Disregarding UK pedelec laws

• Thread starter Deleted member 25121
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 25121

Having followed postings on here for a month or 2 I get the impression that there seems to be a general disregard for the UK ebike laws regarding maximum assisted speed and motor power, I wonder if those who also drive cars have the same disregard for speeding and drink driving whilst driving their cars?
Or is it a case of it's OK to break UK laws because you can get away with it most of the time?

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
The speed cutoff is 15.5 mph. Adjusting that cutoff can hardly be equated with drink driving. :oops:

Do I speed in my car? Yes, when it's safe to do so. But not by a lot. Like most, I'll cruise at 80 on the motorway. My bike can reach 18.5 mph on the motor, when it's safe to do so. I'm still often overtaken by racing bikes that are easily doing 40 mph. They have no cutoff. :) Ebikers that are ultra fit can take their ebikes to as fast as they can on leg power alone. 20 mph or slightly less and no-one bats an eyelid.

D

Deleted member 25121

My bike can reach 18.5 mph on the motor, when it's safe to do so. I'm still often overtaken by racing bikes that are easily doing 40 mph.
But you are breaking the law and the racing bike riders aren't, can you not see the difference?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
It can, they are both breaking the law. Or is it OK to break laws you don't agree with?
In that case you may as well equate going over the cutoff with murder. Let's keep it to just speeding shall we?

But you are breaking the law and the racing bike riders aren't, can you not see the difference?
Yes I can. It's around 20 mph faster than I am. :p

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: ebiker99

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
It can, they are both breaking the law. Or is it OK to break laws you don't agree with?
adjusting the cut off and drink driving are completely different, if they were the same the penalties would be the same.
I would say that the majority of folk on here, myself included, are happy to stay within the laws but for those who don't, it's their choice and they are prepared to take the consequences if caught. Bad behaviour off road and on road by even a small number of ebikers including legal ones worries me far more as it could easily result in a backlash against ebikeing in general.
Dave.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Human nature comes in to play, laws/rules are there to be broken.

No one is queaky clean, one way or another each of us during our lives will have broken some punitive rule or law.

I do every day in one way or another, riding on path, occasionally going over the speed limit by 1 or 2 mph, forgetting to wear a seat belt etc ,etc. I suppose really I'm a very naughty person and the key should have been thrown away many years ago.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Or is it OK to break laws you don't agree with?
I think it is (sort of) OK, as long as you are safe and considerate (as others have stressed). I regularly ride on footpaths when there are no pedestrians trying to use them, and the wrong way up a 20 metre section of one-way (stopping on the pavement if there is a car) to save an extra 1/2 mile. I try very hard to keep to 20/30 mph speed limits (practically the only time I use cruise control), but often drive near 80mph on motorways.

I've seen many more incidents (even allowing for the ratio of riders) of bad regular bike riding than of bad ebike riding.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
I think it is (sort of) OK, as long as you are safe and considerate (as others have stressed). I regularly ride on footpaths when there are no pedestrians trying to use them, and the wrong way up a 20 metre section of one-way (stopping on the pavement if there is a car) to save an extra 1/2 mile. I try very hard to keep to 20/30 mph speed limits (practically the only time I use cruise control), but often drive near 80mph on motorways.

I've seen many more incidents (even allowing for the ratio of riders) of bad regular bike riding than of bad ebike riding.

Blimey @sjpt after reading your post it seems that you're a bigger rebel than @soundwave ! :oops::D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Blimey @sjpt after reading your post it seems that you're a bigger rebel than @soundwave ! :oops::D
But he only drives at 80mph on motorways.

From the 1990s to the start of the current decade I travelled the 140 mile trip to my brother's in Dorset several times a year. Every trip down was in just under 2 hours, an average of 70mph. Less than half the distance was motorways or dual carriageways and much of the rest was country lanes often limited to 40 mph or less. Running at around 100 on the three motorway sections pushed the average up, but the other roads had to be driven at well over limits.

The secret was setting out at around 4.30 am, never later than 5 am, the nicest time to drive on our roads when they are quite quiet and the only others around are similarly minded and often drive the same way.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
You can't equate riding an illegal electric bike with motoring offences like drunk driving or speeding. Loads of people are killed when people commit those driving offences, but there isn't a single case on record of someone being killed by an illegal electric bike in this country.
In my opinion, there's more of a case for banning mobile phones being used by pedestrians (and cyclists). Or for fining their use whilst walking or riding along. As you would with a car driver. Having a peaceful, safe bike ride was a nightmare when they decided to infect our local country park with Pokemon hunters! :eek:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
there isn't a single case on record of someone being killed by an illegal electric bike in this country.
One of our West Country members died when riding one. He started to suffer a heart attack when out riding, fell off and subsequently died. Not the sort of road accident you had in mind though and the only death on a pedelec that we know of.

His wife kindly advised us of the accident and it's true circumstances.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 25121

You can't equate riding an illegal electric bike with motoring offences like drunk driving or speeding. Loads of peopke are killed when people commit those driving offences, but there isn't a single case on record of someone being kilked by an illegal electric bike in this country.
So, speeding when driving a car is a BAD THING but speeding on an illegal ebike is OK. Interesting thought.

What about speeding on a motorbike, is that a bad thing or is it OK?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Speeding on a motorbike is pretty much equivalent to speeding in a car ... unless the motorbike makes more noise in which case it is much worse (whether speeding or not).

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
I think the OP is winding us up. I don't suppose he's ever taken a pencil from school or lit a garden fire before dusk.
The worst offence I ever committed was to forget a wedding anniversary. Now that is dangerous.

D

Deleted member 25121

Speeding on a motorbike is pretty much equivalent to speeding in a car ... unless the motorbike makes more noise in which case it is much worse (whether speeding or not).
Ah, I see now, speeding on an illegal ebike is OK because its quiet.

How about speeding in a nice quiet electric car, is that OK?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Ah, I see now, speeding on an illegal ebike is OK because its quiet.

How about speeding in a nice quiet electric car, is that OK?
All OK, as long as the speeding is also safe and considerate. Noisy motor bikes (or noisy motor cars, noisy leaf blowers, or if they exist, noisy electric bikes) are never considerate regardless of speed.

Maybe noisy leaf blowers are worst; their speed is so low that the noise persists longer.

Reactions: flecc

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
So, speeding when driving a car is a BAD THING but speeding on an illegal ebike is OK. Interesting thought.

What about speeding on a motorbike, is that a bad thing or is it OK?
One kills people, the other doesn't. That seems like a pretty big difference to me.
Speeding on a motorbike kills some people, but not as many as cars, so if you want an order of preference.
1. Speeding on an electric bike
2. Speeding on a motorbike
3. Speeding in a car
4. Speeding in a truck or bus.

As Leighping says, more pedestrians have been killed when using their mobile phones than by illegal electric bikes. Are you on the phone forum ranting about that?