Do E-Bikers have "Cyclists Nose"

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I was driving through town this morning and was waiting behind a stopped bus for a cyclist to pass going the other way. As he passed me he blocked one nostril and snorted the most discusting globlet of snot all over the road and then moved to do the same with the other nostril, thankfully out of my sight.
I have seen cyclists do this before but never in such graphic close up detail and thought.. Why?
I have never had a nasal blockage when riding, in fact the excersise tends to clear my airways not block them and feel that this is no different from spitting which I understand is illegal in some areas.
Have any members found themselves needing to perfom this action?

• Informative
Reactions: beenz and LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I cycled unpowered until almost 70 and then e-biking, but have never done anything like that. I have suffered blocked nostrils but have always stopped and used a handkerchief.

Spitting has been ruled an offence of littering in a landmark case, so exactly the same would apply to what you witnessed. The highest UK fine for littering is £2500 if it's persistent, which I suppose two nostrils in succession could be.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Recently in our local chippy, with me having arrived by bike, we were discussing the interaction between cars, bikes and people when the shop owner said all biking should be banned, which was a very out of characer statement but when pressed he explained that a big group rides past his house on a sunday morning engaging in several conversations among themselves and their language is appaling. The problem being that in such a large group with simultanius active chats they have to shout to be heard, so can then be overheard by everyone else including families with small children who dont want to hear such language.
So it looks like spitting and swearing are cycling bad habbits.

ttxela

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
Cambridgeshire
I use my handkerchief, if you keep it in the top pocket of your waistcoat on the opposite side to your watch-chain you can usually access it without the need to stop, folding it neatly to put it back can be a challenge though.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I use my handkerchief, if you keep it in the top pocket of your waistcoat on the opposite side to your watch-chain you can usually access it without the need to stop, folding it neatly to put it back can be a challenge though.
Well quite

Though this means you must have one of those new fangled half albert watch chains. I prefer the traditional version ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
Well, I'm afraid I do this all of the time. It's not a case of a blocked nose but just the opposite. My nose runs like mad in the fresh air and this method keeps my mouth and chin dry. Worse still is when it happens on the motor bike with a helmet on.
My local GP, who also rides a motor bike, also has this problem and once told me the long name for this medical affliction which I promptly forgot. So perhaps you are discriminating against someone with a medical disability.
Wondering now if I could get a blue badge for this:D.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Well, I'm afraid I do this all of the time. It's not a case of a blocked nose but just the opposite. My nose runs like mad in the fresh air and this method keeps my mouth and chin dry. Worse still is when it happens on the motor bike with a helmet on.
My local GP, who also rides a motor bike, also has this problem and once told me the long name for this medical affliction which I promptly forgot. So perhaps you are discriminating against someone with a medical disability.
Wondering now if I could get a blue badge for this:D.
A bunch of fives might help.[emoji1787]

• Agree
Reactions: Tom Rae

Related Articles

Advertisers