Does getting an e-bike mean you eventually give up "conventional" bikes??

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
I love my KTM Macina Lycan....but it's very much for off road and I still want to continue road cycling...the snow and ice has gone for now, and tonight went for a first "conventional" ride of 2019, an 18 miler in the dark on my road converted rigid MTB winter hack, in a balmy 3c with 9 miles out into a stiff wind....I was jiggered when I got back....and that was a relatively level/undulating loop, and made me wonder about the 27 miles/875m ascent off road jaunt I did in January on the KTM which left me feeling much less fatigued!!!
Will I eventually phase out the conventional bike or convert one to electric?! Has this happened to anybody on here?? I'd like to do the road biking as a pure workout to increase fitness but use the KTM to go for blasts off road which have the emphasis on fun and enjoyment, not some gruelling workout like mountain biking used to be....!!!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
dongle ;)

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
EMBN were talking out of their ar5es about a Speedbox 2...think they were talking about the badass dongle??
I quite like road cycling though but don't get the "climbing" obsession...
I also like the look of the Focus Paralane "squared" which is a drop bar true road e-bike at 12.5kg...and taking out the battery it's 9.5kg and can be ridden like this(bloody lighter than any of my Carrera road bikes!)....climbing on this would be ok lol

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i can hit over 30mph with my bike and avg 23mph easy not seen anyone on a road bike i could not over take on a fs mtb ;)

the price you pay is half the range is about what i get with a 500w batt.

Reactions: Barrio Barranco

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have a gravel push bike and have done an 80 mile route and returned home knackered, I been out a couple more times but it has all but remained sat unused awaiting some leccy that may happen in the next few weeks when it arrives.
Other wise it's leccy push bike or none.

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
Been caught out without power a few times including a good few miles from home with a child trailer attached. Managed fine, but was glad to have the power back afterwards. I have no desire to go back to normal cycling, if anything I want more power. So I've just done a shunt mod and the torque has improved noticeably

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
At 64 years old I started ebiking in 2013 and owned an emtb and an unpowered lightweight roadbike . After the initial e-bike novelty wore off I used them both more or less equally. However, Now I am 70 I only own 2 bikes, 1 x E-Road and 1x E-Hybrid, and to be honest I ocasionally sense a mild desire to try an unpowered road bike for the windless warm evenings on flat routes, but not enough to go out and buy one, but when I had one I found that the longer e-bike rides definately improved my fitness levels enabling faster and longer rides on the normal bike.
Since 2013 I have had 7 bikes owning up to 3 at any one time and found that the new bike always feels like the best thing ever and is ridden exclusively until one of the others re inserts itself into my head, and then I swap over and have another favourite for a few weeks. The thing I like about a lightweigh unpowered bike is the speed.. My personal best on a fast road segment on the unpowered bike has remained unequalled by me on my e-bikes for 4 years.
Perhaps I should buy another.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
We've electrified our tandem, bought a 2nd hand Raleigh Motus solo, and kept one non-electric solo (old Giant hybrid) for when we both go out but not together. The nice Giant does feel a little like treacle for the first mile or so, and a lot more tiring on hills, but I'm glad we have kept it and still enjoy short rides on it.

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
My convention road bike fits comfortably in the hack car, whereas the E-bike is a bit of a struggle and only fits in the SUV.
Plus, if going where it needs leaving for longer than a "coffee stop", one would be a lot less distressing to lose than the other, so the conventional bike still gets a lot of use.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I was a keen and strong cyclist and only bought an e-bike originally to help with pulling a large heavily loaded trailer.

But despite that restricted e-bike use, it undermined my fitness and I found myself increasingly using the e-bike.

Only three years later I'd completely abandoned unpowered cycling due to the loss of enough fitness in my hilly area, and I owned three e-bikes.

So yes, e-biking destroyed my unpowered cycling. However I was in my late sixties then so that would have been an influence.

lyme

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Staffordshire
I am a road club cyclist who in the spring, summer and autumn (warmer weather and older age) cycle anything from 100/150 miles a week with some 70/100 miles rides, Sportives and Audaxes thrown in for good measure. I ride a Van Nicholas titanium road bike amongst others but last year my wife purchased an ebike for when we go away in our motorhome and I converted a new Carrera Subway 2 with a Yose Power rear wheel kit and really enjoyed the ebike experience and I think the bug has bitten.

I am now looking to build a full suspension C/D mountain bike as I enjoy the challenge to get something to work as others do on the forum as well but at the moment trying to learn as much as I can. Just built my first rear wheel converting my Yose hub motor from 700C to 650B and all appears fine with it so far.

Don't think I will give up with my road cycling yet but you never know.

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I just got back from my first trike ride (un-powered) since September. I am out of shape... My problems are the first km and the last km, they have brutal slopes (think >13%) so on the way out I am not warmed up and on the way home I am knackered. At 64 this year I think that I am entitled to a motor for those 2 km of a 30 km ride :)

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I was a keen and strong cyclist and only bought an e-bike originally to help with pulling a large heavily loaded trailer.

But despite that restricted e-bike use, it undermined my fitness and I found myself increasingly using the e-bike.

Only three years later I'd completely abandoned unpowered cycling due to the loss of enough fitness in my hilly area, and I owned three e-bikes.

So yes, e-biking destroyed my unpowered cycling. However I was in my late sixties then so that would have been an influence.
Good point about age. I was in my early 60's but from a non cycling/not exercising background so experienced a massive gain in cycling fitness by using an ebike which more that offset any age decline. But I will be 70 this year and my general fitness decline is becoming apparent.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Wait 'til you're my 83!

Then you'll know all about loss of fitness (he said just after returning from a one hour walk).
So that was 1/2 mile???

... I'm certainly finding walking and cycling falling off at 72