Help! Did i break it?

zodicz

Just Joined
Sep 27, 2020
Hello there, complete newcommer here so bear with me and my little adventure.

So i decided to convert my good old hybrid bike, my trustworthy Scott Sportster iv tortured through harsh winters and nice summers for 10 years. Accidently stumbled upon these conversion kits while i was thinking of buying a electric bike, and since converting an old bike was WAY cheaper, i thought lets give it a try... hence this thread.

The installation went ok i guess given im not the handiest person out there (god bless youtube installations) i plugged all the wires together and tried turning the display on. And it worked! instant happiness and given that i got the thumb throttle with the package i decided to try and see if everything works. So i put on some gas on and everything works. The rear wheel spinns as i thought it would.

Now for some reason i wanted to see how the gear shifting worked with the derailure. Shifted from second gear to third, and it worked, from third to 4th looked ok until the display turned black... And now i cannot get the display or anything to start. It is like everything just died. I managed to find a fuse in the battery placement and replaced it with the extra that came with it. But nothing happend. The display wont start no matter what, iv plugged out the cables and replugged them, turned battery off and on but nothing seems to happen, so out of options to try and hours of googling led me here.

Is there a safety fuse in the engine aswell or have i completely screwed up and broken something, or is it possible it was something wrong with it straight out of the box? It doesnt feel like i broken it since i cannot imagen just some shifting with the derailure would destroy a motor and a battery especially since the bike was suspended in the air so no additional load on the motor other than the wheel.
Also that the display dosnt start no matter what but it worked previously, its like there isnt any power to it. But i have used a multimeter on battery and it shows 39v output so there should be electricity going through to the motor and all...but what do i know. I am no electrician or mechanic.

The kit iv ordered and battery.

Also a total dumb question out of the blue about the battery cause i cant figure out if its broken or not.. are the 4 dots supposed to be lighted green or something ? Cause the battery is turned on, on the pictures, and it dosnt indicate anything how charged it is. and if i press the power on button in the middle it lights up red. Battery should be fully charged since thats what the display showed when i got it to work on first startup.

Any help would be a godsend.
/Z

Attachments

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The LCD works independently and takes its power directly from the battery, so if it doesn't switch on, it's getting no voltage from the battery either because there's a connection issue or the battery is not giving anything out.

To go forward you need a voltmeter. The voltage on the battery's output terminals will give a good clue to what's going on, and the voltage on the charge port also gives further clues. You have to be very careful when putting your probes in those 5.5mm jack sockets not to let them touch each other or short the blade at the side to the central pin.

Reactions: Scorpio