Disabled off-road cycling enthusiast

Abi-Abster

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 27, 2018
Brighton area
99832CA0-E311-484B-B4D6-F184021FBB5E.jpeg Hello!
I’m Abi, living in the environs of Brighton with my husband and kids.
I love, love, LOVE cycling, but haven’t been able to do it for years due to ME, Fibromyalgia and chronic pain (which gets worse with exercise).
I used to be a gym bunny and regular swimmer too, but have been constrained by these conditions for over half my life now (I’m 42 on Friday 29th June - nearly there!).
Last week I finally bit the bullet and bought a 4mph mobility scooter for £150 from an 87 year-old who wasn’t using it (ideally I would have bought an 8mph mobility scooter, but the price was the decider).
This week - for my birthday - I intend to splurge on an e-bike (needs to be available on Finance!) which will enable me to cycle with my husband and the kids (aged 9 and 11).
We live near the Sussex Downs and go up to Scotland a lot, so I need a hybrid or off-roader bike with welly (I can’t pedal so need a throttle: I’m aware of the law, but am also aware that after 20+ years of illness I need my life back). I used to have a series of derestricted mopeds so am looking for similar sneakiness from an e-bike - and more!
Nice to meet you all :)
Abi.

Reactions: LeighPing

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Nice to meet you too
If you have no luck in the intro section post a question up in the speed pedelec section theres lots of not so legal bikes in there and people with info regarding them
:)

Abi-Abster

Jun 27, 2018
Brighton area
Fab - that’s the kind of newbie info I need: I like a bit of speedy cheek!
Thanks for the heads-up Rat Appreciated x
Abi x

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Hello Abi, from just along the coast :)

My Wife's got a Wisper 705SE with a full throttle. She doesn't have to pedal if she doesn't want to :rolleyes:

Wisper had a few 905Se's left with throttles, but they're crossbar style frames, so might not suit you?

I've a feeling the BNIB Oxygen in the classifieds might work with a throttle:
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/oxygen-cross-st-black-bnib-£1000.31757/
although I stand to be corrected on that one.

Gaz

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi Abi,

I may have a solution for you. Would you mind let us know your weight and height? also, how much range (miles) would you need?

Reactions: Gaz

Abi-Abster

Jun 27, 2018
Brighton area
Hi Abi,

I may have a solution for you. Would you mind let us know your weight and height? also, how much range (miles) would you need?
Hi,
Thanks for your message. I had a look at your shop earlier today when I was perusing the forum.
Me, I’m 5’8-9” and 10 1/2 stone-ish. I haven’t weighed or measured myself in years: probably shrunk and got heavier, haha. But I’m a fairly average weight for my height.
Range is not so important while the kids are young; it’s more power for up off-road hills and speed for getting from A - B.
A leisurely day trip would more than adequately cover it.
Thanks for your time :)

Abi-Abster

Jun 27, 2018
Brighton area
Hello Abi, from just along the coast :)

My Wife's got a Wisper 705SE with a full throttle. She doesn't have to pedal if she doesn't want to :rolleyes:

Wisper had a few 905Se's left with throttles, but they're crossbar style frames, so might not suit you?

I've a feeling the BNIB Oxygen in the classifieds might work with a throttle:
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/oxygen-cross-st-black-bnib-£1000.31757/
although I stand to be corrected on that one.

Gaz
Gaz Love, thanks for this.
I *may* have been stalking your previous posts about the bike your missus has
What’s the difference between the 705 and 905SEs pleasey?
Thanks for pointing out the Oxygen too. It’s another bike I’ve been looking at, though I’m also not sure of its non-pedalability...
Abi x

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi,
Thanks for your message. I had a look at your shop earlier today when I was perusing the forum.
Me, I’m 5’8-9” and 10 1/2 stone-ish. I haven’t weighed or measured myself in years: probably shrunk and got heavier, haha. But I’m a fairly average weight for my height.
Range is not so important while the kids are young; it’s more power for up off-road hills and speed for getting from A - B.
A leisurely day trip would more than adequately cover it.
Thanks for your time :)
did you see anything that you may like?

Abi-Abster

Jun 27, 2018
Brighton area
did you see anything that you may like?
Morning Woosh, thanks for your message late last night: I’m impressed by your dedication!
So, unfortunately I don’t really know what I’m looking at - which is why I asked the question in the first place!
With regards your website, I got as far as discounting the Big Bear (great on hills but weighty n unwieldy to put in a car, plus in any case I’m not that tall or heavy) and considering the Krieger (it being fast).
I’m sure you have a better idea of which of your Woosh bikes would be best for my needs - what are your thoughts?

Abi-Abster

Jun 27, 2018
Brighton area
Checkout this site, not bike but lot more versatile. Hate think how much they cost.
https://ogotechnology.com/
Wow - what incredible design! Absolutely stunning: thanks for that link. Glorious.
However, I have a mobility scooter already, plus I am able to use my legs in some capacity (most of the time!), so I think that the Ogo is somewhat overkill.
Bloody gorgeous piece of kit though!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
all e-bikes are twice as heavy as normal bikes, I assume that you get a helping hand to take the bike on and off the car.
Which car do you have? do you have a bike carrier?

