Do batteries have hissy fits on a semi-regular basis then?

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West
Had a terrific trip on the Salisbury today, arriving at my destination to attend to business, (successfully on this occasion, should have a bit more coming in), but the battery had a hissy fit, three-quarters of the way back home. The bike has been off the road all week while I made adjustments to the handlebars, hacksawed my way through stubborn bolts, and fitted a pair of beautiful Transz X mini bar ends - so light, whilst waiting to be fitted I had to tie them down with string to stop them floating away. :)

- At a stroke they solve two problems for straight handlebar e-bike owners.

a) They provide a multitude of additional positions for your hands, why don't e-bike retailers fit them as standard?
And
b) Most importantly for me, they allow you to stretch out a little when the need arises.

Had to hacksaw off the ends of the throttle grip and the other grip too, just to allow the bar ends to fit; wrapped old inner-tube round the hard plastic grips - bootiful now, if I can wean myself off inner-tube comfort I'll cover them with proper cork handlebar tape at some point.

Anyway, and maybe because I was enjoying 'stretching out' on the bike at long last, I found that when I set out I was storming away, zooming up steep slopes, belting along ordinary roads. The wind direction must have been in the right direction or something because I was on the smallest sprocket the whole way! Never done that before! Unbelievable ride! 10 or 12 miles or so at between 15 mph and 20mph I'd guess, (still no replacement c/computer). And it felt assisted also - I know, I know, it cuts out at 15 mph - but it didn't FEEL like it had.

Then on the way back with two lights still showing all power evaporated and I was returned to earth a mere mortal; like chugging through cement - what a difference! Crossed a busy pelican-controlled intersection and slowed up to let some pedestrians pass by; the 'rest period' for the battery seemed to do the trick because immediately I felt the power returning and it helped assist me the rest of the way home without any further cause for concern.

Later this evening I popped out to the late night shopping centre (2 miles or so), and again it behaved faultlessly as I luxuriated in my thick and cushy home made inner-tube handlebar tape.

Have I been exhausting the battery to nil too often? (habit of long rides that exceed the batteries full charge ie., more than 27 miles per ride on average).

Tonight I've slapped it on charge whilst there's still two lights showing. (The Salisbury only sports three lights in total).

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It could be using it with continuous high drain Danny, this chemically tiring the cells on lithium batteries, and the recovery by reducing or removing the load indicates that's likely.

This is more common on bikes with the most powerful motors though, and unusual on moderately powered bikes like the Salisbury. If it's happening frequently on a new bike it might be worth tackling the dealer or Powacycle about it, since I wouldn't expect that in the first year to eighteen months of your battery's life.

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
I second the bar end idea. It makes such a difference on long journeys to be able to vary your position. I got hold of the Topeak Bar 'n' Mirror bar ends, they've got long fold out adjustable mirrors integrated in them which you can fold back in when you're off road. Two solutions for the price of one! I wouldn't be without mirror or bar end these days.

RedSkywalker

Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2008
Danny I've got a Salisbury too and I've had the same experience as you with an unexplained sudden loss of power. The first time it happened I was less than a mile out on level tracks, on a freshly recharged battery - all three lights were showing but the bike felt like lead. After I stopped and switched the power on/off a couple of times it behaved perfectly and I continued on the tracks for another 10 miles without a prob.

Since then I've had the same thing happen a few more times and there doesn't seem to be any similarity about the circumstances when it does this - just a random thing.

I've just accepted it and I've learned to lean down and switch the power on/off while I'm riding [when it's safe to do it] but once it was very persistant and it took quite a while to get it back working normally - could this be a common fault on the Salisbury?

Can I ask you about the bar end inside the throttle grip that you sawed off - was it as simple as just cutting it off? no wires, etc? and could you fit a bar end mirror through the cut out? Cheers

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Danny I've got a Salisbury too and I've had the same experience as you with an unexplained sudden loss of power. The first time it happened I was less than a mile out on level tracks, on a freshly recharged battery - all three lights were showing but the bike felt like lead. After I stopped and switched the power on/off a couple of times it behaved perfectly and I continued on the tracks for another 10 miles without a prob.

Since then I've had the same thing happen a few more times and there doesn't seem to be any similarity about the circumstances when it does this - just a random thing.

