Don`t leave home without one of these .

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
After previously having trouble inflating a tyre after a puncture with a normal Cycle pump , I decided to purchase a Battery powered tyre inflator from Ebay . Well today I used it after a flat tyre 2 miles from home and avoided pushing home . Mine was £28 but there are many different Models and it will also come in handy for my Motorcycles as well .

pichipedals

Pedelecer
Jan 7, 2016
I carry the ‘jet valve’ co2 inflator from Halfords, but carry 2 x 16g (larger than the ones that come with it) canisters just in case.

Stan‘s sealant and puncture protection tyres stop me from worrying about punctures every minute too.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
After previously having trouble inflating a tyre after a puncture with a normal Cycle pump , I decided to purchase a Battery powered tyre inflator from Ebay . Well today I used it after a flat tyre 2 miles from home and avoided pushing home . Mine was £28 but there are many different Models and it will also come in handy for my Motorcycles as well .
What is it?

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
They call it a Wireless Inflatable Pump Q5 Q3 2000mAh . I call it a Battery Powered Tyre Inflator .

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I carry a mini cycle pump doesn't need batteries, the kiss method is easier. For back up a mini co2 inflator is carried.

mt247

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2020
You should get brand called Xiaomi, it's absolute best of these battery powered inflators:

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
WheezyRider - even your name makes me chuckle - slime - at worse it'll help get you home.

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
Call me crazy but a Crank Brothers mini pump weighs 1/3rd of the Xiaomi, at 40%-ish of the cost, and is the same size (20cm long):
The 'normal' pump also mounts direct to the bike - bonus!
Oh, and the normal pump doesn't run out. :oops:

If you have problems with your hands then the Xiaomi would be invaluable, but I don't really understand battery-powered pumps for the average user.
Am I missing something horribly obvious?

RetiredAndRolling

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2019
RG24
In support of RoadieRoger's original post, I have to agree that a mini electric pump can be very handy, at least for me. Comparing to a manual pump, it eliminates the "will I, won't I?" thought when your tyre is a little soft. When inflation is so easy I plug it in and it is sorted in moments. Also, as there is no wiggling during inflation, I find I get a better seal on the valve compared to my mini manual pump. The charge lasts for ages and it takes up little room. If you are the sort of person that is contemplating one for convenience, go ahead and be happy.

mt247

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2020
Call me crazy but a Crank Brothers mini pump weighs 1/3rd of the Xiaomi, at 40%-ish of the cost, and is the same size (20cm long):
The 'normal' pump also mounts direct to the bike - bonus!
Oh, and the normal pump doesn't run out. :oops:

If you have problems with your hands then the Xiaomi would be invaluable, but I don't really understand battery-powered pumps for the average user.
Am I missing something horribly obvious?
It's quite good for checking your tire pressure and you can easily pump as many psi as you want.

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
It's quite good for checking your tire pressure and you can easily pump as many psi as you want.
I meant the mini-pump is for punctures out in the wild, not for everyday use. I should have qualified that, sorry.
For a pump in the garage/house, a track pump is even cheaper, and much quicker, and it's got a gauge:

However, buying two pumps does get you to the Xaomi price, though. Damn! :oops:

In terms of mini-pump capability it's 100psi versus 150psi for Xaomi. 150psi is rock hard. Not many electric bikes are shod with 100psi+ tyres, so I'd say that's merely a useful marketing stat. Marathons are 95psi max, as an example:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Surely, the best solution is to use Schwalbe marathon Plus tyres and not need to carry a pump at all, and not have to waste time pumping up your tyres in the middle of a ride.

When I go on my road bike, I carry a Lezyne mini-pump, which is very light and works on every tyre. I've fixed more punctures with it on other people's bikes than my own. On a road bike every gram counts. Why would you want to spend thousands of pounds extra to save 500g on the bike's weight, then take a 700g pump or a 1.5kg lock with you?

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
Why would you want to spend thousands of pounds extra to save 500g on the bike's weight, then take a 700g pump or a 1.5kg lock with you?
If we're talking just weight, a pair of Marathon Plus tyres weighs 1320g more than my tyres - that's 2 Xiaomi pumps-worth (Contental Gatorskins, with better puncture resistance than Marathon Plus). However, in the real world of pounds rather than grams, the true weight saving is to be found in the porky body astride my bike. :eek:

Back on pumps, my point on the Xiaomi is that it seems to offer no advantages (hand/wrist problems excepted), and several disadvantages - more space, more weight, no mounting kit, more dollar, useless if not charged up. Fun to use though, I'm sure!

Reactions: MontyPAS

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
If we're talking just weight, a pair of Marathon Plus tyres weighs 1320g more than my tyres - that's 2 Xiaomi pumps-worth (Contental Gatorskins, with better puncture resistance than Marathon Plus). However, in the real world of pounds rather than grams, the true weight saving is to be found in the porky body astride my bike. :eek:

Back on pumps, my point on the Xiaomi is that it seems to offer no advantages (hand/wrist problems excepted), and several disadvantages - more space, more weight, no mounting kit, more dollar, useless if not charged up. Fun to use though, I'm sure!
Out of interest, are you getting punctures with those Gatorskins?