Dodgy Ebay Listing

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Given seller has 0 feedback. It looks very suspicious. Time to let plod know?

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
The seller has a zero rating
So he is out to scam someone with your photos

I really think you should report to eBay

Reactions: D8ve

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
I notice it is still on, also he gives an email addy as wants contact off ebay ~ probably offer to do a deal to 'save' fees.

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Just wondering how could he scam someone if people is interested the bike and view them in person before paying?

Really tempted to view the bike to see what he is up to :D

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Email and he will do a deal if you pay by bank transfer as he would with all email replies.
After all 3 lots of £500 is not a bad profit for two hours of scam work

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
It's frustrating that the police haven't got their act together re electronic crime - someone at my university reported some racist hate speech made on Twitter and the police actually sent a squad car to their house to get a screenprint (!)

So until they do I think just filing an http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/ report, and emailing ebay, is the most you can do - the chances are the fraud won't succeed at all anyway, the ebike community are quite on the ball.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I had a similar thing happen to me last year, when someone listed an item using my library photos. This was on the American Ebay site, and the company did nothing to pull the advert. I also contacted the seller, and was told in reply, that if I didn't want my photos to be used, then I shouldn't have posted them.
I then emailed a copy of the conversation to police in the US, and still nothing was done.
No wonder these people do it, when they know they that can easily and blatantly get away with it.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
The problem with fraud is that it takes alot of effort to solve. Despite pin numbers card fraud is still high (and there are devices to overide the system so it does not matter if the wrong number is entered). Cannot see anything changing anytime soon. We had one instance where the address was known as well as the person but there was little interest. Several businesses lost money. If I buy online for a large amount I use a credit card as you get some additional cover.

Reactions: jonathan75
C

Cyclezee

The 'borrowing' of photos happens everywhere and I have seen my photos used many times.

At one time I did start to watermark them.

I don't see problem if someone using stock photos when selling something that is brand new, but if the item is used or unique it can give the impression that it is in mint condition when in reality it is not.

I guess it comes down to buyer beware.

Reactions: Electrifying Cycles

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
This looks a pretty obvious scam to me.

I've reported a dodgy bike listing before, but it stayed listed and I was never contacted by ebay.:(

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Reported again to ebay and now to gumtree.

I thought about emailing or phoning him to ask him why he is selling my bike, but probably not a good idea.

Jerry

D

Deleted member 4366

I rang him to ask him about the batery, but just got answer service. No call back.

D

Deleted member 4366

Interestingly, the Gumtree advert says Bristol and the Ebay one London.

C

Cyclezee

Looks like the power of the forum has worked, the bike has gone from eBay although it is still current on Gumtree.

Reactions: jerrysimon

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Gone from gumtree now as well. Interestingly although ebay removed the listing I had an email back from gumtree, telling me they do not get involved and it was up to me as a user to contact the seller.

I replied to say I was not a user and don't ever plan to be given their response!

Regards

Jerry