Dry Lube ??

Bob_about

Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2009
Warks/Glos Border
First - I have tried the search function, but didnt get much response ref the use of dry lube on chains.

From what I can see there appear to be "dry" chain lube options which claim to attract less dirt. One recommended alot by motorcyclists is Wurth dry chain lube, and wiggle appear to have a couple of options from Finish Line or Rock & Roll.

I have been pretty religeous about cleaning old oil and grit off my chain and then replacing with a sparing coat of new chain oil, but recent weather has seen quite alot of dirt thrown up.

Are these dry lube options any better? Anyone have any experience of them? Part of me is thinking if they are good enough for a motorbike they should be fine for me - but am I missing something?

All the best

Bob_about

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
First - I have tried the search function, but didnt get much response ref the use of dry lube on chains.

From what I can see there appear to be "dry" chain lube options which claim to attract less dirt. One recommended alot by motorcyclists is Wurth dry chain lube, and wiggle appear to have a couple of options from Finish Line or Rock & Roll.

I have been pretty religeous about cleaning old oil and grit off my chain and then replacing with a sparing coat of new chain oil, but recent weather has seen quite alot of dirt thrown up.

Are these dry lube options any better? Anyone have any experience of them? Part of me is thinking if they are good enough for a motorbike they should be fine for me - but am I missing something?

All the best

Bob_about
I use dry lube on mine, goes on wet and dries to a wax, it sheds itself over time and the dirt and grit drop off with it, needs frequent application, only really for use in dry conditions as when the winter comes around I switch to intermediate or wet weather lube.

It's all snake oil and will cost you loads, maybe we could get a bulk deal.

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
I've used WD40 or GT85 for 30 odd years now - redo every couple of weeks and wipe chain down with a lube-y rag afterwards. I've used nothing else in this time - oil makes a vile soupy mess and needs much more cleaning.

garrence

Pedelecer
Jun 10, 2010
There's loads of great lubes available now. Have a browse through the reviews on Wiggle or BikeRadar.

They might seem quite dear but you only need a small fraction of the bottle each time. You'll use less of the ones that last longer of course.

Dry lubes are particularly popular for off road because they pick up less muck. Some of them claim to work in all conditions.