Do you swing both ways?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I know some of you do - ride powered and unpowered bicycles.

I've recently joined that select band with the purchase of a Cannondale mountain bike.

It's taken me a month or two to get to grips with it, but I can now manage - and enjoy - rides of up to 20 miles.

While I don't plan to abandon ebiking, the pleasure of riding an unpowered bike in favourable conditions is greater.

The significantly lower weight makes for a much better cycling experience.

What I can't do on the Cannondale is distance.

While I could build my mileage in time, I have a couple of longer rides coming up in the next few weeks which will need to be assisted.

There is some benefit to my ebiking in that I can now manage most rides in eco on the Bosch system.

Great for battery range, my next longer ride is 90-odd miles from Berwick to Sunderland.

Previously, I would have taken all three of my batteries.

I'm now minded to take two.

Here's a pic of the Cannondale in day ride trekking trim.

Dale lec 1.jpg

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Very nice spec on that Rob. :)

Health permitting, I can't get enough of riding the pedal only mtb. Since borrowing a pedal mtb whilst on hols last year, and realising that I can ride one, I was hooked. I had the KTM Ultra 1964 Limited Edition below ordered up, before even finishing the holiday.

The Ultra 1964 is exceedingly good value for money, and I haven't regretted a second of owning it. Okay the frame size is fractionally too small for me, I've got used to that now.

http://www.ukxcnews.com/first-impression-ktm-ultra-1964-650b/

Frame: KTM Ultra, 6061 Alumium frame with tapered head tube.
Fork: Rockshox Reba RL 27" - 100mm travel. Solo Air, with Motion Control.
Headset: KTM team, drop in, tapered in KTM Orange.
Finishing Kit: KTM Line Handlebar, Stem, Seatpost and special edition saddle
Brakes:Shimano M395 Hydraulic Disc with 180/160mm rotors
Gears: Shimano Deore XT Rear Mech, with Deore Shifters and front mech.
Drivechain: Shimano Deore Chainset, BB51 and HG62 11-36 cassette.
Wheels: Deore M615 hubs on Ambrosion Cross 27.5" Rims, Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.1 Folding Tyres.

Weight: 11.8kg

Riding it gives so much more satisfaction than riding an e-mtb, and nothing beats knowing that getting to the top of a long climb, is all down to me as a rider. On slight inclines and on level roads, It's also so easy to ride and pedal above the legal cut off speed of an pedelec. The lack of weight and drag, really shows.

The weight, or rather lack of it is also a very welcome break, especially if I'm out with the other lads on one of our frequent gorilla rides, where climbing over gates and fences is the norm. The downside of using it on these rides, is that if we do get tackled, it's a damn sight harder to make a quick exit on a pedal bike.

Sadly I know that unless my health gets sorted, it will always be a bike that gets used along side the e-mtb, and that the e-mtb currently looks to be a permanent thing in my life. I'm not knocking the e-mtb, as without it I'd have never got out on a bike, and I'd never have lost the weight, or become as fit as I have without it.

My one and only wish, would be that e-bikes as a whole were more accepted, as it does get wearing when people make negative comments. Something that doesn't happen with a pedal bike.

And on one of the frequent outings for both types of bike, where I ride the pedal mtb, and let someone/anyone else ride the e-mtb.

Then there is my £85.00 Ebay bargain from about a month ago. Sadly I haven't even ridden it yet, as one of my knee's has taken a massive turn for the worse, and I haven't even been able to ride the e-mtb. Ridng on my Swiss alps trip is very much in jeopardy at the moment. :(

59cm frame (just the right size for me)

New hand built wheels.
New Continental Grand Prix 4 Season tyres. (check the price)
New cables.
New hoods.
New bar tape.
New crank set.
New pedals.
New rear cassette.
New drive chain.
New mudguard set.
Upgraded shifters and front and rear derailleurs to the elegant Shimano 600 Arabesque friction series. New jockey wheels fitted.
Saddle changed for a Sans Marco Rolls.

