Dilemma!!

Another newbie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 23, 2018
Hi all, thanks for the approval Russ/Helen. Totally new to electric bikes, at the moment we have 2 Raleigh Evo 7 fold up bikes that we carry on a Fiat Ducatto camper van on a fiamma bike rack that is rated for 35kgs have been looking at 2 roodog bikes a cube and a Mayfair that between them without batteries come in at 39kgs, is their any way to fit them or do I widen my search.
Thanks for any advice

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
And when you phoned Emma, what did she say?
Seriously, those 4 bikes = less than 40kgs is remarkable. Or am I not understanding your dial emma?
Are you asking for recommendations for even lighter bikes or more rugged rack?

Last edited:

Another newbie

Sep 23, 2018
Hi Fat Rat, thanks. Juicy Bike, Emma!! Think maybe your not understanding my dilemma the weight quoted was for 2bikes from roodog, and yes if it's possible for even lighter bikes or more rugged rack, can't/haven't got tow ball so that's out.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Hi Fat Rat, thanks. Juicy Bike, Emma!! Think maybe your not understanding my dilemma the weight quoted was for 2bikes from roodog, and yes if it's possible for even lighter bikes or more rugged rack, can't/haven't got tow ball so that's out.
Well, I guess it was a terrible joke...

To reduce weight gets expensive, but lighter bikes are available. To shave 5kgs probably also means reducing range by 15 miles on top of costing £500+ more, per bike.
Instead, the combined cost of a tow bar and rack is likely £800+
What's your budget for two bikes?
We've bikes at 15 and 19 kgs, including batteries. But I wouldn't be able to recommend any without knowing much more about you and how you planned to use your bikes.

Another newbie

Sep 23, 2018
Hi Juicy Bike, thanks for the advice regarding weight and power as it's our first time in to ebikes looking at the up to £1000 market either new or used, as we are both retired and having the camper van we tend to spend a lot of time abroad. As regards tow ball racks wouldn't want to block rear doors as they are an emergency exit

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
That's a tough price point for lightweight bikes.
You might consider a kit added to a traditional bike, or, as you say, look for 2nd hand. Halfords do good offers from time to time on their Crossfire and Crossfuse electrics and membership of Cycle Association can get further discount, but personally, I can't advise on their suitability for you. There's also the GTech, designed for flat routes of shorter ranges, IMO.
Or, look for a stronger rack for the van, which is probably the easiest solution to keep the price down.

Another newbie

Sep 23, 2018
Hi Juicy, thanks once again for the advice, much appreciated, have been in touch with Scott at roodog regarding the weight of the Chic and he's going to let me know the weight minus the front wheel and saddle which he informs me are both on quick release, I've been looking at the chic or the whisper step through as possibilities to use on the bike rack in the short term, my mate has the gtech but I'm not sure about the battery seem a bit small to me