DIY Conversion - Voodoo Marasa

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Well after a bit of a break from all things Ebike I am back this time moving to the dark side of large wheeled bikes and rear wheel motor conversions!

I have a lot of experienced in converting small wheeled bikes (Bromptons) and cut my teath on learning to build small wheels with Tongxin motors in them.

This project was sparked from rebuilding a S/H Voodoo Marasa and trying a couple of ebikes in Halfords as per this thread

So after some message exchanges with D8veh (such a helpful guy) I have settled on:

1. Q100C CST 36V350W 32-hole Rear Driving Hub Motor - RPM : 201 from BMS. I did considered the new light weight Xiongda motor some are trying but decided to start with a proven motor.

2. 36V/48V 350W 6 Mosfets 17A Brushless DC Sine Wave Controller with KT-LCD display from PSWPOWER. I decided this would give more options should I want to experiment with different battery packs i.e 36v or 48v.

Things have come a long way since my first builds in 2009 with narrow Tongxin motors in Bromptons, thumb throttle only and no display in sight!

Back then I would programme controllers from my PC. These new LCDs look really interesting.

Here is the donor bike.

IMG_0393.jpg

Its a lovely bike to ride now that I have updated it to hydraulic disc brakes and single main ring to an eight speed on the rear. Two inch Big Apple Plus tyres help with comfort.

I will be starting off with my DIY 36v, 6AH 5s4p * 2 pack (Sony Konion Cells) which weighs about 2kg and can be discreetly hidden. I could build the same battery now with half the weight but this one is still going strong after 3 years. As I live and ride around Cambridge the above seems the best fit riding mostly on flat terrain.

Time to work out spoke sizes!

Jerry

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Hmm just thought, I wonder if the motor comes with a waterproof wire connector to connect it from its plug to the controller ?

I am use to three pin connectors only!

Looks like I should have ordered one of these :(

PS I have asked BMS if they will add one to my order.

Sigh

Jerry

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If I remember correctly the hub comes with one.

Reactions: jerrysimon

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Phew :)

Thanks Nealh.

Jerry

D

Deleted member 4366

Yes, it has the 9 pin connector and the speed sensor in the hub, so should be plug and play with that KT controller. When you connect the motor cable to the controller, check that the colour of the three hall sensor wires match.

Reactions: jerrysimon

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Good to know d8veh thanks. Now its a waiting game for it all to turn up.

Jerry

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Wow these suppliers reply quick. Guess they know I am a new customer and already want to know a list of things I want for my next order!

They sent me a pic of the wire that is included :)

433E9429@52C1CF69.26A57159.jpg

I remember the days back in 2010 when communication was difficult, wires got crossed and you ended up with the wrong part. Always delivered though. Sometimes once you placed the order they then started to make it and it could take two/three weeks before it was even shipped!

Jerry

D

Deleted member 4366

Yes, the Chinese sellers have been doing this for a long time now, so they know their stuff, unlike some of the UK suppliers that don't know the difference between a sine-wave controller and a square wave one, and can't even tell you the speed of their motors. Don't get too excited yet though, it all changes when you tell them that your kit doesn't work. Luckily that doesn't happen very often, and most of the time it's the buyer's fault, which is why they clam up, I guess.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Yep like when I ordered Tongxins and got ones with roller brake fittings instead :eek:

4181685674_9ebc6e663a_o.jpg

Managed to take it apart and cut down the shaft a few months later though

At these prices its ok. I use to always double up my orders and considered it warranty for parts failure. Still worked out cheaper than £850 Brompton conversion kits!

Like you said though you need to know what you are doing. I cut my teeth on this forum with so much help, advice and guiadance when I got stuck!

Jerry

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Been thinking about trying the Xiongda motors that D8veh and awol are testing.

The supplier sent me some nice pics today this is the front one.

thumbnail_YTW-06 KIT.jpg

thumbnail_YTW06 LISHUI CONTROLLER_副本.jpg

Maybe on my wifes Halford's Pendleton.

At the moment it only comes with 36 hole versions.

Jerry

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Looking at that controller I note they are sensorless ? might even work with my Tongxins. Would be nice to try on my Brompton with the flashy screen.

Infact the front one would probably be good on the Brompton though I guess too wide.

Jerry

D

Deleted member 4366

100mm wide, so too wide for the Brompton unless you stretch the forks. You forgot to mention the 48v version. I think I might at least have one of the controllers and LCDs on my shopping list soon..

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Yes too wide likely and yep for some the 48V one would be very desirable.

Jerry

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
DHL have contacted me about my PSWPOWER order asking me to pay £3.79 custom charges so not sure what they put on the package. I paid £56.67 incl p&p for the controller/LCD.

If this is the total charge then that is not bad. In the past I have also had to pay a £7 admin charge, though you never know sometimes you have a bill come through the door later.

Said it will be delivered 26th July. Fingers crossed. No news from BMS about shipping yet.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Might get another bill as according to their website

"How much is the Advance Payment / Disbursement I have to pay?An amount of £11.00 or 2.5% of the total Duty and/or VAT incurred, whichever is the greater."

We will see :)

D

Deleted member 4366

No, the bill was for £11.80 duty and £12 Fedex charge..

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Dave, but the bill was only £3.79 ?

D

Deleted member 4366

Sorry, i thought you were asking about my Xiongda bill.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
This was DHL my BMS order is coming via Parcel Force so it will be interesting to see how different couriers apply charges.

I doubt it will be consistant lol

Jerry