Last edited:

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Until recently, I was all e-bike. My neighbour wanted me to convert his bike, and duly presented me with an ancient MTB. It wasn't suitable, and I said I could source something better from E-bay for £30, given a few weeks. Next day a GT Arrowhead turned up locally. I won it for £30 because it had rust on the handle bars, which turned out to be dirt. After a clean and re-lube it's as good as new. I don't think it had done more than 50 miles.

Anyway, neighbour's now having back problems so didn't want it. I was really pleased with this result, as its a really nice, rigid fork, aluminium bike. I've thrown some City Jets on it and ride it around the village with the boy.

I'd forgotten all about the simple joy an analogue bike can bring!

So yes, I now swing both ways.

Here it is before I ditched the knobblies:

Reactions: 103Alex1 and RobF

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Very nice spec on that Rob. :)

Health permitting, I can't get enough of riding the pedal only mtb. Since borrowing a pedal mtb whilst on hols last year, and realising that I can ride one, I was hooked. I had the KTM Ultra 1964 Limited Edition below ordered up, before even finishing the holiday.

The Ultra 1964 is exceedingly good value for money, and I haven't regretted a second of owning it. Okay the frame size is fractionally too small for me, I've got used to that now.

http://www.ukxcnews.com/first-impression-ktm-ultra-1964-650b/

Frame: KTM Ultra, 6061 Alumium frame with tapered head tube.
Fork: Rockshox Reba RL 27" - 100mm travel. Solo Air, with Motion Control.
Headset: KTM team, drop in, tapered in KTM Orange.
Finishing Kit: KTM Line Handlebar, Stem, Seatpost and special edition saddle
Brakes:Shimano M395 Hydraulic Disc with 180/160mm rotors
Gears: Shimano Deore XT Rear Mech, with Deore Shifters and front mech.
Drivechain: Shimano Deore Chainset, BB51 and HG62 11-36 cassette.
Wheels: Deore M615 hubs on Ambrosion Cross 27.5" Rims, Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.1 Folding Tyres.

Weight: 11.8kg

Riding it gives so much more satisfaction than riding an e-mtb, and nothing beats knowing that getting to the top of a long climb, is all down to me as a rider. On slight inclines and on level roads, It's also so easy to ride and pedal above the legal cut off speed of an pedelec. The lack of weight and drag, really shows.

The weight, or rather lack of it is also a very welcome break, especially if I'm out with the other lads on one of our frequent gorilla rides, where climbing over gates and fences is the norm. The downside of using it on these rides, is that if we do get tackled, it's a damn sight harder to make a quick exit on a pedal bike.

Sadly I know that unless my health gets sorted, it will always be a bike that gets used along side the e-mtb, and that the e-mtb currently looks to be a permanent thing in my life. I'm not knocking the e-mtb, as without it I'd have never got out on a bike, and I'd never have lost the weight, or become as fit as I have without it.

My one and only wish, would be that e-bikes as a whole were more accepted, as it does get wearing when people make negative comments. Something that doesn't happen with a pedal bike.

And on one of the frequent outings for both types of bike, where I ride the pedal mtb, and let someone/anyone else ride the e-mtb.

Then there is my £85.00 Ebay bargain from about a month ago. Sadly I haven't even ridden it yet, as one of my knee's has taken a massive turn for the worse, and I haven't even been able to ride the e-mtb. Ridng on my Swiss alps trip is very much in jeopardy at the moment. :(

59cm frame (just the right size for me)

New hand built wheels.
New Continental Grand Prix 4 Season tyres. (check the price)
New cables.
New hoods.
New bar tape.
New crank set.
New pedals.
New rear cassette.
New drive chain.
New mudguard set.
Upgraded shifters and front and rear derailleurs to the elegant Shimano 600 Arabesque friction series. New jockey wheels fitted.
Saddle changed for a Sans Marco Rolls.

It was a test ride on a KTM Ultra that made me think seriously about an unpowered bike.

