've looked at some of the modifications (on Flecc's website) for the Torq, Obviously some of these would apply to the Sprint too. Has anyone heard of particular problems with the Sprint that could be avoided with a bit of planning? I've heard that there can be some corrosion at the bottom bracket electrical terminals after a good soaking. From other posts it seems not all of the switch are rainproof either.

Sorry for so many questions but I'm told that "shy bairns get nowt!";)

Pete

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm sure you won't regret that purchase Pete, and you'll get better range on the Sprint too, once the battery's run in. Yes, some of the mods on my site are suitable for all models. The twistgrip one might be useful, but use the bike for a while first as it's not as necessary on the Sprint as on the overgeared Torq.

The best single insurance against damp that you can make is to get some self amalgamating tape as I've recommended on the site and renew all the cable joins at present covered with heatshrink sleeves and tiewraps. That's the throttle one, the one leading from the wheel motor, and those under the bottom bracket/battery area. Then also buy some clear or black silicone rubber sealant from your DIY store and use that on the grommet entries on the meter, the keyswitch, and the controller, to seal them completely. If your bike has the throttle lightswitch, waterproof that as mentioned on my site.

I have to admit I haven't completely finished my waterproofing yet on both my bikes and got caught out on the Quando at the weekend. Serves me right, I should have listened to myself!

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Hi Pete

I can tell you from very recent experience, there are still a number of Twists available in the UK, but it does take some MAJOR web searching. You have to search for a good while on every concievable combination of words that you can think of that could be associated with 'Giant' and 'Twist' and 'Comfort' and 'Lite' and anything else you can think of. But if you do, you will find someone somewhere sellling a brand new one (just like I did, and I found several companies doing so).

I personally am about to go for my 3rd ride tomorrow on my brand new Twist, but as someone new to elec-bikes, its a whole new world to me..

John

redalpha3

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2006
How you finding the Bike?
Hope it is serving you well

Thanks

Scott
It is early days, Scott, but I'm seriously impressed! Unlike many members of the forum I don't need a bike to commute and so it is used as a leisure vehicle to ferry my dog and myself to and from our daily walks along railway paths and such like. However, somewhat surprisingly, it is starting to replace the car for short journeys and necessary visits. The electrics haven't missed a beat and I've found it easy to climb the hills around here and some of them are substantial beasts!:( I think, for me, that the secret is that the bike has good geometry for my poor back. It is a "good bike with electrics" rather than an electric bike. The dog travels with me in a wicker basket on the rear pannier and loves it!! My only grumble, and this is tongue in cheek, is that I now have a slightly sore wrist from twisting the throttle. An irritating reminder of the fact that anything new, at my age, causes some discomfort!