Derestricting a Woosh Karoo

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
I'm thinking of getting a Woosh Karoo. It looks ideal for my commute. I currently have a Woosh Sirocco CDL that I easily derestricted using the King Meter display. On Friday, on my undulating 8.1-mile commute, I averaged 16.7mph. Not bad for such a heavy lump (the bike, not me. Although...)

I'd like to know if I could do the same with the Karoo. However, it has a different display and I'm not familiar with these things. Does anyone know if the same, easy tweak can be done with the Karoo's unit? That would make a very decent, high speed commuter.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you only have to google up the LCD manual to find out how to go into the settings. If I remember correctly, you hold both + and - buttons down at the same time for 3 seconds, very similar to the King Meter on your Sirocco CDL.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Whilst I'm grateful for the reply, I am, of course, able to search for an answer, but for that I needed to be able to pose a question. I stated that I was unfamiliar with these things and I did not know the type of display, so was unable to find out for myself, hence the question here.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I can't remember the make of the Karoo's LCD. I rode the test Karoo more than a year ago.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I just took the new Karoo for a spin.
It rides even better than the test bike I rode last winter.
I pumped the 700C x 28 tyres to 65psi. Without power, It rides just like a quiet normal bike. Bottom bracket backspins perfectly with hardly any friction.
The motor is very quiet. At traffic lights, if you hold the LCD's minus button for about 4 seconds, you activate the 6km starting aid, the bike will move forward. Power delivery is very progressive, power cut off is tapered that reminds me of the woosh Sport TS. The Avid disc brakes are certainly an improvement over the Tektro brakes that are used on the other woosh bikes.

PS: The Karoo's LCD has 6 assist levels. Level 0 is throttle only.
The 6kph starting aid takes 4 to 5 seconds to activate, pretty useless unless you want to use it to walk the bike up stairs. Then again, the bike is so lightweight, I can't see any reason that someone would need it.

Last edited:

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Waiting to see some proper photos of this bike, rather than the stock pictures that are on the Woosh site.
So can it definitely be derestricted then, like the OP asked ?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I don't know for sure. I am asking them for the LCD manual. The power tapered so smoothly that I hit 45kph without feeling a notch. There was no headwind on the test ride and it's easy to ride fast on the Karoo 700C semi-slick tyres. I can hit that speed on my Trek any way except don't have to pant with the Karoo. The 245 Ounce on the Karoo feels rock solid, you don't waste your energy with a wide GXP BB.
They may post new pictures later today. It's been raining in Southend for the last couple of days.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yamdude

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
It looks a nice bike, from the limited pictures, and something i could be interested in. I like the weight and the clean uncluttered look.
How is this rear hub motor for torque compared to a CD ?..... Also what size is the chain ring ? It doesn't say on Woosh's site, but it looks like a 48T.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
How is this rear hub motor for torque compared to a CD ?..... Also what size is the chain ring ? It doesn't say on Woosh's site, but it looks like a 48T.
I could not go for a long ride because the test Karoo does not have mudguards and the roads were still wet. They'll fit the mudguards later, I'll be back for another go this Saturday. First impression: the torque is about 65%-70% of the Krieger's. That does not bother me much. Didn't pay much attention to the chainring but it feels like a 48T to me too.
EDIT: not 42T, 45T chainring. It did feel ever so relaxed pedalling this morning though. Just to show how much tyres change how you feel.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yamdude

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
I see they now have proper photos up of the Karoo, although i'd like to see photo's of the bike in full as well as just parts of it.
It looks quite nice though, the only things i'm not keen on are the grips, that look like they belong on a Harley Davidson or some other chromed cruiser..... and the chain ring is too small for me, i'd want at least a 48T or preferably a 50T for a road bike.
Its the only thing i've seen so far that's close to what i want and not too expensive...... apart from going down the build route myself, which i may yet decide on.

Reactions: trex

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I have just been told that the crankset is Prowheel Ounce 245A, 45T chainring.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
that manual is wrong. On the bike I rode, the LCD lets me go up 30, 31, 32, 34, 35, 40km/h max.

Advertisers