Do any bike manufacturers provide for accessories to plug in?

The Silverfox

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2021
Cardiff, UK
With a readily available source of power on an eBike I would have thought manufacturers would provide some way of powering accessories. I’m thinking of something like an electric tyre pump. I suppose you could even go as far as a small kettle to make a drink on the go. Most of my rides are around the 30 to 40 miles mark and I’ve never gone lower than 70% after the ride so there is plenty of spare capacity.

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020
Istr that some of the Bosch displays have usb output, but that would be limited to running or charging your phone, I don't know any that can run a tyre pump (usually 12v cigarette lighter socket) much less a kettle.

I have a nice electric tyre pump, but that has its own built in battery. See

(no referral fee)

The Silverfox

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2021
Cardiff, UK
Istr that some of the Bosch displays have usb output, but that would be limited to running or charging your phone, I don't know any that can run a tyre pump (usually 12v cigarette lighter socket) much less a kettle.

I have a nice electric tyre pump, but that has its own built in battery. See

(no referral fee)
Yes the Bosch Kiox display has a charging port for your phone but that's all it can handle.

I was thinking more of a socket on the battery or motor that you could power higher wattage accessories. It would certainly be handy for topping up tyre pressure or inflating a tyre after a puncture on a ride, especially the fatter tyres that can be a bit of a handful using the small hand pumps like the one I carry with me.

It just occurred to me that I have all that spare battery power most of the time and it could be put to use. I'm surprised the manufacturers haven't jumped on the accessories band-wagon.

That pump you have looks good. I might have to invest in one of those.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
You can buy converters on Amazon, Ebay etc to convert 36/42v battery to 12v. I use one to power my 12v car fridge to keep beer cool on the beach when I don't need one of my batteries on the bike.

Like GSV3, I use a battery pump (Xiaomi version) for pumping up bike tyres though. They're brilliant.

Reactions: The Silverfox

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I suppose you could even go as far as a small kettle to make a drink on the go.
Makita do a coffee peculator that runs off its batteries. I dont know how voltages and amps go but maybe that could be adapted.

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
I fitted a bbs01b kit, I put a split feed connector on the battery output, routed through a switch and fuse, to run front and rear/brake lights, usb socket, horn. It would be easy enough to add an appropriate 12v converter and socket. Kits might be more adaptable, no hidden wiring, canbus etc.

The Silverfox

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2021
Cardiff, UK
I fitted a bbs01b kit, I put a split feed connector on the battery output, routed through a switch and fuse, to run front and rear/brake lights, usb socket, horn. It would be easy enough to add an appropriate 12v converter and socket. Kits might be more adaptable, no hidden wiring, canbus etc.
Mine's a Bosch so not much chance of hacking it about but I agree it could be done quite easily with a kit I would think.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
With a readily available source of power on an eBike I would have thought manufacturers would provide some way of powering accessories. I’m thinking of something like an electric tyre pump. I suppose you could even go as far as a small kettle to make a drink on the go. Most of my rides are around the 30 to 40 miles mark and I’ve never gone lower than 70% after the ride so there is plenty of spare capacity.
You may find this interesting when compared to the amount of energy you may have left in your battery during a ride:-
Also, assuming that you have a 36 volt battery, a kettle element for 36 volt DC I have personally never seen, so you will need a DC to DC converter, to get to 12 volts for most things, but if you are lucky, there are things around for 24 volt trucks, which might be OK on 36 volts, if the battery "state" can supply the needed current continuously.
My personal take would be to take a meths stove and kettle and a pump with a built in battery.....or possibly a second spare bike battery.....
Remember that bike batteries are generally expensive to buy, and have basically only a certain number of recharges in them, often specified as 2000 or so, but many people count themselves lucky to achieve 500 recharges....
It would be interesting to experiment as a cup of tea or coffee on a long run would appeal to many of us possibly, certainly the idea has some merit.
regards
Andy

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I suggest a thermos flask and a hand pump.

• Agree
Reactions: Jimod and Andy-Mat

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
My personal take would be to take a meths stove
I've read a number of posts over the years of old roadies off on long club meets who always brought a small trangia type stove, and would hunker down behind some dry stone wall out in deepest Yorkshire to get a mid ride warm up brew going.

Last edited:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Exactly what I do at the moment. I just thought somebody must have thought of it but obviously not.
I think its an excellent suggestion. Product design has always been an interest of mine and I'm a furniture designer, so love suggestions of 'What can we do to achieve this'

Took a look and the lowest powered kettles are for caravan/car lighter socket which are 12v, but they all state that it would take about 20 mins to boil even a single cup of water(About 400ml).

I think though as time goes on, more innovations will bring forth more and more product ideas as the ebike is set to be sure the main form of transport for those without a car.
Obviously your thinking is ahead of it's time :cool:

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
What I would like is a row of contacts on the outside of the battery so that the cells can easily be monitored and if necessary rebalanced

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh