Don't forget your helmet

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Apparently not in Denmark though. Watch any video of cycling in Denmark and you'll see most cyclists don't wear them there. That's probably because, like the Dutch, they cycle more than anyone else in Europe and retain a sense of proportion.

Their authorities keep trying and release propaganda videos showing as many with helmets as possible by careful editing, but as even those videos show, very few do.

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
When helmets became mandatory in Australia I took my bike to the tip and never rode again there. Ridiculous - cycling in 42deg with a stupid padded hat on was not for me or thousands upon thousands of other Aussies. The statistics just do not add up and no matter how the authorities tried to spin it, you have to have a particular set of circumstances before they actually make a difference.

It all a big con and - at least in Australia - anything any manufacturer makes to do with health and safety will be assured of a receptive ear from the political recipients of brown paper envelopes.

Now thankfully back in Blighty I was able to resume my cycling.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
When helmets became mandatory in Australia I took my bike to the tip and never rode again there. Ridiculous - cycling in 42deg with a stupid padded hat on was not for me or thousands upon thousands of other Aussies. The statistics just do not add up and no matter how the authorities tried to spin it, you have to have a particular set of circumstances before they actually make a difference.

It all a big con and - at least in Australia - anything any manufacturer makes to do with health and safety will be assured of a receptive ear from the political recipients of brown paper envelopes.

Now thankfully back in Blighty I was able to resume my cycling.

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020
Yeah, I'd want full leathers and a proper crash helmet at that speed, and having hit a car while wearing same (40mph, on a motorbike) I can vouch for 'you still get hospital, but at least you live'.

Bare arms? No helmet? 70kph.. Hmm = "no brains",
Aka evolution in action.

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
Yeah, I'd want full leathers and a proper crash helmet at that speed, and having hit a car while wearing same (40mph, on a motorbike) I can vouch for 'you still get hospital, but at least you live'.

Bare arms? No helmet? 70kph.. Hmm = "no brains",
Aka evolution in action.
Yep, monkeys with shoes.

Reactions: flecc

MaryFerg

Just Joined
Jun 16, 2021
I hit a fallen- over estate agent sign that had landed across the cycle path during a late night home from
work, and went head over wheels with my head landing on the busy Westway-A40 westbound . If I hadn’t had a helmet on I wouldn’t be here today. No helmet is asking for trouble.

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
I hit a fallen- over estate agent sign that had landed across the cycle path during a late night home from
work, and went head over wheels with my head landing on the busy Westway-A40 westbound . If I hadn’t had a helmet on I wouldn’t be here today. No helmet is asking for trouble.
Best not to get the Flat Earth brigade started.

Yak

Pedelecer
Mar 20, 2020
It’s a tricky one. I don’t know what the laws are in the UK any more, but I suppose helmets should be mandatory for under 16/18 year olds, as they aren’t ‘responsible’, and should have protection regardless of what their parents think, but for adults - well, it’s your head. I always wear one, and it gets stupidly hot out here, but I like descending fast and that’s my choice. I suppose the argument for mandatory helmets is the cost of treatment for those in accidents without one? Any other reason? To stop a driver feeling bad if they kill a cyclist without a helmet lol?

• Agree
Reactions: Amoto65

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Back in the late 70s, I used to wear a helmet for my cycle commute to work, you could buy them then as they were used by track cyclists.

Helmets did not become fashionable for the masses till maybe for 20 years later.

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Back in the late 70s, I used to wear a helmet for my cycle commute to work, you could buy them then as they were used by track cyclists.

Helmets did not become fashionable for the masses till maybe for 20 years later.
Yes, it wasn't until the 1990s that they started to become noticeable. Today some sources say 38% of cyclists wear them in Britain, though apparently some 60% own a helmet. That seems to fit with this forum where many say they don't always wear them, it depending on circumstances.

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
There is good evidence that wearing a helmet reduces or eliminates head injuries for cyclists. I'm an A&E consultant & I always wear a helmet. 90% of the time I go cycling with my wife & we both wear a Sena R1 helmet which have a fantastic Bluetooth intercom system. They cost £100 but are utterly brilliant.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Yes, it wasn't until the 1990s that they started to become noticeable.
For a good many years I never saw any other cyclist in my city that wore a helmet.

I used to have fun poked at me (by other cyclists) as if it was me who was the fool.

• :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I used to have fun poked at me (by other cyclists) as if it was me who was the fool.
Yes, that's an odd attitude. In the Netherlands where almost everyone cycles hardly any of them wear helmets, but they'd never dream of mickey taking the few who do. Each to their own as far as I'm concerned, it's personal choice.

In over seventy years of cycling I never wore one for even a minute nor ever owned one. I didn't need one since I never bounced my head along the road, but there's no doubt many others do need them judging by their graphic accident accounts and videos in here and elsewhere.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Yes, that's an odd attitude. In the Netherlands where almost everyone cycles hardly any of them wear helmets, but they'd never dream of mickey taking the few who do.
From my limited experience of Amsterdam (2018) and Amersfoot (1975) things are quite different there, seems to me that cyclists\motorists\pedestrians mix quite well.

Over here, the UK, its very different.

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
From my limited experience of Amsterdam (2018) and Amersfoot (1975) things are quite different there, seems to me that cyclists\motorists\pedestrians mix quite well.

Over here, the UK, its very different.
Its all about government attitudes. Back at the start of the 1970s the Dutch government saw how cars were rapidly taking the place of bicycles which had dropped to around 45% usage from being universal. So they acted promptly to restrain that by more controls on motor vehicles and more freedom and advantages for cyclists. That's when they started their long term program of building good cycling facilities and giving bicycles precedence over motor vehicles.

For us the 1970s were too late. Suffering far less WW2 damage we recovered more quickly and through the late 1950s and 1960s had largely abandoned bicycles in favour of cars and scooters like Vespas and Lambrettas. Early in the 1970s the majority of our cycle dealers shut up shop with only kids left riding bikes like the Chopper etc.

And of course once people are in cars, it's nigh on impossible to get them back out again. Any government that tried it seriously would simply lose the next election.

Last edited:

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Its all about government attitudes. Back at the start of the 1970s the Dutch government saw how cars were rapidly taking the place of bicycles which had dropped to around 45% usage from being universal. So they acted promptly to restrain that by more controls on motor vehicles and more freedom and advantages for cyclists. That's when they started their long term program of building good cycling facilities and giving bicycles precedence over motor vehicles.

For us the 1970s were too late. Suffering far less WW2 damage we recovered more quickly and through the late 1950s and 1960s had largely abandoned bicycles in favour of cars and scooters like Vespas and Lambrettas. Early in the 1970s the majority of our cycle dealers shut up shop with only kids left riding bikes like the Chopper etc.

And of course once people are in cars, it's nigh on impossible to get them back out again. Any government that tried it seriously would simply lose the next election.
What I do notice is a creeping increase in 20 mph speed limits in built up areas, and even an extension of 50 mph limits on Motorways. The M4 at Port Talbot is 50 mph for over 5 miles now, all in the name of reducing pollution as it passes through a built up area.
Of course, the fact that lowering speed limits will favour range for ecars is entirely co-incidental!.