Do any ebikes still have throttle?

oregon

Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2008
Palmers Green, London
My 2013 Wisper bike has recently died (I am enquiring if it can be revived). I am very used to the throttle feature that it had. However, I am reading that new ebikes no longer have throttle.

This is very disappointing. Does anyone know of a bike that has something resembling what I am used to?

Thanks in advance.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
You might want to read this thread:
people ARE being stopped by the police for riding suspect ebikes.
Did you see the 'bike' that lyndavies1966 bought?

It does not look like an EAPC, it does not even have cranks and pedals.
This is her 'bike', no wonder she's got stopped.
If has even got a blank number plate!

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/F2EAAOSwX2JcpekJ/s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: oregon

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Wisper will supply new bikes legally with a full working throttle, they get the bike legally certified.
I think it is about £175 on top of bike price for this service.

Other bike brands you are allowed a throttle but it has to be activated by peddling first,
if you come to a stop the throttle function ceases and again you need to pedal first before it will activate again.

Last edited:

oregon

Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2008
Palmers Green, London
Wisper will supply new bikes legally with a full working throttle, they get the bike legally certified.
I think it is about £175 on top of bike price for this service.
Thanks. After my Wisper bike has broke down in the manner that it has. I am hesitant to get another Wisper..

Do no other manufacturers offer the same?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
6 years is good going for a bike of that price ;)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Fo
Thanks. After my Wisper bike has broke down in the manner that it has. I am hesitant to get another Wisper..

Do no other manufacturers offer the same?
Your being a bit unfair in dissing the Wisper for breaking down.
You have said you left it out and it poured with rain and got wet, not many bikes will like being stood out in rain and expect to work. If it had rain cover it would still be working.
Simply put electrics do not like standing rain.

No one else offers this process that we have heard of.
There is no reason why you can't go down the same route your self but to do so I beleive you have to take the bike to Southampton fior the SVA test.

Reactions: Woosh

oregon

Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2008
Palmers Green, London
Yes I think I was a little unfair. The bike has lasted me almost 6 years.

I was doing some research last night. I saw a bike Vanmoof Electric S2 which looks good but is expensive.. Of course, it doesnt have the same thottle. I will have another look at the Wisper range.

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
I think anyone selling you a new ebike with a throttle may be being a bit economical with the truth. As far as I know no bike sold since 1st Jan 2016 can have a throttle (except for the walk assist ) otherwise it doesn't count legally as an ebike. They may sell you one - but if they say that this is still legal - be suspicious - and get it in writing!

https://www.gov.uk/electric-bike-rules

If anyone thinks different please say so in case I have some details wrong

Of course - unless you seriously annoy a police officer I can't see them checking as long and it looks and operates like an ebike in every other way

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
https://www.gov.uk/electric-bike-rules

If anyone thinks different please say so in case I have some details wrong
Only the manufacturers or importers are banned fitting a twist and go throttle to new bikes.
Users can fit a throttle if they wish, the police are not interested in pursuing anyone using a throttle on a normal EAPC.
If you want a cast iron certainty, buy one with a Type Approval or apply and pay £55 for an SVA. The SVA does not even mention the word throttle on it!

There is a picture of the Type Approval here:

Again, the word throttle is not mentioned anywhere!
Basically, nobody checks the throttle and there is no specifications to check against the supplied throttle anyway.
The thumb throttle is not a big issue on an e-bike.
Most of my customers hardly notice their presence and rarely use them.
Some have medical issues, in that case, the throttle is a re-assuring backup.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 25121

Only the manufacturers or importers are banned fitting a twist and go throttle to new bikes.
Users can fit a throttle if they wish, the police are not interested in pursuing anyone using a throttle on a normal EAPC.
If you want a cast iron certainty, buy one with a Type Approval or apply and pay £55 for an SVA. The SVA does not even mention the word throttle on it!

