Delfast "ebike"?

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
This one really isn't an ebike, and according to their website, in order to use it legally you'd have to register it as a motorbike.

Not sure what "cc" It's equivalent to?
I don't even have my CBT, so it's pure just general interest

Has anyone got one? For me, the way I see it, is I could pedal from Leeds into Manchester, or Sheffield within an hour or so (in theory), and back. That would give you at least some exercise for the day too.

Whilst motorbikes are faster, and cheaper, it has a decent exercising angle going for it I guess

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i would say that there will be a very high chance of getting pulled over on that given its looks and top speed and i doubt you would get it back either.

others on here have had ebike looking mopeds and have been pulled over.

this is not as fast but looks more like a normal bike and you can change the speed settings.

Reactions: anonymous

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
i would say that there will be a very high chance of getting pulled over on that given its looks and top speed and i doubt you would get it back either.

this is not as fast but looks more like a normal bike and you can change the speed settings.

Would they still be pulled over if they're legally registered as a motorbike instead?

Thanks for that btw

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i dont think you can register it but if you can it is not going to be cheap plus you will need all the same stuff as a road legal moped lights plates ect.

and the insurance will be sky high as well imo.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This one really isn't an ebike, and according to their website, in order to use it legally you'd have to register it as a motorbike.
The Delfast e-bike falls under the L1e-B moped category so would have to be registered and insured as one. Snag is that as it's supplied it doesn't look like it conforms to all the regulations. As Soundwave says, potentially too many problems for it to be good buy.

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
The Delfast e-bike falls under the L1e-B moped category so would have to be registered and insured as one. Snag is that as it's supplied it doesn't look like it conforms to all the regulations. As Soundwave says, potentially too many problems for it to be good buy.
They've said this to me

"
You can not currently register out bikes as a moto.
Yes, our bikes have lights, stoplight, turn signals.
You can use it legally on speed 25kmh or 25+ offroad.
Every bike has an electric pedal assist.
Thanks
"

I wonder if it is possible to get a bike that can do the same speed, or higher whilst pedalling, legally with more than 100 miles of range ? Even if it's not electric?

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019

Appears to only have a range of 31 miles unfortunately

Reactions: dr bob

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you wont get much more range with the bike you posted as it is like 50kg and going flat out i doubt you would get 20 miles out of it.

you add more power and then add more waight for a bigger batt you cant have big range and fast top speed.

that will do 200mph+ the batt will be flat in 20 miles going that fast.

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
you wont get much more range with the bike you posted as it is like 50kg and going flat out i doubt you would get 20 miles out of it.

you add more power and then add more waight for a bigger batt you cant have big range and fast top speed.

that will do 200mph+ the batt will be flat in 20 miles going that fast.

Ah can't pedal on that one unfortunately. If I'd buy a motorbike, I'd probably just buy a Honda 125 or whatever it's called.

I just thought from an efficient exercising POV, the Delfast seemed like it'd be great for that but given that there's no way of having that legally, on the roads it's a bit of an issue

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the lighting is road legal it just cost 50k so the honda 125 would be the best option price wise.

i have a haibike with a dongle to remove the speed limit and can hit over 30mph but it half's the range to about 25-30 miles where if i removed it id get 50-60 miles from a 500w bosch batt limited to 15mph

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
the lighting is road legal it just cost 50k so the honda 125 would be the best option price wise.

i have a haibike with a dongle to remove the speed limit and can hit over 30mph but it half's the range to about 25-30 miles where if i removed it id get 50-60 miles from a 500w bosch batt limited to 15mph
Sure. My other issue is that it doesn't have pedals. It's quite a bit easier to justify 5K over 50K on the money front! Especially as you can justify that in pure train journey costs

I thought if I could pedal for 1 hour or so every day, and have it assist me to 50Mph, that'd be decent given you could travel across cities that way, a s and get exercise whilst commuting but unfortunately not.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

thats one heavy mofo lol

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You can not currently register our bikes as a moto.
Yes, our bikes have lights, stoplight, turn signals.
You can use it legally on speed 25kmh or 25+ offroad.
Every bike has an electric pedal assist.
It depends whether the lights etc conform to the regulations. For example the rear and stop light combined are under the saddle and may not include a number plate light. Even if it does the plate will be below and masked by the raised rear mudguard so not legally clearly visible from the rear.

The third sentence is wrong, if it's capable of more then 25 kph assist under the rider's control, it cannot be ridden as a legal pedelec, even if keeping below that speed.

The fourth sentence may be wrong too if it has a throttle that can be used to drive without pedalling. Pedelec law demands power only when pedalling.

I wonder if it is possible to get a bike that can do the same speed, or higher whilst pedalling, legally with more than 100 miles of range ? Even if it's not electric?
Easiest to get that range with a petrol add-on motor, but they are classed as petrol mopeds and will be very difficult to get registered and insured. Those available are notoriously unreliable too.

Electric is best but as said above, if you want high performance and very long range the weight gets very high and the bike unpleasant to ride.

Bear in mind the practicality. Even if you have 28 mph giving a journey average of 25 mph, do you really want 4 hours continuous on a bike saddle to cover 100 miles? I've used a fast e-bike with an extra battery to cover up to 60 miles at times, but I wouldn't want to ride much further continuously.

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
It depends whether the lights etc conform to the regulations. For example the rear and stop light combined are under the saddle and may not include a number plate light. Even if it does the plate will be below and masked by the raised rear mudguard so not legally clearly visible from the rear.

The third sentence is wrong, if it's capable of more then 25 kph assist under the rider's control, it cannot be ridden as a legal pedelec, even if keeping below that speed.

The fourth sentence may be wrong too if it has a throttle that can be used to drive without pedalling. Pedelec law demands power only when pedalling.

Easiest to get that range with a petrol add-on motor, but they are classed as petrol mopeds and will be very difficult to get registered and insured. Those available are notoriously unreliable too.

Electric is best but as said above, if you want high performance and very long range the weight gets very high and the bike unpleasant to ride.

Bear in mind the practicality. Even if you have 28 mph giving a journey average of 25 mph, do you really want 4 hours continuous on a bike saddle to cover 100 miles? I've used a fast e-bike with an extra battery to cover up to 60 miles at times, but I wouldn't want to ride much further continuously.
Sure. I just thought it might legally be possible to pedal for 1 hour, and get what I want in terms of what's essentially efficient exercise.

I would definitely not commute for four hours, regardless of transport tbh!

Reactions: dr bob and flecc

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
In case you didn't figure it out, that Delfast bike can't do 50 mph and 174 miles. You can have one or the other, not both at once. To get 174 miles, it's only 20 wh per mile from the 3500wh battery, which you'd get at around 15mph.

3KW is about as much as you get from a good 50cc moped. I think the 50 mph is a bit optimistic. 45 mph would be more like it, so range at full speed would be about 45 miles -still not bad compared with alternatives, but it's not legal in the UK anyway.