doh..

wibble

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2008
I was pondering over what to do about the gearing on my Wisper and while idly looking down at the rear sprocket I noticed that it wasn't in 7th gear despite what the dial on the gear shifter says. Doh!. It turns out the 6th and 7th gears aren't being used at all. and it's probably been this way since day one!.

I'm telling you guys this because I've seen quite a few people complain that the gearing on the wisper is a little high. Well just maybe your gears aren't correctly set. Go look! :)

Anyway, I've not had time to adjust them yet. So I'm just hoping that they're actually reachable!. I'll let you know if they're not..

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West
I was pondering over what to do about the gearing on my Wisper and while idly looking down at the rear sprocket I noticed that it wasn't in 7th gear despite what the dial on the gear shifter says. Doh!. It turns out the 6th and 7th gears aren't being used at all. and it's probably been this way since day one!.

I'm telling you guys this because I've seen quite a few people complain that the gearing on the wisper is a little high. Well just maybe your gears aren't correctly set. Go look! :)

Anyway, I've not had time to adjust them yet. So I'm just hoping that they're actually reachable!. I'll let you know if they're not..
Not sure if you mean the low gear, (in inches, ie., the larger sprockets), as you mention it feels 'a little high' (high to me, means the smaller sprockets).

If it's the larger sprockets, (low gears) that can't be reached, then it's a simple case of adjusting the L screw limit adjuster, (see image below).

If it's the last two smaller sprockets that can't be reached then it's the H screw limit adjuster that needs to be adjusted.

On your derailleur the two limit screws usually have L and H stamped next to them as appropriate.

This might be clearer:

Last edited:

wibble

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2008
Thanks, Danny. I admit, I wasn't really sure which term to use - "high gearing" or "low gearing".. I get confused.. :eek:

But yeah, it's the two smaller sprockets that can't be reached and so it meant I was running out of gears when going downhill. Which then meant either looking like an idiot and pedaling like crazy or just free wheeling down the hill slowly while trying to look casual by admiring the sheep (which probably just made me look like a sheep lover or something). Not cool either way.

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West
In that case it's the 'H' screw limit adjuster.

Must admit I naturally want to refer to my lowest gear as the 'high gear' probably due to the large size of the sprocket, but the British Penny farthing Ordinary 'inches' still rules internationally so I have to laboriously remind myself it's the low (inch) gear.

- Although our Continental friends, not content with everyone quoting kilometers instead of miles, are intent on persuading us to use their gear development in metres system and have us talking for instance of 5.9 metres instead of a 74 inch gear, (ie., 40 x 14 for a 26" wheel).

Last edited:

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West
Yes, perhaps a routing problem that resulted in over-tight cables, as it's hard to believe the Wisper people have misaligned basic gear set-up on so many owners bikes, by inaccurate adjustment of the limit screws.

Really, the limit adjuster screws hardly ever need touching apart from initial set-up, replacing the freewheel, or more commonly after a rear puncture and refitting the wheel having thrown the previous set up out of sync.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Yes, perhaps a routing problem that resulted in over-tight cables, as it's hard to believe the Wisper people have misaligned basic gear set-up on so many owners bikes, by inaccurate adjustment of the limit screws.

Really, the limit adjuster screws hardly ever need touching apart from initial set-up, replacing the freewheel, or more commonly after a rear puncture and refitting the wheel having thrown the previous set up out of sync.
No routing problem on mine, just the cable adjuster on the rear mech requiring a couple of turns. If it's a couple of gears out then it may be a 30 second fix, my stops were spot on when it arrived.

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West
Ahh I see - Wibble didn't make any mention of a noisy cacophony of chain rattling against the sprockets when trying to change gears; which is what you'd more than likely hear when trying to access them if the cable adjuster was out.

Hope Wibble's read your post and tries the cable adjuster first then, before disturbing the limits of chain travel via the H and L screws.

wibble

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2008
yep, cable adjuster was the first thing I tried but unfortunately it's at its limit.

I've also noticed that there's only a single "stop" and I'm assuming that it'll be for the high side. If so, then I guess I'll just have to loosen the cable tension directly by releasing the grip at the end.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
yep, cable adjuster was the first thing I tried but unfortunately it's at its limit.

I've also noticed that there's only a single "stop" and I'm assuming that it'll be for the high side. If so, then I guess I'll just have to loosen the cable tension directly by releasing the grip at the end.
The Wisper has 2, I've adjusted mine. Are you sure you're looking at the right bit?

wibble

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2008
The Wisper has 2, I've adjusted mine. Are you sure you're looking at the right bit?
Well I only see a single screw in the place shown in the above pictures that Danny posted. There's also the plastic adjuster.

Maybe I got a screw loose and it fell out?

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Well I only see a single screw in the place shown in the above pictures that Danny posted. There's also the plastic adjuster.

Maybe I got a screw loose and it fell out?

This is my rear mech, the stop screws are the bottom 2 in the picture, you may not be able to see them from above.

Attachments

wibble

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2008
Oh god I'm blind!!

yep, I see them on mine now. hehe

I was looking at the larger screw higher up and didn't spot those little screws lower down. :eek:

Thanks, Mussels!. You've saved me tons of trouble! :)

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West
At it's limit? Hmmm... that doesn't sound right to me; usually, there's always room left in both directions to turn the knurled barrel when it's finally set-up, 'just so'.
- Anyway, see what comes out in the wash.

wibble

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2008
Well that was annoying!!

I finally got around to adjusting my gears and after spending an hour fiddling with the screws and still not getting anywhere, I decided I would try to adjust the cable. But nope, still no luck!.

So I just unfastened the cable completely thinking that the derailleur would be totally free and would naturally go into a position for the smallest for cog, but oh no!. I still couldn't get the chain to shift from 5th to 6th.

So after much head scratching and pondering I finally figured out what was happening. The stupid overzealous derailleur guard was restricting the derailleur's movement. ARRGH!

Well after all the frustration I was more than happy to bend the bugger back into its place. Grrr.

All is fine now. :)

and I just went on an errand in 7th gear. wooooosh!

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
NOW your flying!

Into 7th, press the green "afterburner" button, wang the throttle wide open and pedal like the clappers!!

Warp factor 7 please Mr Sulu!!

Advertisers