There is a picture of the Type Approval here:

Again, the word throttle is not mentioned anywhere!
Basically, nobody checks the throttle and there is no specifications to check against the supplied throttle anyway.
The thumb throttle is not a big issue on an e-bike.
Most of my customers hardly notice their presence and rarely use them.
Some have medical issues, in that case, the throttle is a re-assuring backup.
Have you read this thread by somebody being stopped by the police for having a twist and go throttle?:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Have you read this thread by somebody being stopped by the police for having a twist and go throttle?:
no, but I have heard some stopped by the police for having one of those 1KW motor conversions speeding at 30mph without pedaling around Southend.
One of my customers got me to fit a BBS01 to his bike after the event.
(For the record, I don't sell these kits.)
This thread is about getting a normal EPAC but with a throttle.
The usual route is to buy the bike with the throttle option (like one of the Oxygens) which can be supplied either by the shop or the manufacturer and fit it AFTER the bike has been used on the road.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 25121

You might want to read this thread:
people ARE being stopped by the police for riding suspect ebikes.

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
From the .gov website

The bike must also be type approved if either:
  • it does not meet the EAPC rules
  • it can be propelled without pedalling (a ‘twist and go’ EAPC)
This should have been done by the manufacturer or importer before you bought it. If it’s been type approved, it will have a plate showing its type approval number.

But I agree - I can't see any police checking - apart from anything else they would have to get into when the bike was bought and that could prove far too difficult to bother with unless you really annoyed them or did something extreme

I can only really see them stopping someone - or checking their bike- if it was obvious that it didn't comply with the regs - such as seeing someone wizzing up a hill at 30mph from a standing start without any attempt to pedal

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
This should have been done by the manufacturer or importer before you bought it. If it’s been type approved, it will have a plate showing its type approval number.
the rule applies only to the manufacturers and importers, not to the individuals and concerns only the twist and go throttle. If you twist the throttle and it doesn't go, then it's not a twist and go throttle.
That's why if you convert your bike, you can have a throttle because the police and trading standards are not interested in you, they are policing only manufacturers.

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
the rule applies only to the manufacturers and importers, not to the individuals and concerns only the twist and go throttle. If you twist the throttle and it doesn't go, then it's not a twist and go throttle.
That's why if you convert your bike, you can have a throttle because the police and trading standards are not interested in you, they are policing only manufacturers.
Thanks - just wondering - can all bikes be converted to have a throttle or do you need to have a controller/motor designed to work with one?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Thanks - just wondering - can all bikes be converted to have a throttle or do you need to have a controller/motor designed to work with one?
you normally use a controller with a throttle input but if you don't have it, you can make a 'throttle adapter' using a microcontroller like in this thread:
Basically, you convert the voltage of your throttle to pulses to replace the pedal sensor pulses. The frequency of the pulses need to be proportional to the voltage and triggered only after detecting a few pedal sensor's pulses.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I think (?) the rule does officially apply, but the police don't generally apply it to individuals because they haven't the resources.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I think (?) the rule does officially apply, but the police don't generally apply it to individuals because they haven't the resources.
we discussed the subject to death before the rule applied (January 2016). The forum's administrators wrote to the DfT asking for clarifications. It's a shame that I could not locate the threads and copies of the DfT replies. Perhaps some members remember these correspondences.
If I remember correctly, the DfT made clear that the rule applies only to manufacturers and bikes sold in shops, not to end users.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
we discussed the subject to death before the rule applied (January 2016). The forum's administrators wrote to the DfT asking for clarifications. It's a shame that I could not locate the threads and copies of the DfT replies. Perhaps some members remember these correspondences.
If I remember correctly, the DfT made clear that the rule applies only to manufacturers and bikes sold in shops, not to end users.
Fundamentally it's the Type Approval regulation 168/2013 that exempts pedelcs from being considered motor vehicles if they comply with certain conditions. One such is that power must cease when pedalling stops. And the Type Approval legislation only applies to manufacturers.

The 1983 EAPC regulations as amended 2015 is the usage law that applies to us as owners and is somewhat more vague. The usage guidance from the DfT in 2005 said this:

Clipboard01.jpg

Which clearly does not allow throttle operation without pedalling, and that was not altered in the 2015 law amendment. The section 3 mentioned is the need for single vehicle type approval if fitted with a throttle.

However, the current 2015 DfT guideline for usage omits that part of the law when specifying the exemption requirements, yet perversely goes on the specify that type approval is needed if a twist and go throttle is fitted.

I think this is deliberately ambiguous, the DfT giving a nod and a wink to self created throttle bikes. They obviously know it doesn't match EU law since they have said it doesn't apply outside of Great Britain.

So individuals can fit a throttle without fear of prosecution, the DfT would prevent any such attempt.

Last edited: