does the Bosch system have walk assist?

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
Considering a Carrera Crossfuse (because of problems with my Carrera Crossfire), but in my first 300 miles I have used the walk assist feature of the Crossfire quite often and can't see whether the Bosch system on the Crossfuse has walk assist. Also the integrated kickstand of the Crossfire is brilliant, and whilst the Crossfuse doesn't have one, can one be fitted in the same place?
Thanks
Mike

Reactions: LeighPing

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Yes but it’s not brilliant
It depends what your looking for out of it
It’s definitely great for oiling the chain thou :)

• Informative

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
I guess I shouldn't have asked two questions in one post ;) Are you referring to the stand or the walk assist FR?
Mike

• Agree

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
I guess I shouldn't have asked two questions in one post ;) Are you referring to the stand or the walk assist FR?
Mike
Hi
My bad as well
I was talking about the walk assist:)

Reactions: MikeS

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Bosch has walk assist. In my opinion its a useless function. .. you have to keep a finger pressed on the button, and that is fatiguing after 10 minutes, and the pedals rotate, ready to nip ones heels....

• Agree
Reactions: Artstu

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
Interesting - on the Crossfire that was also the case at first, but often I found that pressing and releasing also worked for the walk assist - however I suspect that this was a fault. My Crossfire will also freewheel for several hundred yards with the power supposedly switched off after pedalling in tour mode. (I don't think the pedals rotate in walk assist but that's probably easier to implement with a hub drive)
Mike

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
When you really must walk, for whatever reasons (mud, steep gradients, broken chain, puncture, chatting to a person on foot..), then walk mode can be a very useful function. Much better than having 'no walk' mode. Which for some Americans is the case, as that function is inactive on their Bosch bikes. If your finger hurts then use a bulldog clip. :)

Reactions: MikeS

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
How it works seems to vary between SW versions and displays.

On my MTB Intuvia I had to hold little walk button down all time, not easy. On wifes intuvia this button activitated walk mode but to make it walk push Up or Down button, problem was it dropped out of walk mode after 5 sec if not used.

Its different again with purion display.

• Informative

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
Tried it on a Crossfuse today and yes it does work (press the walk button then release it then hold the + button). Pressing any other button or no button and after 5 seconds it reverts to normal mode.
To be honest I quite liked it. It was easier to hold the + button down with your thumb than it is to hold the walk button on the Crossfire (which is underneath). However, it seemed to be one walking speed only and a little bit fast if you were trying to struggle up a hill and through one of those horse stile things. Can't remember whether the pedals were turning but I didn't get any damaged shins so probably not. Halfords techie said that on the early ones the pedals turned. (but the other salesperson told me that when you stop pedalling it recharged the battery and measured the frame and told me it was a 20" when it was a 21") :rolleyes:
Mike

• Informative

Phillip Donnelly

Just Joined
Dec 3, 2017
Dublin
Could I go back to the kickstand questions?
Has anyone found a kickstand for the Crossfuse? I've been to two Halfords stores and tried their online customer service but no joy from any of them. They said in another couple of months they might be able to source something that would fit around the chain-stay but I'm worried it might crimp the brake cable. I'm pretty sure the there are holes designed for a kickstand at the back of the bike but I can't get my hands on one or even confirm if one exists. How can you sell a bike and not sell the parts that go with it?
A bit frustrating, to be honest, but otherwise it's an amazing bike. I had the Crossfire beforehand but go so sick of battery problems that I upgraded.

Could I go back to the kickstand questions?
Has anyone found a kickstand for the Crossfuse? I've been to two Halfords stores and tried their online customer service but no joy from any of them. They said in another couple of months they might be able to source something that would fit around the chain-stay but I'm worried it might crimp the brake cable. I'm pretty sure the there are holes designed for a kickstand at the back of the bike but I can't get my hands on one or even confirm if one exists. How can you sell a bike and not sell the parts that go with it?
A bit frustrating, to be honest, but otherwise it's an amazing bike. I had the Crossfire beforehand but go so sick of battery problems that I upgraded.
Measure the distance between the holes. We work with a brand called Ursus and they make kickstands for loads of bike brands, so I'm sure there will be something available. There are only a few standards.

http://www.flidistribution.co.uk/ursus-kickstands

Available from all good bike shops.

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
At first my Halfords insisted it was the same stand that was on the Crossfire so they simply transferred it over when I traded up. But I claimed it was too long and it eventually broke at which point I quoted this forum and their guy did some searching on their system. Eventually he said I was right and it was a different part number from the Crossfire. He kindly ordered me it at no charge (since they had been wrong). It certainly looks a meatier bit of kit. I think t's this one but its mainly silver coloured.

Mike

• Informative
Reactions: Ojani and LeighPing

Phillip Donnelly

Just Joined
Dec 3, 2017
Dublin
At first my Halfords insisted it was the same stand that was on the Crossfire so they simply transferred it over when I traded up. But I claimed it was too long and it eventually broke at which point I quoted this forum and their guy did some searching on their system. Eventually he said I was right and it was a different part number from the Crossfire. He kindly ordered me it at no charge (since they had been wrong). It certainly looks a meatier bit of kit. I think t's this one but its mainly silver coloured.

Mike
Thanks Mike
Does that stand fit in the middle of the chain-stay or is it attached to those holes at the end of the chainstay--the holes that are about 4cm apart?
I wish my Halfords guys were as accommodating as yours. Halfords in Ireland just keep telling me to come back at the end of August and they might be able to source something for the middle of the chainstay, but my local bike store says that would damage the brake cable and insists that a purpose built stand is necessary--something that would fit the holes at the back of the chainstay but also not damage the hydraulic brakes -- something like this https://www.rosebikes.com/pletscher-comp-40-flex-rear-mount-kickstand-2656042, but apparently not like this because when I ordered it on Amazon he said it couldn't be fitted to the Crossfuse.
I don't suppose you know how to source the stand you supplied an image to. The image you supplied links to e-bikeshop but they will only sell to people who bought their bike with them.
Apologies if I'm missing something really obvious!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
I'm pretty sure it's a Pletscher and if you look down this page it's the Comp40 zoom.
https://www.pletscher.ch/index.php/en/products-en/kickstands-en/rear-kickstands-en
As reported on this forum it comes with the wrong size bolts. I warned Halfords of this and they found and fitted some correct sized bolts.
I should add that they took my bike out the back and it only re-emerged after about an hour. However they told me this was because they had great difficulty removing the old stand's bolts which had been rounded off. I'm sure they hadn't been by the way.
I am a bit surprised to see that the new stand is rated as quite weak - it looks stronger than the old one.
It certainly doesn't interfere with the brake and it is fitted at the back alongside the rear axle
Mike
PS I picked up from the Halfords guy that he was ordering it through their 'marketplace' - which functions a bit like amazon in that indpenednet sellers can sell through Halfords who collect payments and receive the item (Halfords fitted it for free for me as well)

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
However, it seemed to be one walking speed only and a little bit fast if you were trying to struggle up a hill and through one of those horse stile things.
Did you try walk assist in a lower gear, to slow the bike down? In the manual is says the following :-
"The speed of this function depends upon the selected gear and can reach a maximum of 3.7 mph. The lower the selected gear the lower the speed of the walk assist function."

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
Did you try walk assist in a lower gear, to slow the bike down? In the manual is says the following :-
"The speed of this function depends upon the selected gear and can reach a maximum of 3.7 mph. The lower the selected gear the lower the speed of the walk assist function."
Yes I discovered this later
Mike