Dropping In just to update.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Hello Guys,
Long time no hear! For the members who remember me I bought the Trek Fx to help me my knee until it healed. We i just could not sell that bike, so almost 4 years down the line the bike is still performing like the day i bought it. I have to say that although the bionx kit is expensive it really is an astonishing piece of kit. 4 years down the line and I notice absolutely no battery deterioration, some of that could be I just got fitter and compensated but 4 years and thousands of miles all is well. I know they stopped importing the bike, sad day as Trek were the only manufacturer to give a proper full range of frame sizes mine is 25" unlike the children's frames they seem to offer on electric bikes, one frame does not fit all they really need to learn this.

So the knee is healed and im back onto my ridgeback panorama full time, in fact we are planning a nice big trip next year. And yes its all thanks to the electric bike this has been made possible. We are cycling from Donaueschingen (Black forest) to Budapest (1350Km) over the summer period. So to all the critics of electric bikes i raise the glass of JD and say ^&^(*, they are fantastic machines. But seriously there was no way I could have stayed cycle fit without it and I will never part with it now. There are so many more choices available now but I would still pick the Trek due to frame size. I will probably use the panorama for the trip but considering the Thorn nomad, mmm we will see.

billadie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2010
Tewkesbury
Good to hear things going well, and enjoy the trip. Would be tempted by the Trex but would need a ladder to get on it.:eek:

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Thanks billadie, yes it was tough going but well worth it. I still cannot get over the attitude toward electric bikes in this country the amount of snide comments that were made about the bike ! I just do not get the UK sometimes they are just so narrow minded. I used to go to great lengths to hide that it was electric, luckily the Trek is very easy to hide from the casual observer. Until this mentality drops in the UK they will never catch on.

C

Cyclezee

I still cannot get over the attitude toward electric bikes in this country the amount of snide comments that were made about the bike ! I just do not get the UK sometimes they are just so narrow minded. I used to go to great lengths to hide that it was electric, luckily the Trek is very easy to hide from the casual observer. Until this mentality drops in the UK they will never catch on.
Hi Overlander,

I completely understand what you are saying and like you, don't understand the attitude in the UK.

On Friday we exhibited at the Network Rail HQ in Milton Keynes where we got a few negative comments, but on the whole, people did get the point and were quite receptive.

However, I spent 5 minutes talking to one quite intelligent but not very observant young man who I assumed knew what he was looking at. He thought the bikes were a bit expensive...........but he hadn't realised they were electric:eek:

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I used to go to great lengths to hide that it was electric
This could be adding to the problem, we should be flaunting the fact that we have electric.
If folk think we are ashamed then they will have a dig at us.
I fully agree about the difficulty of getting a larger framed bike, I guess it's partly because the cheaper end come from China where folk are generally not as tall.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I fully agree about the difficulty of getting a larger framed bike, I guess it's partly because the cheaper end come from China where folk are generally not as tall.
That's partly it, but the biggest factor is that a smaller bike can be sold to and ridden by a larger person, while a larger bike is restricted to the large. With a limit to the number of bikes that can be stocked for a very small market, suppliers will limit stocks by having a one (smaller) size policy.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
a smaller bike can be sold to and ridden by a larger person
Only if you don't mind banging your knees on the handlebars and being thoroughly uncomfortable.:D
I think your assessment is quite right, sadly resulting in a lot of folk riding bikes that are usable but far too small for them.
Thank goodness I could buy a kit.:)

billadie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2010
Tewkesbury
Only if you don't mind banging your knees on the handlebars and being thoroughly uncomfortable.:D
I think your assessment is quite right, sadly resulting in a lot of folk riding bikes that are usable but far too small for them.
Thank goodness I could buy a kit.:)
Consider yourself fortunate. I go to buy trousers. They cut 5 inches off the bottom, the fit is all wrong, and they want to charge you extra! :eek:

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
Consider yourself fortunate. I go to buy trousers. They cut 5 inches off the bottom, the fit is all wrong, and they want to charge you extra! :eek:
Now there is a thread in it's own right :D
Even if you can find the right leg length, you are expected to have the waist of a wasp:mad:

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
My partner has exactly the same problem.
We also struggled to get her a decent quality bike with a small enough frame.

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Hello Guys,
We are cycling from Donaueschingen (Black forest) to Budapest (1350Km) over the summer period.
Sounds a really good trip. Are you following the Danube path all the way? I'm interested as I have friends and family in Bratislava and I know the route along the Danube for 50 miles or so quite well.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Sounds a really good trip. Are you following the Danube path all the way? I'm interested as I have friends and family in Bratislava and I know the route along the Danube for 50 miles or so quite well.
Hi Hugh,
We are pretty much planning on following the cycle route but prepared to deviate from it. Maybe you could help us, we are really struggling to get GPS coordinates for the route do you know of any site which has them. Failing that we will just buy the 4 maps and do things the old way.

Do you know what the standard of the route is or areas we should avoid.

Thanks for any help.