Display Compatibility

J.Low75

Just Joined
Jun 1, 2016
Nuneaton
Hi all at Pedelecs Forum,

I am a 20 year time served Electronics/Electrical technician, so you can talk technical to me - however I am very new to eBikes & eBike kits!

I recently brought an eBike conversion kit - one of these Chinese 'off the shelf' kits for a unique/novelty bike project I'm currently doing, the kit consisted of a 36V brushless hub motor with Hall Sensors, 36v Black controller, LCD display & other associated parts, pas/brake sensors etc

Basically I didn't like the big bulky LCD display unit that was supplied with the kit so I checked the connection & ordered a smaller 880 display unit (See picture below) to replace it, unfortunately it does not work - it powers up, but thats about it. What I found is the connector, number of wires & wire colours are identical between the two display units, however the pin-outs are different. Basically I'm trying to find out if this 880 display is compatible with my controller? if so is it just a case of swapping wires around in the connector?, or have I brought a display unit which is simply not compatible with my kit?

If anyone needs further information - photos of supplied LCD unit or controller etc I can get this

Thanks in advance

Jamie

Hermann R.

Just Joined
Jun 20, 2016
Mexico City
Hello Jamie.

Those "880" meters from KT come in different versions (some with the blue button turning on the lights and some with the 6km/h push-aid function). They all rely on serial communication with the controller. The "890" meter gives additionally a speedometer readout. If the cable colors are identical, then I'd start with swapping the wires in the connector (of the LED Meter, so you can switch back to LCD anytime) so that they match the counterpart on the controller.
See Kunteng website: http://www.szktdz.com/en/index.php
The 880 and 890 meters do store the same parameter sets that you can define in the KT-LCD1 to LCD5 models, BUT they have to be copied from an LCD meter. It now depends on the model of LCD display that you have. BMS offers a copy cable, that (I think) basically swaps RX/TX and has a +V & GND line to connect a power supply. See https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-kit/549-s-led890-e-bike-led-meter-ebike-kit.html
Note: If your LCD is any other than KT-LCD(1 to 5) this might not work the same way. Anyway, it's a starting point.
In any case, when connected to the controller, the wire colours should match.
The download section of Kunteng should provide some technical information as well.
There are other LED meters (770, 810, etc.) that look similar, but are based on simple analog connections (note absence of the 6km/h button).
Hope this helps somehow.
Regards
-Hermann-

Advertisers