Do we need a "Music we like" Thread"?

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
We seem to have a good cross section of modern society registered here so just wondering what music (If any) you guys and gals listen to?

I'm into anything apart from English Folk music (If I hear the faintest hint of a "Hey Nonny Nonny" I'm outa here), Likewise Rap. To "Almost" paraphrase Forrest Gump. Life is like a bar of Chocolate, it's a lot better after you remove the wrapper). :)

But lots more in my arsenal from country to Punk. :)

I'll start with one of my faves... Eva Cassidy never really recognised for her talent until after she sadly died of a brain tumor at the all too early age of 33 in November 1996.

A bluesy voice of an angel.

TTFN
John.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
We seem to have a good cross section of modern society registered here so just wondering what music (If any) you guys and gals listen to?

I'm into anything apart from English Folk music (If I hear the faintest hint of a "Hey Nonny Nonny" I'm outa here), Likewise Rap. To "Almost" paraphrase Forrest Gump. Life is like a bar of Chocolate, it's a lot better after you remove the wrapper). :)

But lots more in my arsenal from country to Punk. :)

I'll start with one of my faves... Eva Cassidy never really recognised for her talent until after she sadly died of a brain tumor at the all too early age of 33 in November 1996.

A bluesy voice of an angel.

TTFN
John.
Sorry I only noticed this thread today.. But while I certainly not English , there is a much wider tradition of British Folk Music than you are admitting. Just like there is more to Dance than Morris Troops, . The Scottish traditions, the Northumbria region are very rich. Much of Joan Baezs early songs were of the Scottish collection. Can I suggest that for quality male folk music the "The Young Uns from Teeside " are worth a listen.. I had the pleasure of hearing them when they were a support act and they were truly exceptional.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Bach, Mozart, Janacek, Stravinsky. Sadly, my hearing is not so good (too much piccolo playing?) and my listening pleasure is much reduced so I don't listen very much at all.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Bach, Mozart, Janacek, Stravinsky. Sadly, my hearing is not so good (too much piccolo playing?) and my listening pleasure is much reduced so I don't listen very much at all.
Very much like me, a lifelong taste for a fairly wide range of classical music, both recorded and live. Old age has reduced my hearing ability so that's affected the amount of my listening too.

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
Sorry I only noticed this thread today.. But while I certainly not English , there is a much wider tradition of British Folk Music than you are admitting. Just like there is more to Dance than Morris Troops, . The Scottish traditions, the Northumbria region are very rich. Much of Joan Baezs early songs were of the Scottish collection. Can I suggest that for quality male folk music the "The Young Uns from Teeside " are worth a listen.. I had the pleasure of hearing them when they were a support act and they were truly exceptional.
Of course you are correct Danidi, the reference to English Folk and Rap was largely "Cast as a lure" to get all the English Folkies and rappers spitting feathers and trying to educate me. :) Note, I did say English Folk Music I enjoy Folk music generally (Though not my "Go To" type of music).

I did take the time to search for The Young Uns (A few links would have been appreciated). ;) But I'm still not convinced. I'm sure if people throw enough of any genre at me I'll find something I like. But, (For me at least) English Folk and Rap generally just doesn't float my boat. Folk music from other parts of the world is a different matter. You mentioned Joan Baez for example. Great. Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Utah Phillips and a myriad of others also great.

As I said I'm open to everything if someone can point me at something I might like, that's why I started the thread.

I'll throw a few more into the mix

Dead South.. Bluegrass band. I guess that's somewhere between Country and Folk? Saw them live just before "Lockdown Mk1". This is Boston not Birmingham, UK but same world tour, same show.

Just for laughs.. (I do actually like Heimatdamisch)
Clicked for the song title, Stayed for the cleavage. ;)
Apparently Guns and Roses did a cover of this. :D

Of course the classical composers also mentioned are beyond reproach but strangely I can listen all day to an orchestra live but have trouble listening to much of it on record.

TTFN
John.

Advertisers