Abi-Abster

Jun 27, 2018
Brighton area
all e-bikes are twice as heavy as normal bikes, I assume that you get a helping hand to take the bike on and off the car.
Which car do you have? do you have a bike carrier?
Thanks, I know e-bikes are heavier, but some are more tricky to transport than others!
We currently don’t have any bike carrier as we can’t go cycling together. Which I’m hoping to rectify! We’re about to swap cars on the Motability scheme, so are going to have to think about how to transport the 4 bikes we’ll have (mine being the only e-bike). It’ll have to be a cheap carrier, whichever the option!

Abi-Abster

Jun 27, 2018
Brighton area
Hi the 905 has a cross bar the 705 is a step though frame. All other components are the same. All the best, David
Thanks David.
Which Wisper bike would you suggest is best suited for my needs, please (5’9”, less than 70kg; no peddling; dirt road hills; off-road/ hybrid; speed, available on Finance)?
Cheers,
Abi.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
If you are going to get a bike carrier, then you have more options.
If not, then your bike needs to be small, folding and lightweight. There are always trade-offs. Bikes with torque sensor usually can't have throttle by its nature, the motor assists more if you pedal harder and faster. That reduces your choice to Chinese made bikes fitted with cadence sensors unless you choose to convert a nice bike - an option you may want to consider because it is usually cheaper to convert a bike than buying one factory made in the shop.
As you are not looking for very long rides, I would suggest a range of 30-40 miles should be the ballpark figure.
Your weight is not a problem for e-bikes. However, if you want to ride off road a fair bit, you will need to up the power a notch or two. Then there is the choice of frame type. Would you like step through or diamond frame or folding frame?
A bike like the Woosh Zephyr 2018 would fill all those criteria: full suspension comfort, high torque power, relatively lightweight, folding and hydraulic brakes.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?zephyr-2018
If you like a step through, the Woosh Santana CD is very competent, 9-speed crank drive with automatic gear sensor, comfortable riding position and hydraulic brakes.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?santana-2018

Abi-Abster

Jun 27, 2018
Brighton area
If you want to ride off road a fair bit, you will need to up the power a notch or two.
A bike like the Woosh Zephyr 2018 would fill all those criteria: full suspension comfort, high torque power, relatively lightweight, folding and hydraulic brakes.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?zephyr-2018
If you like a step through, the Woosh Santana CD is very competent, 9-speed crank drive with automatic gear sensor, comfortable riding position and hydraulic brakes.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?santana-2018
Thanks for taking the time to explain everything: it’s really helpful for a newbie like me to have it all spelled out!
The Santana looks far more comfortable (better for my pain), but the Zephyr looks like it would handle hilly dirt tracks better.
Do they both have the right power for off-road hillst you mentioned I needed?
Or is one better than the other for no-pedal hills and rough terrain?
I acknowledge you’re unable to discuss adding ‘go faster’ stripes, but would one model lend itself better than the other to this particular modification?
And would I have to change the wattage or the battery size to enable this (especially as I won’t be pedalling at all)?
Thanks very much for your patience in answering all my questions :)
Abi.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Do they both have the right power for off-road hillst you mentioned I needed?
yes, both bikes can easily take you up 12% gradient on throttle.

Or is one better than the other for no-pedal hills and rough terrain?
the Santana 2018 is a little better on rough terrain, being a crank drive, can 'winch' you up steeper hills.

I acknowledge you’re unable to discuss adding ‘go faster’ stripes, but would one model lend itself better than the other to this particular modification?
they are about the same, for being a crank drive you can change gear, the Santana is faster if derestricted. The Zephyr is much better tolerant against abuses, crank drive bikes can overheat and break if riding in the wrong gear.

And would I have to change the wattage or the battery size to enable this (especially as I won’t be pedalling at all)?
No, battery capacity affects only range.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Thanks, I know e-bikes are heavier, but some are more tricky to transport than others!
We currently don’t have any bike carrier as we can’t go cycling together. Which I’m hoping to rectify! We’re about to swap cars on the Motability scheme, so are going to have to think about how to transport the 4 bikes we’ll have (mine being the only e-bike). It’ll have to be a cheap carrier, whichever the option!
Get a towbar mounting low loading bike carrier. Your significant other and their back will thank you.Halfords have a few versions . Remove the battery pack and save 10% of the weight when on the rack ,and carry it inside the car. Ditto for the display.. if it is easily demountable. For long trips a little bit of duct tape over the exposed contacts is wise. In my experience, the compromises necessary to make an ebike folder are such as to negate the pleasure of the experience.. they are heavy, and when folded swing unpredictably so a full size bike is better,,, happy cycling.