Double pinion kit for bosch emtb

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I received my double pinion kit from Italy today and fitted it without a hitch but am getting a transmission noise that gets progressively louder when going from gear 3 through 2 to 1.
I thought at first the chain was rubbing on rhe engine casing but it isn't touching anywhere..
Any ideas?

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
And the photos?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
What's a double pinion kit?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
What is the chainline like in those gears? Noise may be coming from the cassette. Same noise on both chainwheels or only on the big one?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
That's going to get costly if like me, a sprocket only lasts about 500 miles and you have to use their specific sprockets.

That is the second film clip in as many days showing poor workshop practice video. Putting a hammer through the spokes to use as a lever! The guy should be shot! The second was the Bosch clip, showing the technician laying parts and tools on the ground.

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Is the side of the chain rubbing on the bigger ring?

Also bear in mind there is a surprisingly large amount of twisting force on the bottom bracket when you are pedalling.

So what happens when you spin the pedals on the workstand may not be what happens when you are riding the bike.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Is the side of the chain rubbing on the bigger ring?

Also bear in mind there is a surprisingly large amount of twisting force on the bottom bracket when you are pedalling.

So what happens when you spin the pedals on the workstand may not be what happens when you are riding the bike.
Good point

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
It seems to be coming from the front small ring (inside) when in the 2 lowest gears. chain line looks bad but not much different from before.
Yeah I would guess rubbing on cassette then. Bikes are fabulous when it comes to detecting where a noise is from they transmit vibrations so well. I have a seat noise but you would swear one of the pedals is loose...

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
looks like its not on far enough from these pics.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
looks like its not on far enough from these pics.

Could be, although presumably the inner ring on Phil's bike is seated in the same place as the original single ring.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it should be will find out when he measures it ;) could be just a bad fitting sprocket if thats the case.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Just put the old one back and it's exactly the same. So refitted without the bash ring and am going out to see what's what.
One thing that occurs is the sprocket is very small and new and the chain is 650 miles old

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it looks like its on better in that pic, cant see the chain making that much difference tbh.

the chain line should be best on the smaller sprocket.

Reactions: Gubbins

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I reckon Soundwave is correct, although now that you have reverted back to the OE set up, who knows.

My thoughts are or rather were, that your bike has the modified outer bearing seal fitted, where as the KTM Macina Lycan that SW has shown doesn't. This allows the kit to sit further back.

You might well need to either remove your outer bearing seal modification and chance it, or get the company that supplied the kit, to supply a seal with a reduced web/flange. As you don't ride in harsh muddy conditions, not having the modified bearing seal wouldn't be so much of an issue. It's your call though.

Related Articles

Advertisers