Discontinued hub? - SRAM DD3

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
So seems my Haibike Trekking Xduro 2014 needs new rear hub BUT SRAM discontinued it. The ones I see for sale are either used (condition unknown) or from Aliexpress - any of the few on the market in the UK are on ebay and possibly also from
aliexpress?

so - does anybody know of genuine one for sale or even Plan B with some other mechanism that will do the job??

thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
New ones on ebay via Germany if you have 250 - 300 quid.

Do some research and you might find the Sturmey Archer 3 spd hub may work with the sram gear, have read it is possible. The Sturmey is a lot cheaper and spares plentiful so one might be able to replace all the components if needed cheaper then a new DD3 hub unit.
Check out SJS Cycles for instance.

Sram DD3 is supposed to have better shifting then the SA, the SA is said to be quieter in operation.

Alternatively Shimano nexus 3 spd hub worth retro fitting a different model that is in production.

Last edited:
Reactions: wissy

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Reactions: wissy

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Nealh - thanks so much. Very useful. I am just awaiting the bike shop to confirm this is the issue and will pass on the information to them. I will email sjs and ask if there is a difference between the 2014 one and the 2015 they advertise - so theirs must be refurbished one if it is an exchange?

V much appreciate your assistance. Will add more when I know more. Long wait until December for new Haibike but at least I still have the old KTM Macina although it is so much lezz zippy than the Haibike.

maybe a Rohloff would fit ;)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For the cost of Rolhoff as you know, one can buy a good new hub bike.

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
For the cost of Rolhoff as you know, one can buy a good new hub bike.
I dream on….

Got to balance whether to pay to fix this Haibike when I have new one arriving in a few months. If I don’t sort it the bike is of no use at all vs fix it and have a spare….

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Ha ha - and yes a good point… hmmm

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
But back to original question - any other opinions or suggestions on alternatives to sram ddr3? Or whether the 2015 version different to 2015? Are all sram ddr3 hubs the same?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
id say get rid of it as had its time and will just turn in to a money pit esp if the batt or motor has a problem.

tho both could be fixed and a good time to sell a ebike for a project for someone to get it going again if they dont have to pay for the labor.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
But back to original question - any other opinions or suggestions on alternatives to sram ddr3? Or whether the 2015 version different to 2015? Are all sram ddr3 hubs the same?
This is the Sturmey version.

Advertisers