I really liked it, but I was away from home at the time and would have to have left it in my hatchback overnight in two hotel car parks.

I enquired about a KTM when I returned, but stock wasn't available locally.

The Cannondale is a similar spec - and price.

I agree entirely with all your comments about riding unpowered.

I'm no gorilla, but I hate manhandling the ebike through cycle path restrictions, particularly if I'm carrying spare batteries.

It's also bordering on embarrassing to have to ask my riding buddies for help if we do need to lift the bikes over something, up some steps, or onto a train.

Riding an ordinary bike is so much more pleasurable - provided conditions are reasonably favourable.

I don't even mind the occasional climb, although anything significant would have me off and pushing.

I also find the negative comments about ebikes wearing.

Part of the pleasure of riding for me is shooting the breeze with fellow cyclists during my frequent stops.

These brief encounters tend to go much better if we are both on push bikes, although some riders are genuinely interested in the ebike.

Like you, I'm not knocking ebikes.

Far from it, they got me back into cycling and got me just enough fitness to make a reasonable attempt at riding unpowered.

I'm also very much looking forward to my longer rides - I couldn't do those without an ebike.

Again like you, I can't see me ever not having an ebike.

There's much fun to be had from cycling in all its forms.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
OK Rob, next time you are over you can ride my Gary Fisher, I'll get it ready for you.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
OK Rob, next time you are over you can ride my Gary Fisher, I'll get it ready for you.
Only if you ride my Cannondale...and you move to somewhere flatter.

Reactions: Croxden

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
The negative comments had seemed to have died a natural death, but the last few months seem to have seen an influx of them. Some of the online comments have been quite aggressive.

Stupid really, as the goal is the same. To get out in the fresh air for some simple, peaceful enjoyment and freedom. Exactly what negative impact that a pedelec has to some of the cycle riders, is beyond me.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The negative comments had seemed to have died a natural death, but the last few months seem to have seen an influx of them. Some of the online comments have been quite aggressive.

Stupid really, as the goal is the same. To get out in the fresh air for some simple, peaceful enjoyment and freedom. Exactly what negative impact that a pedelec has to some of the cycle riders, is beyond me.
Quite, it's genuinely beyond me why a push bike rider should be so upset by someone riding responsibly on an ebike.

As you know, some mountain bikers see ebikes as motorbikes and fear they will damage trails and cause them to be closed.

Happily, very few people hammer around on Stealth Bombers.

flapajack

Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2013
I also ride both. I got the ebike for my commute to work (36 miles return journey) and used it twice max 3 times a week weather permitting and when I am not travelling. I also have a couple if mountain bikes for leisure riding locally and with the family.

This year I picked up a second hand ClaudButler trekking hybrid which is in reasonable nick but is very suitable for the commute. I have been doing a one day analog, one day digital with a one day rest in between so far this year since spring and it has been great. It is also making me feel much fitter although I have to work hard too with the ebike.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Exactly what negative impact that a pedelec has to some of the cycle riders, is beyond me.
You may have seen the posts we sometimes get from a new member asking for an e-bike that will take them up steep hills, at times without pedalling when they feel tired, knees hurting etc.

Clearly they have the wrong idea about e-bikes, thinking of them as powered vehicles with pedalling merely optional, rather than just assisted.

I think the cyclists who are critical of e-bikes probably have the same mistaken notion, seeing them as some sort of motorbike on which the rider is pretending to pedal. Hence the cheating comments.

A hilly ride on one of our moderate power 25 kilo bikes would soon dispel that notion, but many are probably too bigoted to even try.

There is some good insight into the minds of the uneducated (generally mountain bikers) minds on the recent discussion about eBikes on WideOpen magazine (on their facebook page). They've had a Haibike to test for a few weeks, and there is some serious hate going on from their readers who basically think its a motorbike, and has no place on the trails - god knows what they'd say about a dongled one.

They've asked me to write a more detailed piece about eBikes and their potential use and hopefully I can give some of the readers a bit more insight into what pedelecs actually are, and many of the cases on here about them actually being a gateway into non assisted cycling is something I'll be adding to my bit.