I've just accepted it and I've learned to lean down and switch the power on/off while I'm riding [when it's safe to do it] but once it was very persistant and it took quite a while to get it back working normally - could this be a common fault on the Salisbury?

Can I ask you about the bar end inside the throttle grip that you sawed off - was it as simple as just cutting it off? no wires, etc? and could you fit a bar end mirror through the cut out? Cheers
Very similar behaviour was commonplace on the higher power eZee models when the first Li-ion batteries were introduced, switching off and then back on temporarily correcting the situation. It was due to the battery being unable to maintain the current demanded on a continuous basis, the cells chemically tiring. Resting them enabled recovery, and the longer the rest the better the recovery. They are past that trouble now with the newer batteries, so if it is that battery problem, I've no doubt over time Powacycle batteries will develop and not have this problem.

RedSkywalker

Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2008
Fech that's interesting - did the fault become more frequent with age do you know? or does it remain just an occasional thing?

Also, I do a 4 mile round trip to work each day and I started off charging the battery each day but it seemed a bit like overkill [most of the time all the lights were showing] so now I just recharge every second day [8 miles] - do you think that's reasonable for the battery?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
More frequent with age as the capacity gradually reduced. Your charging pattern is reasonable at present, but after a year or so as the battery capacity and range reduces you'll probably find daily charging better.

One blessing with the Salisbury is that the battery price is one of the lowest around, so when the time comes for replacement and benefit from any improvements, the bill will be much lower than usual.

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West
Danny I've got a Salisbury too... Can I ask you about the bar end inside the throttle grip that you sawed off - was it as simple as just cutting it off? no wires, etc? and could you fit a bar end mirror through the cut out? Cheers
Yes it was quite simple to do, no wire cutting involved at all, and yes it is now a cinch to fit bar end mirrors, however the levers do already have a mounting to accept screw-in mirrors, (moped mirrors that is).

First I unscrewed the grub screws that hold the grips tight to the bars - the right hand throttle grip came off in seconds. The left hand grip is locked in place by the three-position switch; so slacken the grub screw that releases the switch and slide it AWAY, inwards from the handlebar grip. The left handlebar grip is now still held on fast by sheer force of friction and in the end I resorted to a pair of mole pliers and then they came off whilst twisting to and fro. Using mole grips however left the grip defaced and scratched when I finally pushed/slid the grip back on. This wasn't a problem for me as I intended covering them both with handlebar tape as I find the hard plastic grips uncomfortable on longer distances, in fact downright tortourous in use! (In the end I covered mine temporarily with old inner-tube rubber. I'm so enamoured of the comfort that I've delayed buying proper comfortable handlebar tape).

Using a long screw-driver I undid the screw, reaching down inside the grips that held the shiny chrome end-caps of the h/grips, thinking that would reveal the opening, but it didn't; the grip body itself was still forming an end over the grips - so I could see how thick the end was, and hack-sawed the end of. The first time I was a bit scaredy-cat and didn't quite saw enough off, so had to saw just a sliver off a second time and hey presto - success! The second grip I got right in one go. Both h/grips when fitted, now revealed the opening of the actual handlebar itself and the new bar-ends just slide on the end and bolted up. The bar-ends take up a little of the handlebar space, (they have to), so you need to undo everything that sits on your handlebar and move everything inboard slightly. As it turned out, I disliked the fleshy part of my palm brushing up against the bar-ends so I undid everything and moved the h/grips inwards a little so that when my hands were on the h/grips no part of my palm or hand brushed against the bar-ends. I bought some foam grips for £1 from the car bootsale the other day, and I'm in the process of sliding those over the bar-ends themselves, unnecessary, but it gives a lovely comfy fit all round.

The resulting gap between the end of the grips and the bar-end I filled neatly by wrapping yet more old inner-tube rubber around, (just use the proper thing, a little piece of handlebar tape).

I've never liked straight bars, (basically I'm a dropped handlebar man), but the bar-ends are fast making me a convert - the number of new positions you can adopt with the bar-ends completely removes any fatigue that might set-in on longer trips.

You have to accept that you now have two handlebar grips that are permanently shorter in length than they were originally.

Last edited: