Do you want to pay for support?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
pay peanuts gets monkeys.
Is it still true when you have broadband internet?

C

Cyclezee

How about free support from experts? You have it already right here on the forum!

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
that's the reason why I asked. I think there is more expertise to be found in this forum than 100 bikeshops.
There isn't a mechanism to reward good contributors for the use of their brains.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
that's the reason why I asked. I think there is more expertise to be found in this forum than 100 bikeshops.
There isn't a mechanism to reward good contributors for the use of their brains.
Self rewarding I think, most helpers probably enjoying all aspects of the subject.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Then one of the natural questions can be: many companies explain part of the cost of the bike is to cover for support. Given that most of us have been tinkering with bikes for years, do we need that much support from the bike dealer? should we buy our bike on the internet and save some dosh?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Then one of the natural questions can be: many companies explain part of the cost of the bike is to cover for support. Given that most of us have been tinkering with bikes for years, do we need that much support from the bike dealer? should we buy our bike on the internet and save some dosh?
For those who are capable of repairs and/or use a forum like this and can implement the advice given, buying online is a very good option, though ongoing availablilty of batteries and spares can be important in some cases.

Many though are not in any way mechanically minded and for them the availability of support and a competent shop can be vital. The market serves us quite well now in these respects. For example, The Kalkhoff and Raleigh e-bikes are near clones from the manufacturer Derby Cycles in Germany. The Kalkhoffs are sold online and the Raleighs at slightly higher prices through a network of bike shops.