Help! Double kickstand help

anna_d

Just Joined
Jun 20, 2020
Hello,

I am relatively new to the world of electric bikes having bought Cube Town Sport Hybrid Pro 400 before Christmas for my commute to and from work. I’m loving it and using it more and more and the car less and less. The only issue I’m having with it is that I can’t find a double kickstand that will fit the bike... the motor is mid drive so where the kickstand would usually attach is a different and is much too big for an ordinary kickstand plate. I’ve two kids and take one of them on a rear seat and would love to take the other on a front seat but I’m unable as you really need a stable double kickstand to get the kids on and off safely. Anyone here any experience of this?Any suggestions of a double kickstand I should try?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A pic of the bike would help us.

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
Hi, on motorcycles I use the centre-stand when I need the bike stable. If you search for bicycle-centre-stand or bicycle-bipod-stand you might find something with a fitting to suit your bike.
(or maybe somebody with more experience of bikes like yours can have a look and offer advice)

Maybe look at some of the parenting forums (mumsnet ?) to see if the question has been asked there?

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hello,

I am relatively new to the world of electric bikes having bought Cube Town Sport Hybrid Pro 400 before Christmas for my commute to and from work. I’m loving it and using it more and more and the car less and less. The only issue I’m having with it is that I can’t find a double kickstand that will fit the bike... the motor is mid drive so where the kickstand would usually attach is a different and is much too big for an ordinary kickstand plate. I’ve two kids and take one of them on a rear seat and would love to take the other on a front seat but I’m unable as you really need a stable double kickstand to get the kids on and off safely. Anyone here any experience of this?Any suggestions of a double kickstand I should try?
Have you contacted the bike supplier/manufacturer as they may have one "waiting on the shelf" so to say.
Also, send emails around to bike stand suppliers, mentioning your model, and perhaps supplying a few clear photos from various angle, detailing the clearances and problems.
If you find nothing that just fits, then look around for a good heavy duty one, as e-bikes are generally heavier than normal bikes, and see if a friend or an engineering shop can make you a sturdy adapter plate.
But I would be (unpleasantly!) surprised if there was not already one made for your bike....
Best of luck.
Andy

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
Hello,

What about something like this which are very popular with bike riders in Japan

Reactions: Scorpio

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
seem to be lots on amazon,
I looked and the design you posted seems to be excellent, but it is not advertised as being for e-bikes, as I found to my costs some years ago after purchasing something very similar!
In the end, I had to weld extra supporting pieces to allow it to take the weight better (though still not perfect! I replaced it around a year later with a stronger, made for e-bike version).
A similar design to the one you posted, in stronger format ( my wording), that is also noted as being for e-bikes, may be a better long term choice for the OP.
My first e-bike was very cheap, very little alumium and lots of steel! But I have no real idea how heavy it was, but guessing 40 Kgs or so...But very reliable!
Using the Amazon ad you posted as an example, as a basis for a search, simply by adding "e-bike", I found this bike stand for up to 80Kg, that may possibly be a slightly better choice for the OP:-
I expect there are many more if one searches for e-bike stands, but whether they can be fitted to the OP's own bike, I have no idea!
Andy

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If you find nothing that just fits, then look around for a good heavy duty one, as e-bikes are generally heavier than normal bikes, and see if a friend or an engineering shop can make you a sturdy adapter plate.
But I would be (unpleasantly!) surprised if there was not already one made for your bike....
On the majority of centre motor e-bikes it just isn't possible to fit any centre stand or adapter plate.

Conventional bikes have a transverse plate bridging the frame chainstays just to the rear of the bottom bracket for stands to be mounted. As the low down photo below of a typical e-bike centre motor shows, that space between the bottom bracket and the bike's rear wheel is filled by the rest of the motor unit. Any twin leg stand would have to bolt to the motor unit, and there's no suitable attachment points. There would also be warranty implications in using the motor unit casing to support the bike's weight. Makers of centre motor e-bikes usually incorporate a propstand mounting point elsewhere on the bike:

New Left hand side.jpg

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
A stand on the rear stay is much better for a bike with loaded rear panniers than one mounted next to the cranks. However, I don't think it would suit the OPs requirement for stability on a bike with children on both front and rear seats.

