Do you think an ebike could compete in the Scottish six day trials?

rower

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2018
Berks and Bucks
I caught an episode of the Ross noble show about the Scottish six day trials the other night, and wondered if a top of the line ebike could realistically compete in the event.

You can get details about the competition from here http://www.ssdt.org but the long and short is that it's a nearly week long trials biking competition over nasty Scottish cross country terrain, featuring rock climbs, big traverses and more.

I'm guessing a top of the line full susser ebike would be the only hope but maybe a hard tail could handle it? Appreciate this might be seen as an emtb thread but this is a broader chat about ebike technology including battery endurance, engine power and such - maybe a manufacturer would sponsor a biker and support team as a publicity stunt?

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
Possibly it could but having been tangled up in it annually for the last 10 years, I wouldn't want to do it on an e-bike (although it is for motorcycles only). The noise and fumes make it highly unpleasant, every layby is blocked with service vehicles and the routes can be packed solid.

Those on bikes tend to pull in and let the participants pass and I think they have the right idea, or better still avoid their route altogether.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

There are already electric trials bikes that can do the job much better than a bicycle.

Did you watch pedal bike trials riding? You can see it on Youtube. Their bikes are designed differently to an MTB. It wouldn't be much of a problem to convert one of them to electric.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

mjd1499

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 20, 2017
Ferndown
I caught an episode of the Ross noble show about the Scottish six day trials the other night, and wondered if a top of the line ebike could realistically compete in the event.

You can get details about the competition from here http://www.ssdt.org but the long and short is that it's a nearly week long trials biking competition over nasty Scottish cross country terrain, featuring rock climbs, big traverses and more.

I'm guessing a top of the line full susser ebike would be the only hope but maybe a hard tail could handle it? Appreciate this might be seen as an emtb thread but this is a broader chat about ebike technology including battery endurance, engine power and such - maybe a manufacturer would sponsor a biker and support team as a publicity stunt?
Not a chance, if you haven’t already, look on YouTube, what they do on these very particular bikes is astonishing, I’m a biker and I can’t even imagine getting close to the skill level required. And they’re all road legal bikes, so ignore any guff from the naysayers...

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk