Do you think that e-bikes have a role to play in sustainable transport in the UK?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, without question.

For this to become widespread there's a need to overcome the public perception of the danger of cycling, real and imagined.

Properly separated cycleways are an important means of doing that, but they need to have cycle priority at junctions as in the low countries. What we have at present all too often is disjointed sections with confined and dangerous crossing points at roundabouts and crossroads having motor vehicle priority, making for very slow and risky journeys.

Last edited:

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
Yes, absolutely. If electricity supply can be made greener then all the more so, but anything which reduces the use of cars almost has to be good. I would like to see a greater emphasis placed upon recycling bikes and batteries at the end of their lives and also the use of recycled materials in new bikes. The car industry is getting better at this.

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
It could be.

Yes, But only if safe cycle routes are improved, extended, joined up and clearly signposted.

Even the good people at Sustrans admit there is no one single map that will help in trying to figure out exactly where the routes are.

Personally, I use a combination of local cycle route information together with Google maps when planning rides.

I have absolutely no intention of being robbed of my retirement by some crazy car, van or lorry driver. Complete segregation is needed.

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
I definitely think electric bikes have a role to play in in sustainable transport in the uk.
What is badly needed is a signifiacant investment in safe cycling routes in my opinion.I think if you asked people what was stopping them investing in an electric bike /conventional bike, the answer would be safety on the roads.

rock_hopper

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 21, 2007
I think with all the recent talk on cycling safety there might be more of a push with regards training (mandatory cycling proficiency !) and that 'might' encourage more people to try cycling again/for the first time.

Any bike can have a significant role but the cost of the more reliable e-bikes will put many off from that option. The middle ground between cheap and expensive is where the bulk buyers might fit so new/improved models in the that area will be a key factor in how things progress.

Conal

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2007
Higher fuel prices = more motive to change

I think our culture is a man's home is his castle and his car is an extension of that. Most of us travel into work and back by car and have not been tempted by car sharing schemes because we value our freedom too much and want to keep the flexability having a car brings. Our weather is not conducive to cycling for much of the year and most city roads and car drivers are not cyclist friendly.
However car drivers are being hit hard in the pocket, and it will get worse. I can see a time in the not so distant future where we will look back and tell our grandchildren that each person owned a car. Then, when the choice is public transport, a motorbike or scooter, or a pushbike, we might see the electric bike as a popular choice of transport.

moon

Pedelecer
May 24, 2008
Yes but only when bicycles are given equal priority on the streets...its a jungle out there right now!

JohnofCambridge

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2007
Stapleford, Cambridge
Definitely, A recent opening of a sustrans track has made a lot of difference around here and more cycle ways will increase convenience and separate away cars.

It is also a good congestion charge beater. When Cambridge sorts out its consultation arrangements for the proposed congestion charge - I intend to make some noise about how I swopped from a car to bikes and why we need more infrastructure to persuade others too.

I also feel an example of an executive who can demonstrate that you can be presentable and get about to local meetings with an electric bike

essexman

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2007
cb11
Yes. Hugely. Even the dutch think so, where ebike sales are canniblaisng conventional bikes.

I partly blame the UK ebike shops AND the UK bike shops. I think they need to be much more direct in their sales and in thsi day and age spell out the true costs of not cycling.

If i stood with a big sign saying.
Save £850 per year on parking alone (plus potentially £1000s more if you only use your car to drive here) a laptop and a demo ebike in every UK rail station that is on a UK commuter line (particularly the London lines) i could shift a lot of ebikes in a week per station. I've often thought an commision based sales model where anyone could apply to be an advocate would help shift a lot of bikes. There must be examples from other businesses.

I've got people cycling by sitting down with pen and paper and showing them how much it costs to drive to the station and park for 2 years.

Jack.Eagle

Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2008
Summary so far

To summaries what has been said so far:

-yes if cycle infrastructure improves
-more cycle training is needed
-green electricity will help e-bikes become a lot more sustainable
-recycling of batteries is important
-petrol prices will help push people to more sustainable forms of transport
-people need to be made aware of the money savings that using an e-bike can play
-congestion will mean that more people will use e-bikes

many thanks for all the comments and I look forward to hearing more.

cheers

Jack

essexman

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2007
cb11
Just a comment on the safety issue. It is a barrier, but one that i've found has never stopped anyone i know, because its a 'false barrier' not a real one.

I've convinced people to cycle by demonstrating how expesnive it is to NOT cycle.

I've also convinced people that it is far more dangerous NOT to cycle. The stats bear this out.

Ignorance is a big barrier. Education is the key.

halfmedley

Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2007
Only a very minor part. Two wheeled transport will never appeal to the majority: too dangerous (e.g. bad drivers, icy roads); too dirty (e.g. chains coming off, punctures); poor weather (not Britain's strong point); poor facilities (eg lack of showers, changing rooms at the workplace); too inflexible (a car can transport multiple combinations of people and stuff, a bike can't); limited range.

Government budget should be entirely focussed on sorting out public transport; the ebike business should be a purely commercial enterprise.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
I think so. We need to be able to provide a safe, reliable, cost effective and resource friendly means of transport that still give the individual their 'freedom' to travel whenever and wherever that wish too and encourages a healthy lifestyle.

Public transport cannot achieve this, and neither can the motor industry.

I think the government should do its job and govern the direction fo the country, and this is the best direction that we can go in.

John

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
I reckon as Peak Oil keeps driving fuel prices higher and higher in years to come there'll be massive demand for electric bikes, just on the basis of cost, never mind the environmental benefits.
That presents a new challenge in that currently nearly all bikes are produced in Asia and then shipped across to the UK!

Saddlesore

Pedelecer
May 18, 2008
The answer to the question is a most definite yes.

Since becoming an e-biker I have become quite enthusiastic about the appeal of this form of sustainable transport having supported Sustrans for years.

In fact I would broaden the question in regard to all types of electric transport as bikes will always have a limited appeal and my limited experience of this mode of power would encourage me to try electric cars if they could be built in sufficient numbers to benefit from scale of production as they are far too expensive to consider at present.

If the Government bites the bullet and opts for a rolling programme of Nuclear Power Stations in addition to the alternative technologies being employed so that we are self sufficient in energy ( electrical) demand then I see an excellent future for all types of electrical transport - bikes, cars, lorries, trains.

Northern Irelander

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2009
i have to agree with pretty much all the above:

Poor cycle infrastructure
Car culture
The Weather/ seasonal summer cycling

Stigma - what I mean is the Thatcher gov from the early 80's. Thatcher stated that if you are a man over the age of 26 and still take the bus to work, then you are a failure! (in other words, you should have it 'made' and driving an exec motor by that stage in your life). You've probably seen the film '40 yr old virg¡n'..........again public perception that bikes are for sad losers.

I'm a petrol head and would say cycling is the best form of transport.

Expense - e parts need to come way down in price, £250 for a battery that only charges a limited no. of times isn't value for money!

Current cycle shop attitudes - i asked many of the leading NI cycle shops, would they be interested in selling me an e kit?
NO! Not enough money making in it for them, plus one Giant outlet manager said 'I'm a cycle mechanic, not an electronic one'.........can someone tell me what's wrong with that statement!

Here's one for you - certain Gov depts concerned with environment, don't even have a cycle to work scheme! Something to do with it being too complicated with the salaries branch.

Advertisers