does your employer help you?

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
i was speaking to a fellow worker recently who is moving to a different company and one of the benefits are that they give a financial reward if you cycle to work.
some of the benefits i have heard about from other employers are ; extra time for changing showering
extra time for journeys
cycle to work scheme
i have been cycling to work for nearly 10 years and haven,t even thought about asking for any special consideration and am happy to do it for the benefits it gives me , but recently when hearing about other company benefits i feel that i should approach mine and ask.
i work for a large company that doesn.t provide any of the above and only one shower for those of us that do cycle . not even a cycle to work scheme.or secure covered bike shed
my employer prides itself on being environmentaly friendly but hasn,t even considered cyclists.
just wondered if any body has approached their employer with similar issues and what response they got.?
also what avenue is it best to go down?

paul b

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2014
It helps me clock an extra 30 minutes work per day but as i am on contracted ours i am not gaining but looks better for me. Also using the work shower saves the pennys lol every little helps i suppose

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
work shower does save a bit of cash but i,m amazed at the attitude of employers which seems to vary from very helpful and encouraging to non existant

Reactions: paul b

paul b

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2014
work shower does save a bit of cash but i,m amazed at the attitude of employers which seems to vary from very helpful and encouraging to non existant
The trouble is most of the employers couldnt give two hoots whether you come in on a bike or car all their bothered about is if the work is done they should have to help with showers and bike security

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
agree with you there Paul.
i would like to have the cycle to work scheme but my employer doesn,t do it.
i,m wondering who you approach to try and get this started?

paul b

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2014
My work didnt want to bother until we were bought out by a bigger company that had a cycle scheme in place. If you spoke to one of the cycle to work scheme agents yourself they should give you details to show your employer how to set it up for you

Julian in Frimley

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 6, 2014
Being a small regional office in the UK and myself being the only one who can/will cycle in then we don't currently have a scheme, however, if anyone joins and requires this it will be set up - no problem. As we work in a shared office I am also allowed to put my bike in the lift and take it up to my office. Our main HQ in Munich is very forward thinking and has just moved to a new location and has arranged a dedicated internal Bike garage room, shower room + changing room specially for the company cyclists.

Reactions: SRS

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
sounds like a sensible and logical emloyer Julian.
it doesn,t take much on behalf of an employer to help cyclists and if only they realised that if more of their employees cycled then there are benefits to them ,the company , also
for example happier and healthier staff [less sick days] and less parking spaces required . not to mention the pr issues they can advertise when promoting themselves

Dubster

Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2012
North Yorkshire
The trouble is most of the employers couldnt give two hoots whether you come in on a bike or car all their bothered about is if the work is done they should have to help with showers and bike security
I have a number of small offices in Yorkshire, we are not a high-profit firm. Do you really think that I should have to spend thousands providing changing rooms/showers and secure bike parking? Our offices are in city and town centre locations, we have no car parks never mind spare land to build a secure bike shelter.

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
thanks dubster.
from your situation then ,no, i would not expect you to provide the things you have mentioned
it,s good to hear from an employers point of view.
but their are employers that can provide the things that you mention an choose not to.
i have discovered that some large companies will not provide the cycle to work scheme whilst some small ones will
also learned that some employers in city centre locations with no car parking allow employees to bring their bikes into the building which solves two problems at the same time.

Advertisers