4bound

Pedelecer
May 1, 2014
Neston
www.facebook.com
I have a touring bike ( Thorn Raven Sport) which I use for most of my riding - based around Cheshire. We have a caravan in North Wales where I have a choice of riding on reasonable gradients on very fast, busy roads ( eg the A5) or very quiet but steep country lanes. The e-bike makes this much more pleasurable - I don't mind hills on the Thorn, but to be doing them all the time is too much for me at present so the E-bike is perfect. I wouldn't like to have just one bike!

I don't understand why many people say having an e-bike is being lazy - especially those who do less unpowered mileage than I do, yet call me lazy.

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
I go out with the local cycle hub and sky ride for the slower flatter rides on my spec sirrus elite weight 27lbs with rack etc, last week 22 miles but at about 12mph rather than my usual 8mph felt a bit tired after the ride.

but there is so much difference in steering etc in powered and non powered that is until I come to anything resembling a hill, where my ebike wins hands down.

I tend to use my ebike with power off until I hit slopes or my legs ache a bit which they do at 66 years old.
in fact if starting afresh lightish mtb h disks and a ebike kit would be my choice.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

I think the cyclists who are critical of e-bikes probably have the same mistaken notion, seeing them as some sort of motorbike on which the rider is pretending to pedal. Hence the cheating comments.
Never mind non-powered cyclists, there's prople on this forum that think that just because people have a throttle on their bikes. How many times have you heard them going on about electric mopeds? Lets face it some people are just ignorant.

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
Not exactly in keeping with the theme of the thread, however a couple of weeks ago during a break on a ride, I was approached by 2 elderly (though younger than me) men on unassisted bikes. They were both perfectly pleasant and one in particular was keen to know more about my bike - battery, range, etc. While discussing it, out of nowhere the other man said "Of course, it's cheating". We had a good natured chat about that and then the conversation turned back to electric assistance. During this the "cheating" man made some comparison to the battery and electric motor on his golf trolley. He was a bit put out when I started to laugh and accused him of cheating by using a trolley at all, never mind an electric one! We parted on good terms!

Jim

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Yup - definitely keen on having both. Been off abroad for best part of last 2 weeks so finally got out on the 'normal' bike this afternoon for another proper ride. Hills were tougher obviously but it was just low enough geared to see me up the worst of them (that I took on anyway). I will need to be a lot fitter to get up the really nasty ones - something to work up to over the Summer if the weather stays nice like this. Still getting used to the forward vision reduction from drop-handlebars, even on the hoods. Maybe I need to lose my cap, but not in sun like that !

I did while away a couple of hours on the hillside enjoying the sun and watched a group of guys on MTBs gasp and crawl their way up the steep rocky path back to the road. The bike flew up that hill like there was no tomorrow, so I am definitely feeling better about my rather elevated heart-rate at the top. It's hard to get a fix on anything with no real point of reference !

I have also finally managed to overcome my complete aversion to rucksacks and therefore have managed to keep the bike rack-free :cool:. This is what won me over - holds everything, padded back protector, big padded velcro waist strap with extra clip, and a chest click-strap too. Stayed put over all the bumps and whilst I still didn't like having it on, it was actually tolerable and didn't slide off one shoulder or dig in like almost all the others I have tried :

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/evoc-fr-trail-20l-backpack-2015/rp-prod95056?gs=1&gclid=CMHemvyNuMYCFQQUwwodYDsChw&gclsrc=aw.ds

Very happy - start of getting fitter again hopefully :)

Reactions: tillson and EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Beautiful bike. :)

I used to also have an aversion to back packs, but you soon get used to them. My latest one being a CamelbaK Mule NV. I now loathe anything on the bike, and with real reluctance, I might be adding a very small saddle bag for the Swiss trip.

Reactions: 103Alex1

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
I've held out on mudguards too - this will last until my first trip home with a mudstreak up my back ;).