We used a trailer for two children at that sort of age (custom conversion of regular trailer as 'proper' child trailers ones were few and far between 35 years ago). We went through different combinations of rear seat, front seat, trailer, and finally tandem (2x adult) with front seat (small child) and Hann trailer (big child).

If I remember right we never had a mix of front and rear seat at the same time; with a 3 1/2 year gap the bigger child was too big for a rear seat before the smaller one was big enough for a front one.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
A stand on the rear stay is much better for a bike with loaded rear panniers than one mounted next to the cranks. However, I don't think it would suit the OPs requirement for stability on a bike with children on both front and rear seats.

We used a trailer for two children at that sort of age (custom conversion of regular trailer as 'proper' child trailers ones were few and far between 35 years ago). We went through different combinations of rear seat, front seat, trailer, and finally tandem (2x adult) with front seat (small child) and Hann trailer (big child).

If I remember right we never had a mix of front and rear seat at the same time; with a 3 1/2 year gap the bigger child was too big for a rear seat before the smaller one was big enough for a front one.
I really like the trailer idea, and it would be available for some heavy/bulky shopping too if needed!!
Andy

anna_d

Just Joined
Jun 20, 2020
Thanks for all the replies.

I have scoured the internet for a suitable kickstand but all the plates are tiny. The problem is that the chainstays are too wide where you could fit a plate to attach a double kickstand. They are about 10cm wide, all the stands are narrower than this as far as I can find. I even bought one from Halfords to try but it wasn’t big enough.

I have also looked on Cube’s website... it suggests the side kickstand that was supplied with the bike. This snapped off with about 2 months of use with only 1 child on the bike so I don’t think there’s any point replacing it with the same again.

I’ve attached some photos that hopefully illustrate my issue and maybe somebody has come across something suitable. Otherwise, I’ll have to go down the route of getting something made I guess.

Thanks again for all the replies!

Attachments

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Thanks for all the replies.

I have scoured the internet for a suitable kickstand but all the plates are tiny. The problem is that the chainstays are too wide where you could fit a plate to attach a double kickstand. They are about 10cm wide, all the stands are narrower than this as far as I can find. I even bought one from Halfords to try but it wasn’t big enough.

I have also looked on Cube’s website... it suggests the side kickstand that was supplied with the bike. This snapped off with about 2 months of use with only 1 child on the bike so I don’t think there’s any point replacing it with the same again.

I’ve attached some photos that hopefully illustrate my issue and maybe somebody has come across something suitable. Otherwise, I’ll have to go down the route of getting something made I guess.

Thanks again for all the replies!
The second photo appears to me to be the front of the chain stays from below, with a glimpse of the end of the mudguard.
The useful hole has a cable running through it, which might be re-routable possibly, so as to leave the hole free?
Then a plate could be made out of say 6mm mild steel, or even stainless steel (no need to paint!), shaped and with a lip on at least 3 sides to locate it securely. Then a top plate, with holes for bolts, that would pull the two plates together, glued to the chain stays with thick mastic/or fiber glass.
A central hole in both plates, to allow the screw of the bike stand to pass through, though perhaps a longer one than standard can be bought on ebay......if needed.
Do remember that the chain stays can be easily crushed, as they are only thin wall tubing, so you will need distance pieces between both plates, to absorb the crushing force, and the mastic/or fiber glass, to glue the plates to the chain stays.
Before the final mounting, when everything has been tested for accuracy, dismantle and clean everything with meths, to allow stronger gluing.
No promises if that is truly viable or not, sorry.....But that is roughly what I would do.
I am sure some other good ideas will also be forthcoming from other members.
Andy

Reactions: anna_d