Dogs on Public Footpaths

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
Can a local authority ban dogs from a public footpath and issue a fixed penalty notice to the owner if they fail to comply?

There is a public footpath close to my house which has existed for over 150 years (oldest map I can find). It’s likely that it has existed since the 16th century and once lead to a monastery. I’ve used this footpath since I was a child.

Last night, I noticed that an official looking sign had appeared carrying the council’s logo stating that all dogs are banned from the path at all times. It goes on to say that anyone contravening thenotice will be liable to receive a fixed penalty fine.

Before I contact the council to discuss, I’d like to be sure of the law. My gut feeling is they can’t ban a dog from a public right of way such as a designated footpath. This seems to be backed up by what I’ve read on The Rambler’s Association website.

Any knowledge you can share would be appreciated.

Cheers.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i would do a foi request first asking what law they are using to enforce this rule as i cant see anything.

it is a bit like them twats trying to fine you for throwing a fag paper on the floor but if you refuse to give ur details over name address then they cant issue a fine.

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing and flecc

Advertisers