Display turns off or flickers

Torbe

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 14, 2018
Denmark
Hi

I have installed a TSDZ2 with the VLCD5 display on my girlfriends bike.
The bike has been riding ok for a while. But now I have some issues with the display.

When i turn it on it will of just light up, maybe be blurry/unclear on the digits and text it is displaying and then it will turn off.
Often if i continue to turn it on evertime it shuts off, for maybe 5 minutes, then it will start running steadily and the text on the display will be sharp and clear and the display will only show the text it is supposed to.

I tried looking for bad connections, but have not been able to identify any.
I was wondering if display could be defective or to cold or something. However it is not that cold here, around -2 to +5 *C

Any ideas?

My own idea was to order a new display, to see if that fixes it. My girlfriend is rattling the "i want a 2500 Euro Trek E-bike" saber, and for now, I would love to avoid that outcome ;)

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Does sound as though the cold might be affecting it.
Can you get the bike in somewhere warm and test it then?

Reactions: Torbe
D

Deleted member 4366

Two things I can think of: 1. A cable tie pulled too tight has damaged the cable. 2. The cable is or has been pulled too tight where it exits the display.

If you used it in the wet, then you could add water in it.

Torbe

Jan 14, 2018
Denmark
Thanks d8veh, allways on the spot to help me.

I will try all three of your suggestions

Torbe

Jan 14, 2018
Denmark
Hi again

Ok so i have not been able to identify any broken cables and it is not tight at the display end.

I have uploaded a video of the behaviour. PLease check it out

Torbe

Jan 14, 2018
Denmark
So I was going to try Mike's suggestion, but now the display was just constantly on, lighting up in all segments of the display.

So i decided to open up the display to look for signs of water or loose connections.

It appears that there are 6 "spring loaded" connections in the display, so when i oppened it all these 6 springs spring out. I was outside on a windy day, and only managed to find 5 og the 6 springs.
I replaced the lost spring with one from a ball pen, but it was a bit to large, and as i closed the display up, i guess that it shorted between V+ and GND, so i fried (atleast) the voltage regulator in the display.

I have ordered a new display to speed things up, since I dont have a suiting Vreg (and spring) lying around

The saga continues ;)

jobdone

Just Joined
Mar 21, 2019
Firstly I'd like to say well done for the video, this was the only information I could find on the internet about this problem. I too had this exact problem from a new build. I had done about 500 miles before I started getting error 2s,3s and then a constant error 8. this turned out to be the controller (not the VLCD5) , so when I ordered a new controller I also ordered a new vlcd5 and a metal cog. The controller board sorted my main problem out , but I still had the original problem, the same as above. I changed the wiring to the one that came with my new VLCD5 - still the same issue. with the original wiring (as it was still wire tied down) and the new VLCD5 , ive now done another 250miles without an issue. so to clarify things , this IS a VLCD5 issue, the problem doesn't seem to occur without the throttle attached(for me) so I assume Torbe has the throttle version too?. My new VLCD5 has no issues even with the throttle attached.