Help! Derestricting Oxygen S-Cross MTB Mk2?

Horrible Bloke

Just Joined
Jul 25, 2020
Hello all, I've just got a new Oxygen S-Cross MTB Mk2 for my commute and (hopefully) some off road cycling too.
I'll be completely honest, I joined this forum to see if I could find out how to derestrict my bike for the off road bit.
I know there's a video on YouTube explaining how to do this with the old display, but this bike has a new, smaller one.
Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Looks as if it isn't possible (or at least no known way yet) with the latest Oxygens

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Looks as if it isn't possible (or at least no known way yet) with the latest Oxygens
I wouldn't take too much notice of that yet. It doesn't make sense. They updated the model last autumn, which could be derestricted. I haven't seen anything new yet, and I can't see why they would change anything during a product run.

• Informative
Reactions: sjpt

Hovlev2

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2020
I wouldn't take too much notice of that yet. It doesn't make sense. They updated the model last autumn, which could be derestricted. I haven't seen anything new yet, and I can't see why they would change anything during a product run.
Let's hope they haven't!

Angry_Freak

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 8, 2020
Hello all, I've just got a new Oxygen S-Cross MTB Mk2 for my commute and (hopefully) some off road cycling too.
I'll be completely honest, I joined this forum to see if I could find out how to derestrict my bike for the off road bit.
I know there's a video on YouTube explaining how to do this with the old display, but this bike has a new, smaller one.
Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers.
Dearest Horrible Bloke,

I am an angry freak. We seem to have similar psychological dispositions, as well as similar questions.

Did you manage to derestrict it in the end? Any advice given that a few weeks have passed?

I have the same bike

Warm regards and lots of love, Angry Freak

Hovlev2

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2020
Dearest Angry Freak & Horrible Bloke- After many enquiries, and help from members of this forum, it seems like Oxygen have decreed that you can only use their bikes as the Law intended, and the existing bits can't be modified. I have (after much research!) decided to change the controller and display, so that I can add a throttle, and hopefully derestrict it. I know that this could well cock up any future warranty issues, but I'm not going to worry about that. I've ordered the requisite bits, and will let you know once I've got them, and swapped them over. Total cost was about £100, but bearing in mind I got a 10% discount on the bike, I'm still better off than paying full retail, and I ordered an expensive colour display, which probably bumped to price up by another £30. If anyone wants to know what parts I ordered, and where from, just let me know.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
With KT one is best staying with LCD3 as they offer a few more setting values ove rthe colour screens, one or two now have had issues with the settings using those lcd's.

Hovlev2

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2020
With KT one is best staying with LCD3 as they offer a few more setting values ove rthe colour screens, one or two now have had issues with the settings using those lcd's.
That's a pain. .. I've already ordered it! Any idea what issues there are?

Angry_Freak

Aug 8, 2020
Dearest Angry Freak & Horrible Bloke- After many enquiries, and help from members of this forum, it seems like Oxygen have decreed that you can only use their bikes as the Law intended, and the existing bits can't be modified. I have (after much research!) decided to change the controller and display, so that I can add a throttle, and hopefully derestrict it. I know that this could well cock up any future warranty issues, but I'm not going to worry about that. I've ordered the requisite bits, and will let you know once I've got them, and swapped them over. Total cost was about £100, but bearing in mind I got a 10% discount on the bike, I'm still better off than paying full retail, and I ordered an expensive colour display, which probably bumped to price up by another £30. If anyone wants to know what parts I ordered, and where from, just let me know.
Dearest Hovlev2,

Thank you for writing. I am curious, do you actually have the bike and have tried the old tricks to derestrict? Or are you speaking prior to delivery of the bike?

What you described may be more complicated than my small brain will allow me to proceed with

I'm assuming there's also the old stick a magnet on the pedals technique getaround too

Warmest regards,

Angry Freak

Hovlev2

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2020
Angry Freak-

Yes, I do have the bike, but was aware before it arrived that Oxygen had changed things a bit! I'm not sure about the magnet on the pedals trick, but they've changed the controller, and the new one has no wires for a throttle, nor can it be derestricted. The fact that it's basically a 500 watt motor running at 250 watts is, to me, like putting a wooden block under my car's accelerator pedal (mind you, that might have been a good idea, as I wouldn't have been nailed for 115mph on the M4, but that's another story!)
Anyway, it transpires that the only way to have a throttle, and a bit more grunt, is to change the controller for one which allows you to.
As you probably know, I haven't actually done it yet, but once I get the bits, I'll hopefully get it sorted out.
If you don't fancy doing it yourself, there's someone on here who can probably do it for you, I've got his details if I get into trouble, and he doesn't live that far from me (I'm in Wiltshire, and so's he)

Yours etc

Hovlev2

Hovlev2

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2020
Also just remembered, you can't change the wheel size on the new display either, so you can't fool it into thinking it's got smaller wheels, and you're going slower than you actually are!

