funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Thanks Tillson...this should be interesting :D

Lynda :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As a matter of interest, the government's UK national statistic is that just over 27% of cyclists wear helmets.

C

Cyclezee

Thank you Tillson for this courageous act.

I'm wearing one right now to avoid the all the Flecc................sorry about the typo, I meant flack:eek:

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
Pink for Yes
Blue for No

I was wondering if pink is the right colour ?

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
As a matter of interest, the government's UK national statistic is that just over 27% of cyclists wear helmets.
I've never done a survey, scientific or otherwise but in my area I'd reckon it's over 90% wearing them. You only see a non wearer very occasionally.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've never done a survey, scientific or otherwise but in my area I'd reckon it's over 90% wearing them. You only see a non wearer very occasionally.
In my southern area the lycras wear them, part of the image with the wrap around goggles of course, and quite a proportion of commuters wear them.

The utility cyclists and most kids past 10 years old don't, and the impression I have is that most casual local cycling is done without a helmet.

A pity that this poll says regularly wear, I'd rather it have specified always wear, since there are many who do both, cycling with and without.

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

A pity that this poll says regularly wear, I'd rather it have specified always wear, since there are many who do both, cycling with and without.
Time for another poll Tillson, Flecc obviously wants to rig the voting:rolleyes:

I'm sure that he could have been a politician if he wasn't such a decent chap, but don't tell him that I said that;)

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Maybe its time for you to learn how to do it yourself John .......after all, with your website building capabilities it cant be that difficult :)

I would try to learn myself but Im too busy with Flecc on the 'boris' thread :D :D

Lynda :)

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Would a Motor Cycle Helmet be counted in as a cycle helmet in the voting poll? If not i will wait patiently until a new era of fashion,or come back before the 20th August 2012 at 14:04:59.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Time for another poll Tillson, Flecc obviously wants to rig the voting:rolleyes:

I'm sure that he could have been a politician if he wasn't such a decent chap, but don't tell him that I said that;)
I just remember that many do both John. For example one who said he wore a helmet in fact only wore them for commuting, but for all his considerable leisure riding he didn't. He'd answer that he wore one regularly, but that would be clearly misleading. So at present the poll is loaded to a certain answer.

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
I live in Brighton, and I would say its about 50/50 between those that do, and those that don't, but the do's are on the increase IMHO.

ps, not sure what the ratio for helmet use is thou

Last edited:

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I almost always wear one for commuting but often don't for local trips. If the poll asked 'always' and I answered no then it would be misleading as the majority of my bike miles are with a helmet.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Either way it's misleading, neither question form giving a true picture due to very large variation by individual.

I still think "always" is better, since there is no proportional judgement called for, it's either yes or no, so accurate. "Regularly" brings variable judgements into whether the individual's usage is considered regular or not.

What is already obvious though is how unrepresentative this forum is compared to the general cycling scene, in the same way that it's so unrepresentative of the wider e-biking scene.

Last edited:

steve.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2011
Exeter Devon
Many years ago when I used to do a lot of mountain biking I had a bad accident when I went to go through a puddle and over a jump ??? It would have looked great but the puddle turned out to be a ditch and my knuckles touched even though I was still holding the handlebars ??but the best bit was when my face slammed into the flint bank I was supposed to jump over and not just breaking my nose and jaw and eye socket and leaving some very interesting scars?? the consultant said that if I hadn't been wearing my helmet it would have killed me ??? but the other interesting bit was that the helmet was broken in half???.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
It's difficult to word the question to suit everyone. I think that, "regularly wear" is the best way to determine who is a helmet wearer and who is not. Isn't this what we are trying to determine? If the question had said, "always wear" I think that the poll would have shown that hardly anyone wears a helmet. I class myself as a wearer of a cycling helmet, but if the question had asked if I always wear one, then I would have to have answered no because there have been occasions when I have not for a multitude of reasons, including forgetting to put it on. To ask if I regularly wear a helmet gets closer to the truth and best reflects my position on the subject. I suspect that this is the case for the vast majority too.

I've never joined in on the helmet debate, but I don't understand why people don't wear them. Even if they offer a small amount of protection, doesn't it make sense to take up that additional protection.

Accidents and their consequences are rarely just that. They are the result of a series of circumstances, coming together, some of which you can control and others which are completely out of your control. The trick is to reduce the probability of all the circumstances conspiring against you. That is all that you can do. A cycle helmet can only lower the probability, so why not take it up? I don't buy into all the rubbish concerning attitudes changing when wearing / not wearing a helmet, it's the work of people who wear potatoes on their feet instead of shoes.

Accidents can be likened to Swiss cheese. In some instances, all the holes line up and you can see through the cheese, similarly all the circumstances can line up to cause an,"accident." In my opinion, a cycle helmet plugs one of the holes in the cheese.

You can't say, I won't have an accident because I've not had one for X years, therefore I am doing everything correctly and will continue in the same way for ever. It's possible that you have been acting in a very dangerous way for X years and simply got away with it. The holes in the cheese just never lined up. You need to be constantly plugging the holes with whatever you can.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've never joined in on the helmet debate, but I don't understand why people don't wear them.
Why? I just hate wearing hats of any kind. The fact that cycle helmets are so poor at their job just makes it easier to justify not wearing one.

You can't say, I won't have an accident because I've not had one for X years, therefore I am doing everything correctly and will continue in the same way for ever.
I've never said that and have never known of anyone else saying that. What I say is that my judgment not to wear one has been historically 100% justified. The length of time over which that has been justified is relevant, since experience is one of the best ways of plugging the holes in your hypothetical Gruyere.

That's why insurance companies give no claims bonus relating to the length of period without claims, and why they prefer the older age groups to the youngsters. They know from the facts just how valuable long experience is.

Therefore I am also justified in saying that with each passing year of my long driving and riding experience, my likelyhood of having an accident has continuously reduced and is now at an all time low. Since that is de facto lower than the zero harmful accidents previously, my risk rating is miniscule.

Burnsey

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2007
I'm with you Tillson I've cycled for 4 years without an accident...but...it only takes one and I'm wearing my helmet just in case!!