For Sale DIY project folding ebike - Merc (Brompton clone) - 250W 36V (no battery)

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
£350
(also advertised in Facebook marketplace)

This Brompton clone built by Merc has a frame made of aluminium. The rear wheel hub is a 3-speed Sturmey Archer. This model has the luggage rack with mini wheels, and the M-type handlebar.

The front wheel is cross-laced with a barely-used (low stress) Bafang / 8-Fun 250W 36V hub motor which delivers a ton of reliable torque (especially noticeable with the small 16" wheel!)
Low-mileage Schwalbe Marathon tyre.

The programmable ebike controller handles 10A, which is plenty of power for this application.

There is a brake cut off, and a pedal sensor. There is a 3-position power selector on the handle bar, as well as a rotary throttle control on the other side (which overrides the pedal sensor).

One of the spokes in the rear wheel snapped (nothing to do with the ebike conversion, it broke before that). The wheel works but of course it is not as safe as it should be.

Note that the 36V battery is not supplied, but I am selling parts separately for (very) keen DIY-ers ;) (i.e. cells and BMS)

Reason for selling: I built this as a fun backup for my main project: a Brompton with a 250W Tongxin (in practice, a less powerful but more fragile setup compared with the Bafang). I ended up riding the Brompton a lot, and it never failed ... so the spare Merc remained folded in my garage most all of the time. It is now time to let it go.

I took photos quickly to post this listing, and I didn't even take the time to clean the dust off the frame. I will of course give the bike a good wipe before selling :)

I tested the motor and its various controls, just before taking the pictures (using my 36V DIY e-Brompton battery)

Note that if you already own a "real" Brompton, you could use this Merc as a donor bike to DIY your very own e-Brompton (i.e. swap the widened fork + wheel). This is a reversible operation if you hold onto your original fork and wheel.

Collection only, Crowborough (East Sussex, South East England)

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
...and if you are comfortable building battery packs, I also have this 36V LiFePO4 Battery Management System rated 40A (Li Ping BMS v2.5)

This is the BMS v2.5 from Li-Ping, which came with my LifePO4 battery pack (10Ah, 24 cells, 12s2p layout, each prismatic cell is 3.2v 5000mah).

This BMS is rated for 40A maximum continuous discharge current. It features the usual protection against over charge and discharge, etc. More importantly, this BMS automatically balances the cells during the charge phase.

I have the original pouch cells, but unfortunately two of them "died" (low voltage), thus why I decided to sell the BMS separately so it doesn't go to waste.

I also have the 36V charger dedicated to this BMS, with the original connectors. I will consider offers for this too :)

I will not ship the battery cells, but I will consider selling for cash on collection. This would be an interesting project, actually: reduce the capacity from 10Ah to 5Ah by keeping the best 12 cells out of the 24 (12S1P instead of 12S2P layout). Throw the 2 bad cells away, but keep the remaining 10 for backup or other projects ;)

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
I created a separate listing for the BMS and battery cells (+ charger)

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Re-posting photos, sorry.

Attachments

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Bike sold.
Bafang / 8-Fun e-Brompton wheel still available :)

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
The wheel is still available. It is actually sold as a kit, including cut-off brake levers, pedal assist sensor, throttle override, and of course the controller which ties it all up (all wires and connectors included, "plug and play"). Oh, and the wheel comes with a quality tyre fitted, obviously.

This is sold without a 36V battery. I tested it with a temporary connection to my other ebike battery, so I know it all works fine. The aluminium surface of the hub motor has slight surface whitening, but no pitting / corrosion (the kit has been stored dry in my garage alongside my e-Brompton).

I intended to keep it as a spare/alternative to my lighter-weight and more silent Tongxin wheel, but it is time I let it go now as I have just not been using it much at all. It is a powerful unit, and very reliable too (geared, planetary). The Tongxin is less powerful and can slip due to its friction-based system, but it suits my use case (short trips to the local shops).

You will need to spread a standard steel Brompton fork in order to fit. From the top of my head I cannot remember the exact figure, but there are several threads on this subject in this forum (including my own).

Shipping will probably cost a fair bit given the size and weight of the final packaged parcel. I usually use DPD Local, but for smaller / lighter items. Maybe an extra £20-£30 ... I would need to investigate.

Having looked at the current market, I think £190 is a fair asking price (plus postage).

I will take a few close up pictures to show useful details.

Regards, Daniel

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Wait, I still have my own spare widened fork...let me look into it!

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
I have one of those Merc clones in my garage. It is now retired, but I did about 4000 miles on it. I had several issues with the broken rear spokes and I had to get heavier gauge ones which solved that problem. I am not heavy, weighing about twelve stone, so I think there is an issue with the merc rear spokes. I believe the Merc was based on the original early Brompton design and that Brompton later increased the spoke gauge. The front ones never failed. The problem wasn't poor maintenance either. I used to regularly check for loose spokes and correct if ever I found them.

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Pictures of the e-wheel kit (Google Photos album):

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
So, I do indeed have a spare steel fork, painted black (picture in the Google Photo album, link in my previous post). This is originally from my Merc, so not a Brompton part (but it should be compatible). Anyway, I am including it with the e-wheel kit at no extra cost. The fork can be used to do a spreading trial, or for a test rig. It is probably fine for riding with, but I would personally have reservations about using it with the full torque of the electric hub motor (weld quality compared with a proper Brompton fork).

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009