DPC-14 Colour Display / Bafang BBS02 Controller

robwalley

Pedelecer
Apr 17, 2012
Gloucester
I've been beta testing the eggrider device which after some improvements should be just the ticket, however I have noticed some differences that indicate some strange things.

When programming the controller I have 20% level 1 rising to 100% level 9. This is on a 36v 500w BBS02 with 14.5a battery. The amps limit is set to 21.

On the eggrider, level one pulls around 150watts (seems right), but way underpowered against the DPC14, this pulls 240watts at the same level. How can this be if both are just setting the same levels on the controller. The differences continue through the range, but getting narrower, eventually on level 9 both pull around 750watts.

Of course the watts reading on the DPC-14 and the app could be off, but they feel right when pedalling and while I set (I thought the controller) to my likings, it's fairly obvious the DPC14 is not just changing the controller setting (and it's wrong).

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Where are the settings stored, in the controller or in the LCD?

robwalley

Pedelecer
Apr 17, 2012
Gloucester
Where are the settings stored, in the controller or in the LCD?
Well everything I've done or understood is that it's stored at the controller(the display is unplugged when programming the controller with the BafangConfigTool software), so how come the DPC14 appears to be misinterpreting/changing the settings?

robwalley

Pedelecer
Apr 17, 2012
Gloucester
EggRider?

Didn`t they run out of money??

How are you changing the PAS levels?
I have a beta eggrider bluetooth box, there is plenty wrong with it, but it works. I can set the levels via the app, it has all the same settings as the bafangconfigtool software but I haven't yet.

Levels are changed and set with the BafangConfigTool software at the controller and as I understand it the app or display just sets the level (1-9) hence the confusion.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Well everything I've done or understood is that it's stored at the controller(the display is unplugged when programming the controller with the BafangConfigTool software), so how come the DPC14 appears to be misinterpreting/changing the settings?
My only conclusion is that there must be something stored in the LCD, that is the only way this makes sense. When I unplugged my LCD-3 from one controller and plugged into another it still showed the same number of total km so there is some kind of memory in those. Maybe the Bafang LCD has non volatile memory too?

robwalley

Pedelecer
Apr 17, 2012
Gloucester
My only conclusion is that there must be something stored in the LCD, that is the only way this makes sense. When I unplugged my LCD-3 from one controller and plugged into another it still showed the same number of total km so there is some kind of memory in those. Maybe the Bafang LCD has non volatile memory too?
Yes, it's supposed to store trips and max mph etc, it is a cycle computer, but the programmed assist level in percentage of the power output is stored at the controller only. What I think I've missed is the fact that the eggrider app only works in 9 assist levels mode and my DPC-14 was set to 5 assists, thus is pulls 1,3,5,7,9 assists from the controller for levels 1-5 on the display hence my " what the f**k is going on" face. I am now only testing in the full 9 level mode and it seems to now add up.

• Agree
Reactions: anotherkiwi

Advertisers