Angry_Freak

Aug 8, 2020
Angry Freak-

Yes, I do have the bike, but was aware before it arrived that Oxygen had changed things a bit! I'm not sure about the magnet on the pedals trick, but they've changed the controller, and the new one has no wires for a throttle, nor can it be derestricted. The fact that it's basically a 500 watt motor running at 250 watts is, to me, like putting a wooden block under my car's accelerator pedal (mind you, that might have been a good idea, as I wouldn't have been nailed for 115mph on the M4, but that's another story!)
Anyway, it transpires that the only way to have a throttle, and a bit more grunt, is to change the controller for one which allows you to.
As you probably know, I haven't actually done it yet, but once I get the bits, I'll hopefully get it sorted out.
If you don't fancy doing it yourself, there's someone on here who can probably do it for you, I've got his details if I get into trouble, and he doesn't live that far from me (I'm in Wiltshire, and so's he)

Yours etc

Hovlev2
Dear Hovlev2,

When I read what you wrote here, lots of small tears dribbled down my cheeks. I became very sad, entering a state of grieving. For my dreams of easy de-restriction were annihilated. I am also sad you cannot make the wheels miniature. I am not angry towards you of course, you are only the messenger of bad news. And even so, I am already an angry freak, so it's my nature to be angry at everything in my life and always will be, that isn't your fault.

Back on topic, your person in Wiltshire sounds like it might be an interesting option. Thanks for letting me know about that. Yes, I believe your analogy about the wooden block under the accelerator is correct. Oxygen have made a grave mistake here, with their changes. They have inadvertently created a large collection of enemies, in me, you and all those forced to buy new gadgets and drive to the wiltshire man. One can only have faith in the buddhist principle of karmic justice, that all wrongdoings will return back to the person or corporate entity, and slap it round the face.

Even so, I will enjoy my bike, and hope you are enjoying yours. The magnet trick might be something I try first. I can report my findings, if you wish to hear them.

I would also be very curious to hear an update on your controller addition. I want to know what speed you can get out of the unstifled beast, perhaps it would whet my appetite.

Warmest regards and safe pedalling, Angry Freak

Hovlev2

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2020
We shall overcome! Don't let the bastards grind us down.
I just find it frustrating that as you get going, the poxy motor cuts out, because you're going too fast, and will undoubtedly die a horrible death should you exceed 15.5mph! I'll be the judge of how fast I want to go thank you very much, and trying to make any modifications difficult is like a red rag to a bull with me!
I'll be interested to see how you magnet trick goes, and likewise I'll keep you posted on my future modifications!

Angry_Freak

Aug 8, 2020
We shall overcome! Don't let the bastards grind us down.
I just find it frustrating that as you get going, the poxy motor cuts out, because you're going too fast, and will undoubtedly die a horrible death should you exceed 15.5mph! I'll be the judge of how fast I want to go thank you very much, and trying to make any modifications difficult is like a red rag to a bull with me!
I'll be interested to see how you magnet trick goes, and likewise I'll keep you posted on my future modifications!
Dearest Hovlev2

Agreed, I hope my last post did not communicate resignation, I will remain in this fight with you. Yes, the motor cut-out is unjust and perhaps even despicable

How is the bike otherwise? Enjoying it? What you expected? Zoomed up any 20 degree gradient hills?

This will be my first ebike, it will hopefully arrive sometime soon

Warm regards, Angry Freak

Hovlev2

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2020
Angry Freak
I thought you'd already got yours, so where's it coming from?
I have to say that it's very nice- well put together, looks really nice, and is easy to ride. I've taken it up hills that'd make your teeth itch with no problem, and very little effort on my part (as long as it's less than 15.5 mph of course)
I stumbled across mine on Ebay, but went to their online shop, and a code flashed up on the site, giving 10% off everything, couldn't believe my luck when they actually had them in stock! You won't be disappointed, I think they're a quality product (pity about the throttle + lack of derestriction...), but once I get over that, it'll be ideal.
Keep me posted with your observations/ comments/ recommendations
Yours etc, Hovlev2

Hovlev2

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2020
You'll be OK. you only have to worry about that if something doesn't work.
Hi again, I need to pick your brain....! I've (temporarily) connected everything up (bar the PAS, as I'm waiting for it to arrive), but.... the motor sounds 'graunchy', and despite the speed limit setting being 40kph, the motor cuts out at a low speed (ie 5 or 10 mph at a guess) I'm hoping you may have some ideas!
The new bits fitted are:
1 x​
T-06S 24V/36V250W Torque Simulation Sine Wave Brushless Controller for Ebike (T-06S controller)
Display KT LCD8S
Brake Without Brake
Throttle Wuxing 108X Thumb Throttle
PAS BZ-10C
Speed sensor Without Speed Sensor
Thanks, Mick

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Graunching indicates phase sync is out, one can try adjusting C2 value (if the lcd8 allows you to ) to see if any other setting proves better also double check motor connector IS fully pushed home.

Low speed is P1 setting incorrect, P1 needs to be about 84 for hub with approx. 4:4:1 or 5:1 gear ratio.
List your P & C settings.

You can still test PAS by plugging the sensor in a and passing the disc/magnets by the sensor.

Hovlev2

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2020
Graunching indicates phase sync is out, one can try adjusting C2 value (if the lcd8 allows you to ) to see if any other setting proves better also double check motor connector IS fully pushed home.

Low speed is P1 setting incorrect, P1 needs to be about 84 for hub with approx. 4:4:1 or 5:1 gear ratio.
List your P & C settings.

You can still test PAS by plugging the sensor in a and passing the disc/magnets by the sensor.
[/QUOT

I changed the value for the hub to 84, but doesn't seem to be any different? I'm also a bit concerned that maybe I've soldered/ joined a wire incorrectly, but pretty sure it was all wired correctly...